Your listing can now accept offers to attract more buyers

Does anybody know why this is happening?

It seemed to start about a month or so ago.  Every day I have to check to make sure things haven't changed on my listings.

More importantly, is there a way to stop eBay from CHANGING my listings?

If I want to accept offers, I WILL.

Next thing is "eBay has lowered your price on all your items so you WILL NOT make a profit".

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (12)

Answers (12)

It's annoying, and intrusive, but you are not required to accept any offers.

If the listing has been around for a long time, close it,and then relist using Sell Similar.

The BO option should then disappear, but check before you upload.

Bonus, your Sell Similar listing now looks like a brand new one.

marnotom!
Community Member
This thread from the .com discussion boards is about three and a half years old, but it might offer some clues:

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Archive-Selling/eBay-automatically-turning-on-best-offer/td-p/27803818
easoss
Community Member

I've had the opposite problem. On some of my listings I allow best offers only to find out I did get offers I would have accepted except I wasn't notified these offers were made so they expired.

This situation has cycled...

(1) Best offer added by eBay

(2) Best Offer removed by seller

and ... It cycles 1, 2, 1, 2, 1, 2....

Sellers have tried to make adjustments, but it is like a rollercoaster of frustration

This was on ebay.ca.

None of my listings are around 12 or 16 months old.  So they are just doing it to non-selling items.

I wouldn't mind a reminder of an item that hasn't sold in x many months, but I think this is bad practice to change anybody's listing.

I also wonder in the eBay board room that discusses these practices, does anybody not stand up and say 'I think you are going to **bleep** off some sellers by changing their listings'.

I just hope they read some of these threads and at least give the seller the option of NOT letting them update a listing.

Thanks for all the responses.  I must get back to making my fortune here Smiley Very Happy

Sellers will come to eBay with a new idea, and new inventory...Sales do well and then they slow down.

The first series of sales are the people finding the new inventory... then the new buyers  are not there....  It becomes a baseline of sales.... interested buyers only.

Then comes the 12 months, the 16 months.  eBay looks and says something must be done....

and that is why these new eBay  ideas are popping up

eBay wants sales..... and does not want to provide rental space for much longer than 16 months.

Someone with a store must constantly work the store... add new listings... revise  and even remove listings that just might not sell.... or might never sell.

All listings in my store are ended and relisted every June....  ended at about 8:00 AM  and then relisted  at 6:00 PM    and sometimes earlier........Never ... tooo old

Revise all listings....  Postal code....  remove postal code and add same postal code.

Yes i believe it is exclusive to ebay.com  at the moment.. A friend had mentioned that it just showed up on his listings,  he wondered why all of a sudden he was getting offers, when his items where all buy it nows.. Also ebay has a box to check if you would like them to automatically lower your price 5% every week until your items sells.. this is on the .com site as well.. And it has been going on for over a month now at least.

This offer has been showing up on some listings for some sellers on eBay.com

This may relate to the fact that the listing has been on eBay well over 16 months.  A listing older than 16 months is considered to be old by eBay.

--------------------------------

There is an option on Seller Hub to see which listings have a ....... Best Offer Option...

On the Seller Hub page click on Listings at the top of the page.

View everything under the ... Search  ... option for .. All listings.

Then click on the arrow beside ... Item Title ......heading ---  This will show the options available.

Best Offer is an option..  Click on Best Offer and then click on .....Search. 

and this is a list of listings with Best Offer as an option.

As far as I know there is no way to stop ebay from doing it and I'm not sure why they do it for some sellers but not others.  At one time I read that if you listed on the business listing form rather than on the simple listing form that they wouldn't add the best offer but I don't think that is still true.

Yes!!! What IS THIS????? I didn’t give eBay the AUTHORIZATION to change my listing. **bleep**. I set it as BUY IT NOW. NO OFFERES. Now I get an email “your liating is now accepting offers!” Well……. I did NOT APPROVE THAT!

How do I stop this from happening. This ISNT the first time!

I think that they tend to do this more with ‘newish’ sellers.  I’m not sure how to prevent it.   

Are you listing on eBay.ca or eBay.com? I’m trying to look but the site seems to be having a hiccup so I’m just getting the ‘page not responding’ message.

This ‘feature’ was announced in the spring, I think, on targeted listings that eBay feels are underperforming.

I understand your frustration; I dislike tampering with my listings as well. All that I can suggest is de-activating the Offer feature and/or politely declining offers that come in which are not to your liking.