‘eBay Could Punish Suspected Fakes in Search Results’

“An eBay patent describes a method to reduce counterfeits for sale on its website, and if implemented, it could impact search visibility. When a seller attempts to list a particular brand, the system would match authenticity criteria contained in eBay’s database to the product the seller is listing to see if it’s a match......”

https://www.ecommercebytes.com/2018/12/27/ebay-could-punish-suspected-fakes-in-search-results/
Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Hmmmmmm......

Will this be a technology that is a robust as the product catalog or the ISBN list that is often wrong about a books identity?

Of course, I refer not to more reputable sources but eBay specific, because we are special after all.

I understand the idea behind it, but doubt it will reduce interaction with customer service or lesson the load. Besides, scammers will simply take a photo of a real product like they always do in a fake listing.

There are better ways to catch listings like this. Price point is one, by calculating retail values and tagging listings that go below a certain value point based on age.

The other is to limit sellers who have not sold in the last xx days and put in extra verification.

I'm an oldie but I recall when you needed to have at least ten feedback to sell. Now you can sell anytime, door is wide open.
Message 2 of 5
latest reply

And unfortunately, if this were to get implemented and heaven forbid it was "glitchy" is there going to be an undo button to remove? Probably not!! False positives. The new reality!!!

-Lotz

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Gee.. what don't ebay spend some time in the exec office and figure how to reduce the FVFs.  this should stimulate more commerce both ways for seller and buyer.

All I have seen being done is creating these pointless seller view pages,  and the rate table (beta).  All of which I don't want  because it doesn't benefit me in anyway whatsoever.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

I think the concept is very interesting, has great merit and is to be commended, but I too worry about implementation. 

Message 5 of 5
latest reply