Canada Post Strike Update July

Canada Post extremely disappointed with CUPW’s response to its offers

Dear Canada Post customer,

I am writing to update you on our negotiations and advise you that there can be no legal work disruption before the expiry of a 72-hour notice, and one has yet to be filed.

On Saturday, June 25, 2016, we tabled offers in our separate negotiations with the Canadian Union of Postal Workers (CUPW-Urban and CUPW-RSMC), which represent our delivery agents and plant employees. Our offers were designed to help bring a quick resolution to the negotiations and end the uncertainty that is negatively impacting our customers and our employees. Our offers included modest and manageable wage increases for all employees and no changes to the pension for all employees in the plan.

As you can read in our public statement, we are extremely disappointed with the response from CUPW. Late Friday evening, CUPW tabled offers that would add at least $1 billion in new costs over the term of a new collective agreement while rejecting the Corporation’s approach to address the long-term issues with the employee pension plan.

Rather than saddle customers with more than $1 billion in new costs, Canada Post continues to remain at the table to negotiate an agreement that is reasonable and affordable. In the event of a full disruption, Canada Post will not operate, deliver or accept new items. We will keep you updated on our progress.

Thank you for your business and your continued patience.

Sincerely,
Serge Pitre
Vice-president, Sales
Canada Post Corporation
Message 1 of 317
latest reply
316 REPLIES 316

Re: Canada Post Strike Update July

I wore your shoes for over 10 years... My mother lived to age 94.... and required a lot of help  and many adjustments in how she lived over the years....

and I was her Power of Attorney!

Message 221 of 317
latest reply

I don't think you have a clear understanding of my situation, and that's fine. I'm not prepared to expend any more effort in this debate.

Helping your aged mother out is admirable but not the same thing as being the aged or disabled or marginalized person yourself.

I find your comments and thoughts on other subjects to be valid and valuable but in this respect we will have to agree to disagree.

Happy rainy day to you, fellow Winnipegger. Enjoy the respite from the heat. 

Message 222 of 317
latest reply

@cumos55 wrote:

The challenge of community mailboxes can be met.....

Yes, I think it can as well, if some creative thinking were applied by CPC and/or the government.  

To-the-door delivery to every urban and suburban home is going to become more and more a fiscal and practical impossibility, as cities grow and sprawl and the time required to visit each door that has mail increases.  With the rise in online shopping and parcel delivery, the cost of fuel to run those little trucks, particularly in suburban areas, and the time and money required to service those vehicles must be an issue too. 

I think it's inevitable that personal mail service to the door will eventually end up going the way of milk deliveries to the door.  I really can't see the cost to pay an army of people a decent wage to walk all over cities lugging or dragging heavy bags, or to run trucks to every driveway continuing much longer.  As much as they are an inconvenience for many customers, community mailboxes continue to ensure that we at least have service within a few blocks of home.  There once was a time where the only place you could get your mail was at the post office itself (wherever that might be, often miles away). 

However, I do think there should be a way that CPC could continue to provide at-door service to certain identified customers with disabilities, or to those over a certain age, i.e. a sort of "hybrid" delivery system, where the able-bodied are still expected to go a block or two to get their mail.  This would be much the same idea as designated parking spots for people with disabilities.  Logistics might be a challenge, but better than forcing everybody, regardless of ability, to use community boxes. 

The Liberal government has vowed to roll back the community mailbox changes made by the previous government, but that may be at an excessive cost to CPC through the next decades.  Overall, I would rather see savings going to meet the needs of CPC employees and to upgrading facilities so that we can at least hope we'll have some sort of pan-Canadian public postal system into the future.  

We should remember that if CPC were to go under, the realistic, practicable alternatives for a country so vast with such a small population might not be very pleasant at all.  Many Canadians might be left with no local (or at least reasonably close) mail service whatsoever.  I don't believe we can continue to expect personal service at our doors indefinitely, as if we were still living in the 1960's.  It was great thing while it lasted, but it just costs too much.  

Everywhere else, in almost every sector, it's becoming a self-service world.  Sadly that's the reality, and sooner or later I think there's little doubt that we'll have to adjust to it where mail delivery is concerned too.  

Message 223 of 317
latest reply

Incidentally, I agree with 'Mr. Elmwood' that 5-days-per-week mail delivery is probably unnecessary these days, although I'm not sure once a month would be workable. 

