How to deal with this bad customer?

********PLEASE DE NOT ERASE MESSAGES SINCE THEY ARE NOT FROM THE BUYER - I WROTE THEM IN MY OWN WORDS*********

From the beginning I knew had a feeling this buyer would cause problems since he left a message along the lines of :

"make sure my product is in amazing condition and comes on time if the product is late I will be expecting a full refund, Thankyou"

Then, 3 days after the tracking shows the item was delivered he messages saying something like:

"hi there sir ! i have got the same item from my dad and i dont need this one so i was hopping to cancel?"

I them informed him it was impossible to cancel at this point since the item had already been shipped and according to the tracking has been delivered to their address 3 days ago. I also told him he could return the item for a full refund but that he would be responsible for the shipping costs.

Then, he says replied something like:

"sir i have not recived anything at all i my dad has got me a mouse so i dont need this one anymore so i was trying to cancel it i have not got anything"

He also created an "Item Not Received" case stating he did not receive the item. He mentionned he his upset and will leave a negative feedback for this transaction.

This is all really frustrating as I was somehow expecting something like this to happen from the beginning...

So.. I entered the tracking number showing "Delivered to community mailbox or parcel locker". Do I need to do anything else or will eBay side with me?

Also, if he does leave a negative feedback - will I be able to have it removed?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Call Ebay after uploading tracking showing delivered into the case and have it closed in your favor.

If he opens in Paypal, do the same.

He can however still open an SNAD case and in all honesty, you will pay return shipping and refund in full because Ebay, in 99.9999% of the time will find for the buyer.

Message 2 of 18
latest reply

I was hoping I wouldn't have to call.

Won't the agent reviewing my case arrive to the same conclusion if I don't call?

Message 3 of 18
latest reply

I don't think any 'agents' review cases unless you call and speak to someone. It's my sense that they are closed by bots that look for words like 'delivered' or not. 

Your buyer cannot win an Item Not Received claim if you have tracking that shows it was Delivered to their address and a postage label printed online where ebay can check that. 

Also, I don't think the buyer can change the nature of their Resolution Centre case from INR to SNAD, although it's possible that they could open an SNAD on paypal if one for INR on ebay was opened and closed. Can a buyer still open a SNAD after an ebay case for INR is closed against them? I'm unsure. If a SNAD is open on ebay, you are forced to pay Return shipping. If a SNAD is opened on paypal, the buyer is forced to pay Return shipping.

I'd 'accept' the Return case request and see what comes of it. Often, when the buyer is faced with Return postage and a restocking fee, they decide it's not worth their trouble after all.

If you get back a dead rat instead of a mouse, then you have a case for fraud on your hands. That starts with ebay and/or paypal but ends at a police station with a mail fraud report. Your success in fighting a case of mail fraud is almost entirely dependent on how far you're willing to push and work to see it conclude in your favour. You will jump through hoops, but you can get your money back if the police side with you and you can prove that to paypal. 

Message 4 of 18
latest reply

@vip-marketplace wrote:

********PLEASE DE NOT ERASE MESSAGES SINCE THEY ARE NOT FROM THE BUYER - I WROTE THEM IN MY OWN WORDS*********

From the beginning I knew had a feeling this buyer would cause problems since he left a message along the lines of:

"Make sure my product is in amazing condition and comes on time if the product is late I will be expecting a full refund, Thank you."

Then, 3 days after the tracking shows the item was delivered he messages saying something like:

"hi there sir ! i have got the same item from my dad and i don't need this one so i was hopping to cancel?"

I them informed him it was impossible to cancel at this point since the item had already been shipped and according to the tracking has been delivered to their address 3 days ago. I also told him he could return the item for a full refund but that he would be responsible for the shipping costs.

Then, he says replied something like:

"sir i have not received anything at all i my dad has got me a mouse so i don't need this one anymore so i was trying to cancel it i have not got anything"

He also created an "Item Not Received" case stating he did not receive the item. He mentioned he his upset and will leave a negative feedback for this transaction.

This is all really frustrating as I was somehow expecting something like this to happen from the beginning...

So.. I entered the tracking number showing "Delivered to community mailbox or parcel locker". Do I need to do anything else or will eBay side with me?

Also, if he does leave a negative feedback - will I be able to have it removed?

Thanks!

Because the buyer threatened to leave negative feedback, then you should be able to have it removed no matter what the outcome of the case. Just make sure the threat is clear and in the messages.

Message 5 of 18
latest reply

Good point.
Message 6 of 18
latest reply

I had a similar case 2 years ago. The buyer opened INR case (120 USD item), I provided tracking number - I WON. I didn't need to contact anyone. However, it took a while, 2 weeks as I remember.  Good luck with your case!

Message 7 of 18
latest reply

@vip-marketplace wrote:

He also created an "Item Not Received" case stating he did not receive the item. He mentionned he his upset and will leave a negative feedback for this transaction.

Although that comment isn't technically a threat to leave NFB if you don't do as the buyer requests, it's just on the edge and everyone understands that it's a veiled threat.

You'll win the INR case, but as others have pointed out your chances a SNAD case are low.

In any case, as far as NBF is concerned:  

Remember that eBay might be reading your messages at some point so don't get too raunchy, but you might be able to draw the buyer out and elaborate on that threat if you steer the conversation with the right questions.

Then, if the buyer does leave NFB after threatening to do so in an "If/then" sort of format eBay will remove it.

You know:  Give him enough rope and he'll hang himself.  (It's worked for me in the past.)

(I just saw that someone else posted along those lines as well while I was typing.)

Message 8 of 18
latest reply

@sylviebee wrote:
Remember that eBay might be reading your messages at some point so don't get too raunchy, but you might be able to draw the buyer out and elaborate on that threat if you steer the conversation with the right questions.
Then, if the buyer does leave NFB after threatening to do so in an "If/then" sort of format eBay will remove it.

You know:  

Give him enough rope and he'll hang himself.  (It's worked for me in the past.)

I'm afraid I have to disagree with this advice.  Further engaging an already problematic and difficult customer (no matter how skillfully done) in an attempt to trap him into making a clear statement of FB extortion is only likely to inflame the situation, more or less guaranteeing this customer will find a way to file a SNAD claim.  Not only that, but eBay may very well see through the seller's ruse to entrap the buyer and decide to deny any request for negative FB removal. 

No, I'd cut off all direct contact with this customer at this point, and deal only through eBay's automated processes, by responding to any return request.  It appears from the OP's description that this buyer has made his behaviour clear enough that eBay will see the progression of events if they look at the messages.   

Three things for the OP to consider: 

• I'd stand firm on not paying for return postage (eBay's automated system will not make you do this if you can show proof of delivery, which you do have).
  • Deal with the negative FB issue if and when it arises, first by requesting eBay remove it on the basis of messages sent by the buyer so far, and alternatively by leaving a formal response if you do get negative FB.  Remember that seller responses should appear calm, professional and accurate in order to be effective.  As a buyer, I've forgiven many a seller an occasional negative FB if their responses reflect a reasonable and understandable position. 
  • If the buyer ends up filing a SNAD claim, call eBay (or Paypal, as the case may be) and give them the history of this transaction, especially the fact that the buyer made no initial claim to you that there was anything wrong, but that he admitted it was a buyer's mistake/remorse situation.  That may make a difference. 

Best of luck with this -- you are in the right, so deal with this as professionally and indifferently as you can. 

Message 9 of 18
latest reply

"Not only that, but eBay may very well see through the seller's ruse to entrap the buyer and decide to deny any request for negative FB removal."

I think you're reading more into the advice given than was intended. No one is advising entrapment from what I understood of the comment.
Message 10 of 18
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just because the buyer didn't like it or change his mind doesn't mean we sellers have to pay the return shipping!  It is unfair to the sellers!!

Message 11 of 18
latest reply

If the Dispute is opened as "Not As Described", the seller is deemed to have made an error and is required to pay return postage.

If the Dispute is -- not sure what it's called by eBay-- "Buyer Remorse", the buyer is required to pay return postage.

Message 12 of 18
latest reply

Quick follow-up:

The buyer called eBay after sending me like 12 angry messages and they stepped-in within 2 hours:

--------------------------------------------------------------

Hi ggmalkavian,

eBay opened a case because of an issue with an item purchased from you. We reviewed the case and have decided to issue the buyer a full refund of C $xxxxx. The refund includes the purchase price plus original shipping. The hold on this PayPal transaction has been removed.

This case is now closed. You are not required to reimburse the buyer or eBay, and this case will not be counted in your seller performance evaluation.

You can view the details of the case in the Resolution Centre.

Comments:

You provided tracking information that shows that the item was delivered to the buyer's address. However, the buyer didn't receive it. As a courtesy, we're issuing a full refund to the buyer.

---------------------------------------------------------------

I know I wasn't charged the refund but its so obvious the buyer is full of ?%?% and made me waste so much time that I'm truly insulted and disappointed they gave him a refund...

At some point they will have to stop doing this because the word will get out how easy it is to get free stuff on eBay and it's going to become less and less profitable to sell here.

Message 13 of 18
latest reply

Just to give you an idea of what I've been dealing with for the past few days.

He just sent me this AFTER eBay decided they would refund his order in full making me think he's trying to get a refund from me as well as from eBay:

----------MODS DON'T DELETE I REWORDED THE MESSAGE--------

YO I WANT MY MONEY BACK YOUR A SCAMMER I DONT HAVE MY PRODUCT AND IM ANGRY I WANT MY MONEY BACK PRONTO I WORK HARD DAYLY AND NOW YOU JUST GONNA KEEP MY HARD WORKED MONEY IM **bleep** OFF I DONT HAVE IT THERE HAS BEEN ROBBERYS IN MY AREA AN I THINK I COULD HAVE BEEN STOLEN WHEN I WAS AT SCHOOL BUT IDEK BECAUSE I HAVENT SEEN ANYTHING AND NOW YOUR KEEPING MY DAM MONEY LIKE **bleep** GIVE IT BACK TO ME NOW ALL

I wouldn't be surprise if I still ends up leaving a negative feedback from this guy...

Message 14 of 18
latest reply

This is what I do when someone buys something and right away messages me about speed: I cancel the transaction right away & give them a refund (I select 'Buyer changed their mind' so I don't get dinged for a cancellation). I do say in the item description that the shipping time is an estimate and there can be delays. You don't want to be sending anything to someone who demands speed at time of purchase - if they are making instant demands cancel and block them right off the bat or it will not end well. Oh and since eBay's new BS seller update (cutting our TRS discount to half), who cares about negative feedback, let them leave it; there's no longer anything to lose.
Message 15 of 18
latest reply

Good grief.

I'd appeal any negative. It's not like you stole it (if that's what happened) from his doorstep.

The only consolation I can see here is that he won't get away with this twice. If he's stealing from eBay itself, they'll put a quick end to that, I'm sure.
Message 16 of 18
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi.  If I were you, I would tell him that I am going to call his local police station to report possible robbery in his area and see what he says.  It worked for me a few times when my buyers claimed they were stolen and also they don't want to be on the police alert!!

Message 17 of 18
latest reply

Y'know, I might call the station and report the theft.

But I'm not sure I would tell the scammer buyer first.

Message 18 of 18
latest reply