eBay Displays Handling Costs, to Seller's Dismay

6 REPLIES 6

Where is handling cost indicated  on anything we submit to eBay.

Could not find out ... Where?  

Turbolister?  or elsewhere?

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

@cumos55 wrote:

Where is handling cost indicated  on anything we submit to eBay.

Could not find out ... Where?  

Turbolister?  or elsewhere?

That's a good question, because as far as I know, we aren't ever asked to break down our shipping quotes.  

Is it possible they've changed the SYI form recently so that buyers can stipulate a handling fee??  I haven't looked at it that closely since I never charge for handling.  

What would be worse is if eBay is using some method based on the weight, service type, destination and dimensions entered into the Paypal label screen to calculate what the standard shipping charge should be, and then showing any excess above that amount as "handling".  Or perhaps they could simply pick up the shipping cost displayed by Paypal and compare it to the seller's posted shipping rate for that item. 

We know that with eBay, whatever happens on mobile is the "new normal" and will probably arrive on .ca at some point.  Be prepared. 

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

"That's a good question, because as far as I know, we aren't ever asked to break down our shipping quotes.  "

When you use calculated shipping you have the option to add a (hidden) handling charge to whatever Canada Post offers.

From eBay:

"To add a handling cost to your shipping costs, enter an amount in the Handling cost box. This amount isn't displayed to buyers."

For more information: http://pages.ebay.ca/help/pay/calculated-shipping.html

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Flat rate shipping does not have handling fee.

Calculated shipping has handling fee but I only see it in International shipping section, not in Domestic. I checked on eBay.ca and eBay.com to see if any difference.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

On the SYI form, if you choose Calculated shipping, there is a place to show Handling Cost.

As far as I know, this is the only way you can add a handling cost.

Makes sense, since if you are using Flat rate, you can already include an amount for handling, in whatever cost you choose;  

but Calculated shipping gives you just the Post office rate, so if there was no handling charge, you would be forced to charge exact shipping.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

You can add it in the domestic shipping area. There is an "change" button where you can add a handling charge.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply