CP Strike

My Canada Post guy today says that his contacts in Toronto are confirming a 99% chance of a strike on this Thursday. So many parcels shipped by CP over the last few days may be held in limbo for however long the strike lasts.

How many of you are putting your stores on vacation mode until we find out on Thursday?

AXE

Message 1 of 123
latest reply
122 REPLIES 122

Re: CP Strike

I hope that it doesn't last until September.  Last time this happened 14 years ago, the Government forced them back to work after 2 weeks.  Hopefully it will be less than two weeks this time.  It's an essential service, hopefully the government gets to work on the "back to work" legislation as soon as the strike starts.

Message 61 of 123
latest reply

So if it's rotating strike, does that mean business as usual for the rest of the country? If yes, would any of you consider opening up your store again?

Cindy
Message 62 of 123
latest reply

You can't be sure what city will strike next, so I wouldn't want to be shipping anything.

Message 63 of 123
latest reply

"would any of you consider opening up your store again?"

I will not re-open my eBay store on the basis of rotating strike by CUPW.  Historically, rotating strikes lead to a lockout.

Having a 24 hour strike in Winnipeg is a clever PR trick by the union, showing they do not want to close the system and forcing management to close it and take the blame.

Message 64 of 123
latest reply

under no circumstances will any claims be honored for non-delivery or late arriving packages sent by any level of CP service prior to or during the CP Strike.

I would be foolish to admit that a package was mailed during the strike 🙂

The $100 insurance is such a joke that CP even pays us all claims for light packets and has been doing so for years.

OF COURSE we would just package, label and drop off after the strike. Having said that, 1 week is the cutoff and we stop shipping this way if a strike continues.

With a rotating strike we will simply continue business as usual.

Bernie

Message 65 of 123
latest reply

eBay's Announcement yesterday leads us to believe that we should re-open and go day by day and see what happens with this strike, and email buyers with the strike info and give them the option to cancel their order or be patient and keep it. All buyers that we emailed over the last few days regarding the strike have been very understanding and have all opted to keep their orders. Why not continue doing so? 

From eBay, June 2, 2011-

If this labour disruption occurs, we will take the following measures to minimize the impact it will have on our community members:

- Targeted messaging will be implemented in purchase flows to alert buyers of potential shipping delays for both Canada Post shipments, as well as international postal service shipments into Canada that rely on Canada Post.

- Targeted messaging will also be implemented in feedback flows to remind buyers that shipping delays due to postal service disruptions are not within any seller’s control.

- We will also work closely with eBay’s Seller Standards team to ensure that Canadian sellers do not lose status due to postal disruption-related issues.

Message 66 of 123
latest reply

Business is open and selling as usual here until we hear anything different.

Next city to strike in the rotation is Hamilton, ON.

Cheers,

AXE

Message 67 of 123
latest reply

I have decided to reopen my store and take it day by day.

Cindy
Message 68 of 123
latest reply

I also have reopened. I can't afford to keep it on vacation and still pay fees and not make money. Almost immediately after reopening I got a sale to Finland. I will mail that tonight so hopefully it will leave the country before my area is affected. I let the buyer know the situation, so anyway...business as usual for the time being. If the strike does go all-out, then I will either close again or drive to the States. I am also going to England on June 28th so can also take packages with me and mail there if I have to.

Hope this gets settled soon though, as this is making my hair turn grey!!!

Message 69 of 123
latest reply

bighillbargains1
Community Member

We wont be able to print shipping labels as the Canada Post Website is down. I assume paypal shipping is not working either. Has anyone tried it today?

Message 70 of 123
latest reply

I was just on the site, and everything appears normal. They have a banner with updates at the top. The current one reads:

Strike Activity in Winnipeg Today

2011/06/03

With the exception of picketing activity at the Winnipeg Mail Processing Plant and Winnipeg Hub (266 Graham Avenue), Canada Post’s network is operating normally as of 6:30 a.m. EDT. Some mail delivery may be affected in the Winnipeg area.

Message 71 of 123
latest reply

bighillbargains1
Community Member

Yep, CP Website is back up and running again. Also paypal shipping is working just fine.

Message 72 of 123
latest reply

Rumor here, not sure if its true- rumblings here say that BC is next after Hamilton, for 96 hour strike. Anyone confirm or heard of a different location?

Message 73 of 123
latest reply

bighillbargains1
Community Member

Next is Montreal for a 24 hour strike starting tonight at 11:30 according to CUPW.

Message 74 of 123
latest reply

Montreal is next, if you watch www cupw ca with the dots in the right places you'll see the announcements there....

Message 75 of 123
latest reply

Ok, great, thanks for the info!

Cheers,

AXE

Message 76 of 123
latest reply

Montreal is a hub for Europe , coming and going.

Here in Ottawa-Gatineau, Montreal is the hub for US export.

Message 77 of 123
latest reply

Interesting article regarding the strike.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/2011/06/06/postal-strike.html

Gehres

Message 78 of 123
latest reply

So my source was right- Victoria B.C. is next, along with Moncton NB.

AXE

Message 79 of 123
latest reply

Calgary and Edmonton go out tonight.

Message 80 of 123
latest reply