Updating banking information

thelurker92604
Community Member
With the move away from PayPal my account is currently unusable. I am based in Canada but when I go to fill out my direct deposit information it says “US accounts only”… I’ve even made a US account with my Canadian bank but that does not work either.. any feedback would be helpful

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Are you registered on dotCA or on dotCOM?

Many long time sellers were selling before there was an eBay Canada and moving to Managed Payments was tricky-- although there are now reports of successful movement.

And are you on dotCA when you try to enroll?

You can't enroll on dotCOM unless you have a US Social Security Number.  (And btw, although the MP for Canada asks for your SIN you are not required to give it. I used my passport which is both a picture and a number. Others have used driver's license. )

There does seem to be further difficulty with Canadian accounts in US dollars, but sellers who do most of their sales from dotCOM say it is worth it to them to persist. BTW, even if you must switch to being registered in Canada, you can still list on any site - USA, UK, Germany, India, whatever.

@ricarmic  you have some experience with this don't you?

Have you tried an alternate method of identification?

The micro payments never worked for me, so I went with my passport. You can also use your drivers license. EBay asks for your SIN, but after enough backlash on that one they backed down. (You can provide it volutarily, but they changed the wording that demanded it.)

FWIW, when we finally got our Managed Payments straightened out, all the Held funds were promptly transferred to our various checking accounts.

We did not try to use Canadian checking accounts in US funds, although the way our sales go that would have been a slightly better deal. Maybe in a couple of years.

Yes, this has caused us grief as well. eBay keeps asking for our account info over and over and either nothing is deposited into our accounts or when it finally is deposited when we go back to add the micro-payments the option has expired and they ask us to input the bank info again. When we logged in this week they stated it is because we're a US registered account.... but we've been paying them Candian taxes and the micro-deposits do sometimes work, so the accusation doesn't add up.  They owe us $400!

Has eBay previously been charging you Canadian tax?