Spring seller update, read it and weep. More cost to sellers

38 REPLIES 38

ebay has added far more value to shareholders using its money then distributing it.  Buying paypal for $1.5B and spinning it off worth ~$50b and buying stubhub are the best things they've ever done

Message 21 of 39
latest reply

@dutchman48 wrote:

Here is the Canadian version .... 

http://pages.ebay.ca/sellerinformation/news/2017spring/index.html

That's got to be the mildest update in a long while from eBay (I had to check to see if it was April 1).

Glad to see they plan to reduce the amount of off-site ads -- the point is to keep the eyeballs on site.

Biggest impact for me will be the TRS discount reduction. Which I regard as minor, because I do my listing with the assumption of no TRS discount -- I only see it as a pleasant bonus on the monthly bill.

-..-

Message 22 of 39
latest reply

When comparing the two spring updates on .com and .ca, the changes in fog rates for store categories are not the same for computer categories. On .com it stayed the same at 4% but on .ca it rose to 4.15%.

A real change or another example of eBay.ca Canada incompetence in copying and modifying an announcement from .com.

Message 23 of 39
latest reply

@rose-dee wrote:

@dutchman48 wrote:

Don't forget the Paypal cross border increase

...  Do you mean an increase in the currency conversion fees?  When did that happen?

A change in the processing rate for sales from the USA. From 2.9% to 3.7%

Changed April 2016 for most Canadian sellers. 2.9% Canada, 3.7% to USA, 3.9% to rest of world.

April 2017 for tiered merchant rates (more than $3000 per month in paypal transactions).

https://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Central/Paypal-fee-increase/td-p/362602

More troubling are the paypal rate hikes hitting American sellers this year (gotta pay for all that buyer protection).  Those hikes are not for the Canadian side yet, but I think it's a matter of time...

March 29 for USA members (only them): The fee for currency conversion goes from 2.5 to 3.0 percent over PayPal's bank exchange rate. The standard transaction fee for sellers selling goods or services online to buyers outside the US increases from 3.9 to 4.4 percent, and non-US store transaction fees jump from 3.7 to 4.2 percent.

-..-

Message 24 of 39
latest reply

There is a topic on the seller update in the eBay News and Information section of these forums. Please post there.

http://community.ebay.ca/t5/eBay-News-and-Information/eBay-Spring-2017-seller-update/m-p/366929

ps I posted a request for weekly chats to be resumed in that topic since it is the only eBay Canada communication we have received in these forums since Raphael left. Request the chat sessions back too in that topic.

Message 25 of 39
latest reply

If your paypal a

@rose-dee wrote:

@dutchman48 wrote:
Here is the fees section, increased from 2.9% to 3.7% for international payments which is on the total including shipping charges.  https://www.paypal.com/ca/webapps/mpp/ua/useragreement-full?locale.x=en_CA#8 

Thanks for that link, but I'm thinking this does not affect me personally, since I maintain a $USD account on Paypal and receive the vast majority of my buyer's payments in $USD.  I also use those $USD to buy supplies (except for Canada Post, where conversion is necessary).  

Sorry, slighty off-topic, I know, but part of the whole fee hike picture really. 

If your paypal account is in Canada and you get paid by someone from the US you get charged the 3.7% now instead of the 2.9% it used to be. Makes no difference with currency or exchange, just the fee you are charged.

Only way around that is to have a US based Paypal account

Message 26 of 39
latest reply

The new 2017 Spring Seller Update just seems to be a fee increase. Nothing more on the Seller Hub or Turbo Lister which is one thing I thought would be discussed.

Since i am non store seller no fee increase. Stays at 10%. LOL, since I have not listed since last year at this time it does not affect me at all. Too many changes on eBay all the time and I am burned out trying to sell here. I thought I would get,a desire to list again but not yet. Maybe never. LOL again.

Message 27 of 39
latest reply

They are taking 1% of gross sales more (or less for stores in lower fvf categories)  from those with the TRS discount.  They already know people will pay it since a majority in the usa don't get the discount and are already paying more then the new trs rate.

I sure don't want to pay more, but some of the comments on .com are nuts.  If that is the difference in maing money then they weren't making enough to bother now.   For smallish sellers it doesn't amount to much in dollars

A lot of people here are already voluntarily paying much more then then difference in the rate increase by converting US$>$can at 2.5%.

Message 28 of 39
latest reply

@pocomocomputing wrote:

When comparing the two spring updates on .com and .ca, the changes in fog rates for store categories are not the same for computer categories. On .com it stayed the same at 4% but on .ca it rose to 4.15%.

A real change or another example of eBay.ca Canada incompetence in copying and modifying an announcement from .com.

This was an error in the eBay.ca Canada announcement. The rate stays the same at 4% on eBay.ca Canada like eBay.com USA.

This was asked by me in the News and Information seller Update topic and confirmed by eBay Canada as a typo.

Message 29 of 39
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

eBay will have an enormous cash injection that will make stockholders even happier. 

"Why?

It does a stockholder no good for the company to have more cash available, since eBay does not distribute its profits (or excess money) to shareholders as dividends.

The only way those shareholders make any money is by selling their stock." 

I actually wasn't thinking of dividends or payouts to shareholders (I'm aware eBay doesn't pay dividends).  

I was musing on the effect that an injection of cash of that magnitude would have on eBay's operating performance and/or ability to expand and diversify, which would probably have the effect of increasing share value.  Better performance, brighter future, more attractive shares at higher prices.  Then some of those early gamblers could cash out and go home supremely happy, or go gamble elsewhere (with other people's money) secured by their newly-fattened net worth. 

Message 30 of 39
latest reply

Message 31 of 39
latest reply

???????

Message 32 of 39
latest reply

mcrlmn
Community Member

Another of the many hands that keep reaching deeper into my pockets.

Just a hobby for me, so I won't be renewing my store subscription in April.

I'll put some money back in my pocket for a change, and get by on any freebies they may toss my way.

It was fun while it lasted.

Message 33 of 39
latest reply

@mcrlmn wrote:

Another of the many hands that keep reaching deeper into my pockets.

Just a hobby for me, so I won't be renewing my store subscription in April.

I'll put some money back in my pocket for a change, and get by on any freebies they may toss my way.

It was fun while it lasted.

That's sad to hear, but yes, I'm thinking of dropping my annual subscription this year and switching to monthly.  Even though it's a higher monthly charge, I'm beginning to feel as if I may need to pull the plug at any time, and I don't want to have to pay a big penalty to get out of an annual contract.  

Unfortunately this isn't just a hobby for me, so I can't rely only on freebies.  I have a feeling even those will be phased out at some point soon too.  

Message 34 of 39
latest reply

I went monthly the last time my Subscription came up for renewal so I am safe on paying penalties. Last month was the worst sales I have had for years including the summer months and usually the 20 % pays my store but not last month. I'm glad I will be shutting down for awhile and I'll be taking along look before I come back

Message 35 of 39
latest reply

Fortunately, my subscription ends on April 30.

So I have until March 30 to pull the plug and avoid a penalty.

Message 36 of 39
latest reply

Used to be net 5.6% in music instruments with store and TRS discount
Now it'll be 6.44
That 0.84 is a 15% increase in the eBay fee

Now add paypal
3.7 soon vs 2.9, or in my case, usually 3.3 vs 2.5

So, what used to be 8.1% combined (5.6 + 2.5)
now becomes 9.74% (6.44 + 3.3)

and that is a TWENTY PERCENT increase in the take for eBay and paypal

greedy greedy greedy

My last paypal e-mail on the rate change also indicted that I was exempt from the elimination of the tiered structure for fees.... I assume that means not getting the .4% discount for being over $3000 monthly for some folks.... and that that does apply to some this spring to? And probably will apply to me next year, as they just seem to delay some changes for legacy customers, but do end up applying them.... so I can look forward to more loss next year....

thankfully I am 5 minutes from the border and can use USPS

and can exist with no returns and 2 day handling and still maange to get the now cut in half trs discount (or I assume so anyway)

Message 37 of 39
latest reply

I asked on the update thread if we could close or downgrade stores without penalty so will see if they even reply!

You also forgot the increase on shipping costs if separate as well as having to pay for a listing tool once TL goes away

Message 38 of 39
latest reply

Boo, cut on TRS discount. It kinda sucks but I think I'm going to lose my TRS in a few months anyway because my sales have plummeted with lack of free listings promo lately. So I'd be losing the TRS discount anyway. I have a grand total of three sales in February with only the monthly free 50/50 listings. If they don't give us any new promos by April my 350 unsold listings are gonna expire, and I'm not paying insertion fees to keep them "alive". 

I do think it's a good idea for below standard sellers to pay 4% more FVF. At least that bit is sorta good news for me. 

Message 39 of 39
latest reply