buyer says ebay wont let him pay

title speaks for itself.

buyer is saying that ebay won't allow him to check out and actually purchase the item that was in an auction setup.  is this a legit excuse? have others had this happen? or is this person just trying to politely back out of a sale?

if this is a legit problem, is it on my end? perhaps a setting within paypal?  I am a Canadian, and the buyer is located in the usa.

item value is 450 US, so I wonder if there is maybe a setting on my end I need to change? or am I getting the run around?

any input is helpful.

Cheers,

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

What is the listing number?

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

There is no shipping price for the U.S. showing so you have to add that in first.  I am going to guess that you are using calculated shipping and that you have it set up to calculate expedited USA or Xpresspost USA.  If so.....the measurements that you put in for calculated shipping might not meet the minimum measurements for those services -- 21cm x 14cm x .5cm. The minimum measurements for those services in Canada are smaller..10 cm x 7cm x 1cm

I'm not sure if changing those measurements after the sale will help so it might be easier to get the buyer's zip code and then figure out the shipping price yourself and then enter the price as a flat shipping rate or send them an invoice through Paypal. Because the item is over $250 you should be using Xpresspost USA so that you can get an signature..otherwise you are not covered by Paypal protection if the buyer claims an item is not received. Since the buyer did not know the shipping price when they bid, they probably do not realize that the shipping costs will be fairly high so they might want to cancel.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't think the shipping by XpressPost for around $28.50 to 32.50 to USA it too high for that kind of item like iPad.  I would certainly use XpressPost and be sure to insure for the full value as well.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

That's fine if the buyer knows when they bid what the shipping cost will be but they probably did not realize that it would be that high, especially if they are used to buying items from within the U.S. They should have checked ahead of time but they didn't so they could be in for a big surprise.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Yes. I just had a US buyer say that the $20+ I charged to ship a $20 book was the most he ever had paid for shipping a book. I wish he had asked before buying.

He paid, and I showed him the link (the book weighed over a kilo) and now I am waiting nervously to see what happens to my DSRs. Oh well, maybe he will be mollified by receiving over $20 face value in pretty postage stamps on his parcel.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply