Ebay Scammer Want Refund, What Can I Do To Not Give Him The Money Back?

Basically I sold an account on eBay without tracking, I know its my fault and that there is a risk with selling stuff like these on eBay. I have 58 positive reviews from selling, and he has 1.

I sold the account three weeks ago, and today, the buyer wants a refund because the the buyer said the item " Doesn't match description or photos". Now, I know that if I send an item without any tracking, and the buyer said the item never arrived, I would be **bleep**ed. But since he said item doesn't match descriptions basically means he admits that he got the item.

Now is there anything I can do to not have the money removed from my account and go to collections.? I don't care about the eBay account. I heard that for the return to be approved, the item has to be sent back to me, can I accept the return and see if he sends back the item with tracking since the only thing that was sent was the email and password. This plan doesn't really work if he just makes a fake mail with tracking. 

Another idea I had was too close my bank account associated with eBay , but I think that would probably be sent to collection.

Literally any ideas because i need the money for next month rent, and imma be in overdraft if that gets yoinked out of my bank account. 

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

There are two basic types of Dispute: Not Recieved and Not As Described.

With Not Received you have to provide tracking to win the dispute. Actually you have to provide Proof of Delivery which is a lower level of service.

With Not As Described  you have to send Return Shipping, with proof of delivery and then refund on return.

BUT

An account?

Was this a digital item?

You have no protection under the Money Back Guarantee. However, neither does he. Because you cannot prove delivery and neither can he prove that it is not as described.

EBay and Paypal will not get involved. You are both on your own.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Your only real choice is to accept the return and provide a return shipping label. You will probably get an empty box back and you'll have to refund in spite of that.

Selling of gaming accounts is a sensitive issue, you may not be legally allowed by the game company and even if you are I assume it is a digital item which is only allowed as an eBay Classified Ad Format listing. eBay are not likely going to back you on this.

Even it by some miracle you were to win the case the next stop for the buyer is a PayPal claim or something via their credit card.

Just checked it out, appears selling or transfering this game account is forbidden by the user agreement with miHoYo.

And yes I know there are plenty of sites that offer to buy and sell these accounts.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 2 of 7
latest reply

There are two basic types of Dispute: Not Recieved and Not As Described.

With Not Received you have to provide tracking to win the dispute. Actually you have to provide Proof of Delivery which is a lower level of service.

With Not As Described  you have to send Return Shipping, with proof of delivery and then refund on return.

BUT

An account?

Was this a digital item?

You have no protection under the Money Back Guarantee. However, neither does he. Because you cannot prove delivery and neither can he prove that it is not as described.

EBay and Paypal will not get involved. You are both on your own.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Re: Seller Protections.

Appears Seller protections vary between dot com and dot ca. See post 23

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Can-I-please-bang-my-head-on-the-desk/m-p/32011132#M1782700

US Link:  https://pages.ebay.com/seller-center/service-and-payments/top-rated-program.html

(See additional seller protections)

CA Link:   https://www.ebay.ca/help/policies/selling-policies/seller-protections?id=4345&st=12&pos=2&query=Sell...

(Not seeing a disclaimer for additional seller protections)

-Lotz

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

I did some more searching and i found that eBay does not cover seller protection for Digital Content, Intangible Goods.

https://www.ebay.ca/help/policies/selling-policies/seller-protections?id=4345&st=12&pos=2&query=Sell...

So my question is could i just not offer a refund, and eBay wont take the money out of my bank acocount? I I sold a digital content, i literally just sent him the name and password for account. Since he said "

Doesn't match description or photos". The  buyer did a chargeback and has negative currency on the acocunt.  Thats basically his reasoning for wanting a refund. 

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

If you want to point out/complain etc the difference in benefits between trs .ca and .com, perhaps you can start a new thread.  I haven't yet read the post that you are referring to but since the op is not a trs, they are listing  on .ca and since any trs benefits would not be valid with a digital item sale anyway,  I don't see the relevance of your links in this situation.   Perhaps it is just me but I find it confusing when I go to a link thinking that it is something that can help with the op's question only to find out it isn't related at all.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

If you sold digital account... is the account password still the same as when you sold it ? If so... login and change it, and then refund him the money if nothing's been done to alter the account.  If he's ujsed the account to play the game and has basically ruined the account... well how's that your problem ? You sold an account... not the skill needed to use the account.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply