Canada Post Strike Update July

Canada Post extremely disappointed with CUPW’s response to its offers

Dear Canada Post customer,

I am writing to update you on our negotiations and advise you that there can be no legal work disruption before the expiry of a 72-hour notice, and one has yet to be filed.

On Saturday, June 25, 2016, we tabled offers in our separate negotiations with the Canadian Union of Postal Workers (CUPW-Urban and CUPW-RSMC), which represent our delivery agents and plant employees. Our offers were designed to help bring a quick resolution to the negotiations and end the uncertainty that is negatively impacting our customers and our employees. Our offers included modest and manageable wage increases for all employees and no changes to the pension for all employees in the plan.

As you can read in our public statement, we are extremely disappointed with the response from CUPW. Late Friday evening, CUPW tabled offers that would add at least $1 billion in new costs over the term of a new collective agreement while rejecting the Corporation’s approach to address the long-term issues with the employee pension plan.

Rather than saddle customers with more than $1 billion in new costs, Canada Post continues to remain at the table to negotiate an agreement that is reasonable and affordable. In the event of a full disruption, Canada Post will not operate, deliver or accept new items. We will keep you updated on our progress.

Thank you for your business and your continued patience.

Sincerely,
Serge Pitre
Vice-president, Sales
Canada Post Corporation
Message 1 of 317
latest reply
316 REPLIES 316

Re: Canada Post Strike Update July

Many employers in Canada have changed their pension funds from defined benefits to defined contributions.

Some have hybrid plans covering employees hired prior to a specific date.

A great example is McGill University in Montreal:

https://www.mcgill.ca/hr/bp/pensions/plan-changes/hybrid-plan

" If the union makes a concession along these lines, it sets a precedent for future bargaining."

That is correct.  Many unions have faced that problem in the last ten/fifteen years.  There is no easy solution.  At the end of the day an employer has so many million of dollars to cover employees salaries, benefits and pensions. 

With the escalating costs of defined benefit pension plans, unions often face a difficult choice: get the money for their members now through higher salaries/benefits and give up on pension for future employees or or or

There is just so much money to go around and someone will have to make a decision where it goes. The auto industry has gone through that change a few years ago.

Message 261 of 317
latest reply

I don't disagree with your definition, but that does not mean they are housebound.

People of limited mobility are not all housebound either. I have known quadriplegics that were mobile and other disabled people that weren't mobile.

Some of those that weren't, chose not to be and some had no choice.

Making sweeping statements is not the issue here but does not fit with everybody.

Most people that have severe mobility problems do have to rely on others for many things, but I don't believe it is a legitimate reason for CP to continue door to door delivery for all individuals. Many have family or friends they can and do rely on. Mail does not have to be picked up every day by all people, disabled, marginalized or able bodied.

Have they not already said they would make exceptions?

Message 262 of 317
latest reply

@dutchman48 wrote:

I don't disagree with your definition, but that does not mean they are housebound.

People of limited mobility are not all housebound either. I have known quadriplegics that were mobile and other disabled people that weren't mobile.

Some of those that weren't, chose not to be and some had no choice.

Making sweeping statements is not the issue here but does not fit with everybody.

Most people that have severe mobility problems do have to rely on others for many things, but I don't believe it is a legitimate reason for CP to continue door to door delivery for all individuals. Many have family or friends they can and do rely on. Mail does not have to be picked up every day by all people, disabled, marginalized or able bodied.

Have they not already said they would make exceptions?

Have you ever tried to have an exception made for your circumstances? It is demeaning and demoralizing, and pushes a person who is already marginalized further toward the edge.

I don't think people should have to beg to keep what they've always had. Whatever it may be.

I am speaking from personal experience; I used to have an able-bodied privileged attitude before I learned the hard way. I think everyone has to walk in uncomfortable shoes before they realize how good they had it in comparison to someone else. 

Message 263 of 317
latest reply

All I will say is everyone treats their situation differently and in 90% of the cases, it can be a mental block.

Enough of this topic as I really don't think it will go anywhere and is not really the topic of this total discussion.

I am sorry if you are in a difficult situation, but that can't influence some decisions for other, or justify total cost for others.

Message 264 of 317
latest reply

Canada Post is currently under review

http://www.tpsgc-pwgsc.gc.ca/examendepostescanada-canadapostreview/index-eng.html

Input is requested from all Canadians.

There are many things that have to be addressed.

This review is a way to express one's concerns.....

Not only concerns  but also ways to take care of a problem  with CPC's adjustments   that will be forthcoming.

Message 265 of 317
latest reply

I've read about the review and it will be many months before anything comes to light and of course depending who is doing it, and what will happen to the results, maybe something will come of it. Or it could be like Ebay's studies and surveys!

I certainly hope it is not going to take that long before the government says enough is enough with the ridiculous union demands which seem to increase every day. I just can't see them resolving anything no long how they supposedly negotiate.