Maybe CPC could figure out a way to separate mail (i.e. lettermail) and parcel delivery systems so that lettermail was delivered twice a week and parcels daily.  

I honestly can't recall the last time I got a piece of important lettermail (I pay all my bills and receive payments online).  Once the last of the pre-WWII generation has passed on -- those people who still insist on a cheque in their hands to physically take to the bank -- there will be very little in the way of "essential" lettermail going through the system anymore. 

Message 224 of 317
latest reply

@rose-dee wrote:

....there will be very little in the way of "essential" lettermail going through the system anymore. 

Except for those ebay sellers and small- to medium-sized businesses that use domestic lettermail and/or oversize lettermail instead of parcel service to send their orders. 

Message 225 of 317
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:

@rose-dee wrote:

....there will be very little in the way of "essential" lettermail going through the system anymore. 

Except for those ebay sellers and small- to medium-sized businesses that use domestic lettermail and/or oversize lettermail instead of parcel service to send their orders. 

Would those items be considered essential mail?  I'm not so sure.  

Nonetheless I think it would be easy enough to work out a solution.   I can't see the problem in CPC providing labeling for small businesses to use in order to have such items designated as commercial "parcels" within Canada.  Even a simple sticker would probably do.  Items going out of the country should, strictly speaking, not be using lettermail service in any case. 

Message 226 of 317
latest reply

The USPS  is moving quickly to the equivalent of Community Mailboxes....  They cannot support the cost of mail delivery to each house/residence... Both CPC and USPS are working to address the same situation with a lower volume of mail delivery as lettermail

Trudeau's view of Community Mailboxes will change....He spoke too early ... and will have to adjust his thinking.

Trudeau will get out voted by the dollar cost of door to door service...

Remember Area where there is new development in a city only has community mailboxes..... They have never received door to door mail delivery.

There was an uproar when this happened... but.... People adjusted.

Message 227 of 317
latest reply

Do you know how many rural people never get parcels delivered at all as they have Post Office boxes and have to get their mail all the time.

It is no big deal, personally that is safer than dumping a parcel somewhere on the premises

Message 228 of 317
latest reply

It is a big deal. Many people choose to live in cities because of the services that exist, and for that they pay a premium.
Message 229 of 317
latest reply

@cumos55 wrote:

Trudeau will get out voted by the dollar cost of door to door service...

The next election will not get decided by community mailboxes.

Message 230 of 317
latest reply

CPC is under review.....

That review will most definitely have community mailboxes on its agenda...

and... that is where Trudeau will  be out voted by the dollar cost of door to door service

Community mail boxes are here to stay... everywhere in Canada

Message 231 of 317
latest reply

You pay no premium for the postal service. You pay exactly what everyone else pays for postage and letters.

Message 232 of 317
latest reply

More On Health and Safety
Share This

Saturday July 23 2016
2015-2019/154
No 052

Yesterday we shared some information about the injury rates at Canada Post which shows that there is a serious problem with health and safety. Many of our demands seek to improve the health and safety for postal workers. Nothing is more important than ensuring that each and every one of us works in a safe environment. What has Canada Post done at the bargaining table to improve health and safety for postal workers?

Our Health and Safety Demands

#32 – Establish a Social Steward Network. Why is CPC fighting against this demand? We have provided evidence that social stewards are effective and help prevent tragic situations. CPC should be supporting this demand.

#38 – Conduct ergonomic studies on new equipment and work methods. This is another demand that makes perfect sense. Why would any employer not want to ensure that new equipment and work methods are safe before implementation?

#41 – Improve protections under our right to refuse. We need to know that, when we use our right to refuse unsafe work, a thorough and unbiased investigation is done before a determination is made on whether or not the work is safe.

#43 – One-bundle delivery for letter carriers. We have mentioned this issue in several recent bulletins and have been fighting with CPC over this health and safety issue for years. Still CPC does not want to allow letter carriers to combine sequenced and manual mail at the sortation case so that they can deliver using a one-bundle method.

#’s 49, 51 and 69 – Limits on overtime. Canada Post continues to push back on our demand to limit overtime. Why does CPC want to force us to work more than 10 hours in one day?

#75 – CPC to provide appropriate corporate vehicles to all RSMCs. Not having the appropriate vehicle type for the roads and weather conditions that RSMCs must deal with on a regular basis is a major health and safety concern.

