packages stuck in postal system

2 packages stuck in postal system how long before I can claim insurance. Do I have to return money to buyer before I receive the insurance.Getting afraid to sell anything

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Allow the Buyer to contact you for an Item not Received before you do anything.  Patience is the key, now with covid-19 & the Christmas rush hitting Canada Post at the same time. Canada Post is swamped & most likely have hired seasonal workers who have less experience, thus more mistakes in sorting & delivery. I have a parcel coming from EMS Japan which normally ships in 5 days, it's been now 3 weeks. The parcel showed Item Processed Mississauga Nov. 30, Out for Delivery Montreal, today. Actually it was Out for Delivery yesterday & it didn't get delivered.  Personally, I won't sell anything else until mid January.

Answers (8)

Answers (8)

If using Canada Post, and assuming Canada Post policy is same as has been for many years, Canada Post does not consider packages "lost" until 30 days after shipment date.

sorry to read about your packages. I do believe many E-Bay sellers are going thru the same. the short fall is when the buyer send a request for a refund make sure you update the tracking and show where it is a let the buyer know there are delays with the shipping company. once the time that is allotted from e-bay. you loose the package and you funds e-bay gives a full refund to the seller and then leaves you hanging on trying to get the package back. you need to send a invoice so keep his email so you can send a pay pal invoice hopefully he will pay you. there are a fare bit of honest buyers out there. it the ones that will screw you  that make you life terrible. do not waste your time trying to talk to e-bay regarding payment that is all on your own e-bay will not help the Sellers. we all know e-bay only cares about the buyers. I hope this helps 

Joe  

PS: Dont forget to appeal all your late defects, its not our fault as sellers.

https://www.ebay.ca/help/selling/selling/seller-levels-performance-standards/appeal-defect?id=4871

we all have packages stuck in the postal system. the only thing you can do  apply to the USPS for your shipping insurance plus your cost of shipping the product. If a customer puts a claim in regarding there package thru E-Bay you must pray they get the package in the waiting period from E Bay. Otherwise you are doomed e-bay always sides with the buyer. The worst thing ever is when E Bay passes the funds back to the buyer and then a few days later they receive the package you are on your own no help trying to get your funds back from E-Bay. you have to send notes back to the seller and if the decide not to pay. you can put in to E bay to report the buyer. the buyer will get a hand slap (Big Deal in E Bay eyes)  all in all you a screwed either way you look at. i have stopped my E Bay account just because of the issues stated closed until Jan so the Usps can get caught up.

marnotom!
Community Member

Glad to hear that there has been a report of movement with your shipment.

USPS ISCs (international sort centres) have become a backlogged mess since the world went sideways in mid-March.  I'm thinking that your items have gone to the ISC in Jamaica, NY, which was always a bit problematic even at the best of times as it deals with especially high volumes of parcels and packages.

I agree with the suggestion that unless the buyer has expressed their concerns strongly or has already made some sort of refund claim, there's no reason to get further involved at this point in time.

If the customer has filed a Not Received dispute, refund immediately.

Keep an eye on the tracking, and when it shows delivered, send an invoice through Paypal with a polite note asking for the return of the refund.

If the customer is complaining, but has not filed a Not Received dispute, tell him to file the Dispute.

This gives you another four or five days respite. Put the tracking number in the Dispute.

But refund before eBay does.

If the customer is not complaining, do nothing and do not contact him yourself.

You are responsible to your customer. Refund promptly.

Canada Post is responsible to you (their customer). File the insurance claim after refunding. This has nothing to do with the buyer.

the only thing you can do apply to the USPS for your shipping insurance plus your cost of shipping the product.

The sender can't apply to USPS since he purchased the shipping service from Canada Post. He has to file for a payout from Canada Post.

CPO transferred the shipment to USPS under the terms of the Universal Postal Union Treaty of 1874, and USPS is their sub-contractor (sorta) and is responsible to CPO not to the sender.

Some sellers who use forwarders are USPS customers, but not those who shipped at the neighbourhood postal outlet.

We have a bunch stuck Nov 30 Richmond, updating to Ontario Dec 10, but stuck again in second sorting center 4 days; at least its moving. International usa ones some moving some still stuck from Nov 30.  All you can do is apologize for the wait, be truthful, Christmas delays, sorting centers volumes, add a quoted message from canada post from the tracking page. Some might file not received cases, we haven't had any yet. Most people are understand its not the sellers fault or that there isnt anything the seller can do to speed up delivery.. Receiving a message is better than an open case, means they are good customers by  contacting you first. Give as much info as you can, sympathize with them. 'Unprecedented times'