Ebay Security

Hi,

I am very disappointed with ebay's cyber security.  Was on news yesterday and only today was I told to change my

password by ebay. Oh gee only our personnel information was compromised not financial, what a relief. The basis

for all indentity theft is your personnel info. This is unacceptable behavior.

Just saying sorry doesn't cut it. How about spending some serious coin out of your massive profits to keep your customers

SAFE.

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Ebay Security

You're lucky in that you only had to change your password on ebay.  My whole computer was compromised as I posted and all my passwords, IDs, (and I have a lot!). were gone into cyberspace.  A day later I'm still working on everything.

Yes, I was upset about it, but you know I can't  blame ebay - you must know "good" hackers are very unfortunately getting better and better at it all the time.  Some organizations, including the FBI are hiring young "good" hackers!

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Ebay Security

I'm not even close to being a computer expert and know little or nothing about hacking but I don't see a correlation between what happened to you and ebay's database being hacked. Those hackers wanted personal information....I don't see how it would be useful to them to delete your passwords. If they have your ebay password they might have used it or if they were able to access your computer they might use your other passwords but why delete them?

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Ebay Security

I'm no tech either, but I know one thing, it wasn't the hackers that deleted my passwords, etc. - my computer was one of those unfortunate ones which was vulnerable, something happened to my cookies when they got into ebay.  I've been looking at this screen for so long working on stuff now I FEEL like a cookie and I don't have any in the house!  I think I'll shut the stupid thing down for the dayWoman Frustrated

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Ebay Security

The hack was in late February - it was reported in the news here that ebay has been "investigating" for the last couple of months.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Ebay Security

Yes, I was aware of that and I agree that didn't sound too great!.....but I don't think that's the whole story.  I'm certainly NOT trying to defend ebay of course on this one, but, I'm going to give them the benefit of doubt.  I just feel that however people rant all the time about ebay's practices, I do feel that ebay, if they did know that long ago, would have tried to do something then - they wouldn't intentionally risk their millions of users.  Maybe I'm naive.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Ebay Security

"We recently notified customers that they should change their password."

Um... really?  I never got a notification.  I heard about it on Facebook.  The above statement was NOT there when I logged in to change my password a couple of days ago.  Tonight (late May 24) is the first thing I've seen on eBay's site.  Seems to me they could've sent an e-mail?  Or something in the message system?  Which I never got... how did others find out, if not through the news?

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Ebay Security

I first heard about it on the news but as soon as I logged on here in huge letters it told me to change the password.  Strange yours didn't have that?

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Ebay Security

tyler@ebay
Community Member

Hey everyone,

Due to the length of time that has passed since this thread began I have locked it from future replies. If this is still an issue that warrants discussion, don't hesitate to begin a new thread!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 9 of 9
latest reply