That union needs to be dissolved and let business be run how it should be run, not to support the union and the public get the shaft.

CUPW is one of the most ridiculous unions that still exists and this garbage should not be allowed to keep going on every time their contract is up.

Message 266 of 317
latest reply

Two-Tier Is a No-Go!
Share This

Monday July 25 2016
2015-2019/156
No 54

We have taken a strong stand against two-tier wages, benefits and pensions throughout our history. CUPW has stood strong on this issue and we will continue to do so. The current wage structure in the Urban Ops collective agreement may not meet the definition of two-tier because all employees will eventually reach the same maximum rate but it is not a fair system. This wage structure has one group of employees with a starting rate that is over $5.00 per hour lower than the other employees that they work alongside. It also takes these employees 7 years to reach the maximum rate, once they become regular employees while their co-workers reach the maximum in 5 years. CPC and the previous government forced this unfair wage system on us during the last round of negotiations and now is the time to correct this injustice.

RSMC and Urban – Time For Equity

The most obvious inequity that currently exists within CPC is the huge discrepancy in pay and benefits between the RSMC and Urban bargaining units. This is the round where this must be corrected. RSMC and Urban work side by side and perform essentially the same work and yet RSMCs receive wages that are substantially lower and they receive less vacation and reduced paramedical services.

CPC’s Two-Tier Proposals

CPC has brought forward many two-tier proposals during this round of bargaining. In their global offers from June 25, 2016 they included the following two-tier proposals:

• CPC is proposing that new regular employees in the Urban unit must wait longer to achieve extra weeks of vacation and that they are capped at 6 weeks.

• CPC is proposing that all new regular employees in the Urban unit will not be eligible for pre-retirement leave.

• CPC is proposing that all future regular employees in both the RSMC and Urban units will be enrolled in a defined contribution pension plan and not the defined benefit plan that all current regular employees are enrolled in. Our pension plan is what gives us security for our lives after CPC and must be protected.

How Does This Impact You?

If you are currently an On Call Relief Employee or a Temporary employee then the impact is obvious. When you achieve a regular position you will get a very inferior defined contribution pension plan. For temporary employees, you will also receive less vacation leave and no pre-retirement leave.

If you are currently a regular employee (part-time, full-time, RSMC route holder or permanent relief employee) then the impact of these two-tier proposals may not be so obvious. These changes may not impact you this round but what about the next round of negotiations? What will CPC come after then? Once we open the door for two-tier pensions and benefits then they will keep coming for more. Remember that CPC’s original proposal for our pensions was to have all new regular employees and all future service for current plan members converted to a defined contribution plan and eliminate the seventh (7th) week of vacation and pre-retirement leave for all current regular employees. This could still be put back on the table and if not this round then it will be there during the next round.

These two-tier proposals impact each and every one of us and we must all stand up and say no to any two-tier system.

What Is Happening Now

On the weekend we made some progress toward resolving the long dispute over access to information for letter carrier routes. There are still major issues to be resolved and language to be reviewed but it was a step in the right direction.

Today, we continued to work on the access to information issue. We also reviewed timelines and what needs to happen this week.

What Can You Do?

Continue with work floor actions and activities. The more that happens out in the locals the more that CPC realizes that we are strong and determined. Tell your local management that we deserve good working conditions, benefits, wages and the same defined benefit pension plan for all postal workers. Be loud and be proud to be a postal worker.

Say NO to Two-Tier!

Sylvain Lapointe
Chief Negotiator, Urban Unit
George Floresco
Chief Negotiator, RSMC Unit
Message 267 of 317
latest reply

Brief Historical Background

Tuesday July 26 2016
2015-2019/157
No. 55

Negotiations between the parties have now been underway for over eight months. They began on November 20, 2015, intensified starting in April 2016, and are still ongoing. On June 25, 2016, the employer presented the Union with two global offers. Canada Post initially said that these were the best offers it could make under the circumstances. On July 1st, 2016, the Union submitted two global offers of its own to the employer.

Canada Labour Code

The parties obtained the right to strike/lockout under the Canada Labour Code on July 2nd, 2016. Under the Code, the Union must obtain a strike mandate to be able to exercise its constitutional right to strike. Members of both bargaining units took part in strike votes and on June 26, 2016 overwhelmingly mandated the Union to conduct strike activities whenever it deemed appropriate. Under the Canada Labour Code, this strike mandate is in effect until August 25, 2016.

Our will to negotiate remains strong

The Union decided not to use this pressure tactic immediately on July 2nd, 2016, choosing instead to give negotiations a chance. Negotiations are ongoing and, with the entire membership’s unfailing support, the Union continues to fight for fair and equitable working conditions for everyone. Canada Post must now get on board.

