Canada Post Fuel Surcharge Going Way Up

llee2
Community Member
I don't know what everybody thinks of CP's fuel surcharge, but it used to be just a minor irritation. It's hovered around 2.0-2.5% over the last little while. As of Monday, June 7 it apparently is jumping from 2.5% to 4.75%. Fuel prices are ridiculously high, but to nearly double the surcharge is not reflective of this price increase in crude. Next thing you know, we're going to have to start paying a "postal worker child care" surcharge. I would think that fuel is accounted for in the postage costs? And this fuel surcharge was around before the last postal rate increase, which was a huge one too. Seems to me that CP is just double dipping into our pockets.

Lincoln
Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

shoplineca
Community Member
They implemented fuel surcharges when the price of fuel started dropping last year. When I started using CP in Feb 2003 there was no fuel tax, then as gas prices decreased, they introduced the fuel surcharge.

Fuel surcharges are nothing more than another tax that they dont have to get approval from the Federal Government for (as they would if they wanted to increase the price of stamps).

I dont believe that they should be able to charge the surcharge because it is not controlled by the government when the price of stamps is controlled due to CP being a monoploly.

Malcolm
Message 2 of 4
latest reply

shooger
Community Member
That's disturbing news! I feel sad now.
Message 3 of 4
latest reply

www-labels4less-com
Community Member
Most trucking companies and couriers have been charging a 7% tax for over a year now.
Message 4 of 4
latest reply