When I put up an item for sale, why does it show a shipping cost?

When I put an item up for sale I always put shipping depends on destination. Why are some of my items showing a shipping cost?

It has lost me a couple of sales already because the buyer thinks shipping would be something like $10.00, when actually it 

is $50.00, for example. Any help or suggestions????

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Did you know you can set up your Shipping and Handling charges so that your buyer can see the cost of shipping to his doorstep without any further intervention?

Go to Shipping.

From the drop down menu choose Calculated Shipping

Go to Options

Choose Metric measurements from the drop down menu.

Choose the shipping service you want. You can choose more than one, but frankly, it just causes confusion.

Enter the dimensions of your parcel

Enter the weight of your parcel

Add a handling (packaging) charge if you want . Bubblewrap ain't free.

Now when a customer looks at your listing, the cost of shipping to his postal code/zipcode/country will show up (with the handling charge included). It is under the Shipping and Handling charge.

It has lost me a couple of sales already because the buyer thinks....

It's lost you more than that. Many buyers will not consider asking about shipping cost, they just move on.

One caveat: There are some tiny differences between the Canada Post and the USPS dimensions for some rates. It is useful to double check that the rates to the US are showing. All that needs to be done is to tweak the dimensions. This does not change the costs.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

It is important that you have correct shipping costs set up for the countries that you ship to. Otherwise, it is less likely that the items will be seen on other sites. Also, some buyers could not be bothered to ask for a shipping price...they want to know when they first look at a listing. There are always some buyers who will purchase an item that doesn't show a shipping cost and once they are invoiced, the shipping is more than they thought it would be so they get upset.

The shipping on the listings were obviously set up at one time as many locations do show a shipping price. Many of your international shipping locations show that you are using international parcel - surface which is a tracked service and is very expensive as well as slow. You would be better off to set up the shipping to show international small packet air or light packet air.

I don't see any prices for the U.S. in your listings. I suggest that you set U.S. shipping up with small packet air USA or light packet USA.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Hi, thank you very much for your help. I have changed the shipping info on some of my items already. But I can't change the 

shipping info on the international shipping on some of the items because the shipping options won't light up for me to click 

on them.  Can't figure out why some will work and some won't.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Under the International shipping heading there should be a drop down menu that gives you a choice of offering flat rate, calculated or no international shipping at all. Perhaps you still have yours set up for no international shipping?

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Thank you for your help. Some of the items didn't work, but I will try some tweaking like you said.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

I  got most of them to work, but still a few stubborn ones. I double checked drop down menu and I always make sure I have it on

depending on buyer location. I'll keep trying different things and hopefully find the problem.  Thanks again!!!!

Message 7 of 7
latest reply