Today’s Activities

Today we met with Canada Post to discuss more of the outstanding issues at the RSMC table. We continued our discussions on our mandate to achieve full seniority rights for all RSMCs when they become regular employees. Seniority is a fundamental union right and CPC must understand this and settle this issue.

We also signed some housekeeping language which corrected minor errors in the collective agreement. In addition we signed-off language on the recovery of overpayments for RSMCs limiting the amount to 10% of an employee’s pay each pay period not including your vehicle expense.

We have been waiting for a week now for CPC to inform us of the cost for providing RSMCs with the same uniforms as letter carriers. CPC has still not provided this information.  

With solidarity and determination, we will get the collective agreements we deserve.
Sylvain Lapointe
Chief Negotiator, Urban Unit
George Floresco
Chief Negotiator, RSMC Unit
Message 268 of 317
latest reply

This union will be hated before this is over as they get more ridiculous and keep bring up more and more ridiculous demands every time the post their garbage!

Personally, I would like to see them get locked out for about 6 months and see how strong they are. Not nice to say, but this is what it is coming to.

I am sick and tired of user costs going up constantly because of their idiotic demands.

Message 269 of 317
latest reply

@dutchman48 wrote:

This union will be hated before this is over as they get more ridiculous and keep bring up more and more ridiculous demands every time the post their garbage!

Personally, I would like to see them get locked out for about 6 months and see how strong they are. Not nice to say, but this is what it is coming to.

I am sick and tired of user costs going up constantly because of their idiotic demands.

One could say that you keep bringing up the same things every time you post about this.  Do you have any information to back up your statement that the union keeps bringing up more and more "ridiculous demands," or even what makes these demands "idiotic" in the first place?  I don't see any additional demands being brought up here, only fine-tuning.  Such is the nature of negotiations.

Remember, once upon a time a 40-hour work week with holidays and two days a week off was probably viewed as a ludicrous idea by many business operators.

Message 270 of 317
latest reply

This will continue to be a most interesting 30 days.

We must remember that CPC has the money to run the business.

CUPW submits its demands...  and that is all that CUPW does....  

Who is in control?.... Who has the money?

CUPW's demands can be met if CPC has the money to do so.... Perhaps....

What will be the result of these discussions......

Could be something most unexpected... and very much a part of CPC's future plans..

We shall See!

Message 271 of 317
latest reply

Were you able to get you defect removed?

Message 272 of 317
latest reply

Something extra from the CUPW web-site

Canada Post is celebrating almost two decades of profits by trying to extract more concessions from the workers who have made it profitable. What they have handed us simply emphasizes their demands for cutting costs on our backs.

A profitable public service should not be attacking our working standards. They refuse to address the glaring discrepancy between rural and urban mail carriers, and instead seek to divide and conquer us by asking the current generation of postal workers to accept rollbacks for future generations and reduce the quality of life for our children. 

We are more than prepared to be flexible and have been actively proposing ways for Canada Post to adapt to changing times and changing needs. But it looks like Canada Post managers are not interested in allowing the government’s postal review to proceed without interference, and are instead resorting to heavy-handed demands designed to force a labour conflict. 

Message 273 of 317
latest reply

a 2 tier wage system is one way to pay for the existing members increases and pensions, someone has to.. why would the union care if new hires make less money. they are not hired yet and have no say in the matter. and why would fellow workers care if new hires make less money, as long as it insures their wages are left intact..it just make business sense as the older workers retire the newer workers make less money and the company goes on making their numbers..it is business 101.

Message 274 of 317
latest reply

I agree, but their are certain people on here that are as pro union as I am against it and they do not read or have any idea of business 101.

One in particular that comes to my mind.

Message 275 of 317
latest reply

Maybe instead of constantly posting unsubstantiated junk, you should take the time to reread all the union demands, or better yet, write them out for yourself

You can post all the information you want, but allow others to do the same without slamming them every chance you get.

Message 276 of 317
latest reply

Meeting the needs of the elderly, those with mobility challenges or experience injury to get their mail ......

All with respect to the change to community mailboxes

Critics have also blasted the plan for putting elderly Canadians and those with mobility challenges at risk of not being able to get to their mail, or injury when venturing to community boxes to retrieve it.

Hamilton said Canada Post has worked diligently to ensure mail will continue to be delivered to all residents, with affected individuals advised to have mail redirected to caregivers, the post office or relatives.

For those who can’t find any alternative, Canada Post will deliver mail to the home every fifth day of the week, Hamilton said, for those who qualify.

Message 277 of 317
latest reply

And how does Canada Post determine who qualifies? Are they hiring a panel of doctors, nurses and social workers to judge that?
Message 278 of 317
latest reply

That all stinks of able-bodied entitlement further pushing less-fortunate to the outer edges of society.
Message 279 of 317
latest reply

I would like to remind everyone to please stay on the topic of updates to the Canada Post strike. 

Message 280 of 317
latest reply