Calculating shipping New to ebay dot ca

lalouve
Community Member

Hello,

I just moved to back to Montreal from the US (after being gone for 20 years). I have been selling on ebay for a few years. It's pretty easy to calculate the shipping cost from the US site when posting an item, when you have the weight and size of the package.

I'm trying to post items from ebay dot ca now, and I can't figure out the shipping costs. 

Customer service isn't very useful.

Do I calculate shipping costs from the Canada Post site, from ebay somehow, or from Shippo? 

I just put some random shipping costs now, because I want to get started, but I've been researching and reading posts for 3-4 hours now. So frustrating... I opened a Small Business account with CP, and I'm supposed to get a discount. Other than reading their document with prices lists and tables, is there an easy way to just plug in a size and weight and get an accurate shipping cost?

Thank you!

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

If you are listing on .ca you can chose to use calculated shipping on the sell your item form and then just enter weight, dimensions etc. You'll also have to enter the service and you might want to look at the different requirements and options for each service on the CP site.  If you are using lettermail you will need to use flat rate shipping as the calculator doesn't work for that.

A quick overview:

Within Canada

Expedited parcel is often less expensive than regular parcel and a day faster so most of us use that. It includes delivery confirmation.

If your package is less than 2cm thick and not too expensive you can send it within Canada by lettermail. No delivery confirmation of course but many sellers do use it for smaller less expensive items and don't have a problem but it depends on your risk tolerance.

To the US

small packet USA- no delivery confirmation but least expensive method

Tracked packet USA - delivery confirmation, for items under 1 kg

Both TP and small packet are based on weight and have one rate for each weight group within the US regardless of distance so using a flat rate is also doable

Expedited parcel USA - delivery confirmation; more expensive than TP in most cases.  Note that if the minimum dimensions for small packet are smaller than for domestic package so the calculator won't work for the US if your dimensions are less than 21cm x 14cm x .5xm

If you want to list on the US you'll have to figure out a rate based on the CP calculator on their site.  https://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/apps/far/business/findARate?execution=e1s7

If you set up your small business number on Shippo or Paypal you will get a small discount on some services. Be prepared for sticker shock though..shipping here can be expensive.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

If you are listing on .ca you can chose to use calculated shipping on the sell your item form and then just enter weight, dimensions etc. You'll also have to enter the service and you might want to look at the different requirements and options for each service on the CP site.  If you are using lettermail you will need to use flat rate shipping as the calculator doesn't work for that.

A quick overview:

Within Canada

Expedited parcel is often less expensive than regular parcel and a day faster so most of us use that. It includes delivery confirmation.

If your package is less than 2cm thick and not too expensive you can send it within Canada by lettermail. No delivery confirmation of course but many sellers do use it for smaller less expensive items and don't have a problem but it depends on your risk tolerance.

To the US

small packet USA- no delivery confirmation but least expensive method

Tracked packet USA - delivery confirmation, for items under 1 kg

Both TP and small packet are based on weight and have one rate for each weight group within the US regardless of distance so using a flat rate is also doable

Expedited parcel USA - delivery confirmation; more expensive than TP in most cases.  Note that if the minimum dimensions for small packet are smaller than for domestic package so the calculator won't work for the US if your dimensions are less than 21cm x 14cm x .5xm

If you want to list on the US you'll have to figure out a rate based on the CP calculator on their site.  https://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/apps/far/business/findARate?execution=e1s7

If you set up your small business number on Shippo or Paypal you will get a small discount on some services. Be prepared for sticker shock though..shipping here can be expensive.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

@pjcdn2005

If you set up your small business number on Shippo or Paypal you will get a small discount on some services.

The Small Business Solutions number gets you discounts on some services even at the PO counter.

You don't need to prove you are a "business".

Ask at your nearest PO for a number or apply online.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Yes I realize that but the discount at the counter is not necessarily the same as the online discount. 

At one time the discount was quite a bit different on PP and then Shippo but that has recently changed so now it is the same on all online sites includes CP's Snapship. 

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Don't forget to use metric.

Message 5 of 5
latest reply