How can dealers sell a coin for $7.00 and charge 30 or 40 dollars shipping

How can dealers sell a coin for a few bucks and charge 30 or 40 dollars shipping am I missing something. I need modern USA coins but I just pass them over they must be losing sales. I know it is shipping and handling but this is getting ridiculous. I can ship 200 grams to Europe for $7.60  Canadian.   I think Ebay should look into this everyone says it is to cover Ebay fees  They are not that high.

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Email the seller and ask them.  Could be an Ebay self inflicted thing and the seller can not see it.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

The seller is doubtless sending the item Priority, although even that shouldn't cost $30+ for a coin.  Moreover, these days First Class seems to be tracked.  Or at least First Class packages are coming tracked to my house most of the time.  I recently paid $6 for a tiny padded envelope tracked online right to my door from Florida.  It was a heavy brooch weighing a lot more than a little coin.

Have you asked the sellers if they would be willing to send First Class to you?  

For your information, today, however, the following link will tell you about things sellers are allowed (and not allowed) to charge for in their $hipping:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/selling-practices.html

Scroll down to where it says Shipping and handling costs, click it, - and note that ebay/pp fees are not permitted.  Sellers do, after all, get a discount when they print the shipping labels through paypal to cover the postage-related fees.

"Things like gas, mileage, time spent at a carrier, employee wages, or eBay and PayPal fees shouldn't be added", or so says ebay.

This is the American link, the Canadian one is basically the same.  Europe and elsewhere the rules vary so never assume that .ca/.com rules apply everywhere. 

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Coin dealers are very wary of their customers. There is a lot of fraud in the hobby (on both sides) and not a lot of trust.

US sellers are used to being able to add Delivery Confirmation to their shipments for less than a quarter.

This makes trust a lot easier.

To get USPS Delivery Confirmation to Canada costs the seller $20 to $25. The new Global Shipping Program adds to the actual shipping cost, a fee to pay PitneyBowes to run the program, and a delay while the seller sends the shipment to the PB central processing plant. Then you can expect to pay sales tax and possible duty on the item, if you paid over $20 for the item alone. And this will be added to your invoice and the seller will not ship until it is paid.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

<<To get USPS Delivery Confirmation to Canada costs the seller $20 to $25.>>

That used to be the way it was when the only tracked/delivery confirmed option, apart from a courier, was Priority.

In the last few months, however, Canada Post has begun scanning and tracking First Class parcels.  There is no

tracking/delivery confirmation number where one excludes the other, - no 'secret' delivery confirmation number

which goes untracked.

Often, however, sellers do not provide the tracking number.

An item which is tracked is necessarily delivery confirmed, as it registeres as 'delivered' when the number is

entered at the Canada Post website:

http://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/apps/track/personal/findByTrackNumber?execution=e1s1

Global $hipping provides delivery confirmation to the great relief of American sellers but at a far higher cost

to buyers than First Class.  This renders the GSP, in view of Canada Post's now scanning First Class parcels, to be

a costy redundancy.  Any item which could possibly ride for First Class is best purchased from a seller willing

to ship it that way, pragmatically speaking.

Small items weighing as little as an ounce are now tracked and delivery confirmed with First Class shipping.

Even items over 4 lbs or $400 in value - those which require Priority - may be best sent through the post.

Priority items may or may not be assessed at Customs, whereas GSP items certainly are. 

More importantly, there does not yet seem to be a swift and acceptable way of refunding original shipping fees on

returned items sent via GSP.

For an extra few dollars having a qualifying item shipped Priority provides the buyer with a bit of "self insurance",

in the event that there is a problem and a refund becomes inevitable, - a level of protection which currently seems

unavailable to buyers via the GSP, at least not without a fight.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

A lot of US sellers are shipping things by USPS Express now.  $30-$40 sounds about right for that.

It's not a smart way to do business, but it's there.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. Carl Sagan
Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Thanks dmil- I wonder if you can tell me, do these USPS First Class packages have a bar code on them? As a rule of thumb, I assumed that if there is a bar code the package is trackable, to some extent.

No bar code, no tracking.

I live in hopes that some day, someone at Canada Post will figure out the actual cost for instituting bar coding packages and envelopes, and give us a reasonably priced tracking or Delivery Confirmation service.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

Thanks dmil- I wonder if you can tell me, do these USPS First Class packages have a bar code on them?  

I am not dmil, but I can answer your question: yes, there is a bar code. Here's a shipment I recently received by First Class Mail International LZ350015301US  You can see the results on Canada Post's website. 😉

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Small items weighing as little as an ounce are now tracked and delivery confirmed with First Class shipping

Just to clarify...If the seller sends the item as first class international package, there is tracking.

If the item is sent first class international package, there is no bar code and no tracking.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply