Asian Buyer Had US Address But When Paid Was For Taiwan

This has happened to me a few times. A buyer from Asia has a US address listed but when they paid it said another address to Taiwan. I do not ship to that country as I don't know how safe it is. How can they have 2 addresses?  I was going to cancel the order & refund them & then block the buyer. Any thoughts.

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Just for curiosity, do you have all countries but Canada and the US actually blocked under preferences, as I don't see any you don't ship to or excluded?

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

I don't have all countries blocked. Not sure how to do that in bulk on over 1000 items. Anyways how can they have 2 addresses? When my item sold it showed they were from Taiwan but had a US shipping address which is fine. But when they paid it showed a Taiwan address.

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

But they have a US address?

That's the one you will be shipping to, if he only paid for US delivery.

It's not uncommon, especially if the buyer is a 'snowbird', and has homes in two countries. Or he may use a freight forwarding company to send on his North American purchases, from sellers who do not ship outside of the USA.

Also it avoids the GSP (spit spit spit).

Your responsibility for delivery ends at the doorstep of the US address.

Look up the address on Google Maps. You will be able to see if it's his Auntie Bingbing or a company.

For the blocking, one day at a time.

Take some minutes each day to look at the listings that are about to end, or which have just ended/re-listed,and fix those. If you do 25 a day you will correct all of them in 40 days or so. And you may find a few other errors you can correct or tweak.

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

The US address disappeared & there is only a new one for Taiwan on his payment from PayPal. I just cancelled the order & refunded him. Sent an e-mail saying I do not ship to Taiwan but would have shipped to the US address had he paid with that.

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

Did you send an invoice when you saw the US address? 

Otherwise, they should not have been able to pay with their Taiwan address because there was no shipping cost listed. But when you send an invoice that would override that and they could put in any address.  If you didn't send an invoice, I'm not sure why they could pay.  They are automatically sent an invoice by eBay, it's not a good idea to send them one as well.

It does look like you already block buyers with a primary shipping address in countries that you don't ship to but this buyer was obviously shopping with a US address.  Buyers can have as many addresses as they want.

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

I did send them an invoice with the US address listed because they did not pay me for 3 days. I did not know they are able to change the address on the invoice.

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

To block countries:

Go to account

Go to site preferences

Go to shipping preference and click on show on the right side

Go to Exclude shipping locations from your listings and click on Edit

Check mark all continents. Once you click on North America, show all countries and uncheck the US

Scroll down a little and you will see:  Apply to all current live listings,

Put a check mark in the box and hit the apply button below that.

If you list on .ca, that will block all countries other than Canada and the US

If you list on .com, you would have to uncheck Canada for the same result.

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

Most people don't know that. They can only change the address if you send an invoice before they pay.

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

There shouldn't be a need to block specific countries since the seller has already used the block I just described. Normally a buyer in Taiwan wouldn't be able see that seller's items but because they were using a US address to search they were able to buy the item. They would never have been able to pay with a Taiwan address if the seller hadn't sent an invoice.  Even if the seller specifically blocks as you suggest, I believe the same situation would have happened if they sent an invoice.

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

Good to know. But what do you do if they haven't paid for a few days? Just send them an e-mail instead of invoice?

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

Yes, you could just message them. Sometimes I'll do that on the 3rd day and then open the uic on the 4th or 5th day.  I just let them know nicely that if they don't pay by x date I will have to contact ebay so that I can relist the item.

But if the buyer is registered in the US and the invoice shows a US address it is unlikely that sending an invoice is going to cause a problem.  It's possible...but unlikely.

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

@dustmite007 wrote:

... A buyer from Asia has a US address listed but when they paid it said another address to Taiwan. I do not ship to that country as I don't know how safe it is.

Taiwan is fairly safe... but it has a whole whack of import regulations and restrictions,,,

https://www.canadapost.ca/common/tools/pg/manual/PGIntDestDetails-e.asp?table=tblCountry&txtLetter=T...

And, of course, the buyer should be paying the cost to ship there. The fact that they are dodging around this makes them suspicious in my book.

-..-

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

But what do you do if they haven't paid for a few days?

Unpaid Item Dispute.

You don't want the sale.

I'd forgotten you sell jewelry.

Some sales are not worth having.

Message 14 of 14
latest reply