The majority of these health and safety demands impact both the RSMC and the Urban bargaining units and need to be addressed.

At this point in the negotiations, CPC has not agreed to any of these important health and safety demands while at the same time, they continue to push their agenda to reduce our health and safety training.

CPC has agreed to one health and safety concern for RSMCs. We have signed language that limits the amount that an RSMC can lift, to 50 pounds. It is time for Canada Post to do more and truly recognize the importance of health and safety.

We Deserve a Safe Work Environment

Sylvain Lapointe
Chief Negotiator, Urban Unit

George Floresco
Chief Negotiator, RSMC Unit

Message 233 of 317
latest reply

More On Health and Safety
Share This

Saturday July 23 2016
2015-2019/154
No 052

Yesterday we shared some information about the injury rates at Canada Post which shows that there is a serious problem with health and safety. Many of our demands seek to improve the health and safety for postal workers. Nothing is more important than ensuring that each and every one of us works in a safe environment. What has Canada Post done at the bargaining table to improve health and safety for postal workers?

Our Health and Safety Demands

#32 – Establish a Social Steward Network. Why is CPC fighting against this demand? We have provided evidence that social stewards are effective and help prevent tragic situations. CPC should be supporting this demand.

#38 – Conduct ergonomic studies on new equipment and work methods. This is another demand that makes perfect sense. Why would any employer not want to ensure that new equipment and work methods are safe before implementation?

#41 – Improve protections under our right to refuse. We need to know that, when we use our right to refuse unsafe work, a thorough and unbiased investigation is done before a determination is made on whether or not the work is safe.

#43 – One-bundle delivery for letter carriers. We have mentioned this issue in several recent bulletins and have been fighting with CPC over this health and safety issue for years. Still CPC does not want to allow letter carriers to combine sequenced and manual mail at the sortation case so that they can deliver using a one-bundle method.

#’s 49, 51 and 69 – Limits on overtime. Canada Post continues to push back on our demand to limit overtime. Why does CPC want to force us to work more than 10 hours in one day?

#75 – CPC to provide appropriate corporate vehicles to all RSMCs. Not having the appropriate vehicle type for the roads and weather conditions that RSMCs must deal with on a regular basis is a major health and safety concern.

The majority of these health and safety demands impact both the RSMC and the Urban bargaining units and need to be addressed.

At this point in the negotiations, CPC has not agreed to any of these important health and safety demands while at the same time, they continue to push their agenda to reduce our health and safety training.

CPC has agreed to one health and safety concern for RSMCs. We have signed language that limits the amount that an RSMC can lift, to 50 pounds. It is time for Canada Post to do more and truly recognize the importance of health and safety.

We Deserve a Safe Work Environment

Sylvain Lapointe
Chief Negotiator, Urban Unit
George Floresco
Chief Negotiator, RSMC Unit
Message 234 of 317
latest reply

I'm sure we would all like to have company vehicles for our jobs!

And I have known some rural mail delivery people and they said they made good wages for the work they did contrary to the garbage the union keeps spewing with every posting.

Message 235 of 317
latest reply

Maybe Ebay should give all sellers company vehicles to take all the parcels to be mailed to the post office or courier depot!!!!!

Message 236 of 317
latest reply

Dutchman, you pay higher property taxes to live in an urban environment which a higher level of service. The cost of living is totally different.
Message 237 of 317
latest reply

@rose-dee wrote:

Maybe CPC could figure out a way to separate mail (i.e. lettermail) and parcel delivery systems so that lettermail was delivered twice a week and parcels daily.  

My understanding is that they already are separate.  The person who delivers letters to my door is not the same person who delivers parcels to my door.

Keep in mind that a letter can be reasonably large, so what you may be seeing delivered by a letter carrier as a package may, in fact, technically be an oversized letter.

Message 238 of 317
latest reply

But none of that is for Canada Post. I live in a tiny hamlet, have gas water, power, sewer, high speed cable, just like a major center where I used to live. My taxes are 1/3 what they used to be and have given nothing up.

They just paved our roads, redid all the water, gas, and sewer lines, but I have to use a PO Box.

Big deal. You do not pay more for the postal service period.

Message 239 of 317
latest reply

People make choices about where to live based on the services available for the value.

Don't underestimate how important to-the-door-delivery is for people who are marginalized. 

Message 240 of 317
latest reply