Canada Post and their crazy rates!

momoftwingles2
Community Member
Hi all,

This just doesn't make any sense at all. However, no complaints from me and/or my customer!

To send a package to The Netherlands that weighs 250 grams and measures 25.5 x 19.5 x 1 cm thick costs the following via Canada Post:

Other Letter: $14.00
Light Packet: $8.95
Small Packet AIR: 8.23
Small Packet SURFACE: $6.24

Hopefully this is not a glitch when I print the postage!

Susan
momoftwingles2
Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Small Packet AIR: 8.23

Correct, that is the way to go. Over 100gr, SP has always been less $$'s than LP.

Bernie
Message 2 of 11
latest reply

momoftwingles2
Community Member
Yes, that's for sure...but look how much cheaper Small Packet is than OTHER LETTER!

Their pricing makes no sense especially when it's $5.77 cheaper to send with insurance!

Or is the $14.00 for 200 to 500 grams incorrect for Other Letter?

By the way...welcome back, Bernie!

Susan
momoftwingles2
Message 3 of 11
latest reply

Hi Susan. For a moment I was trying to figure out what was your point lol...but I have been aware of and working around these rates for years so they have not been an issue for me.

First off, whenever you have anything that falls within 200-250 grams, it's always cheaper to use small packet or light packet. The much higher letter rate (if the dimensions qualify) covers envelopes from 200-500 grams so you'd be paying for extra weight allowance you don't need.

Secondly, small packet is almost always cheaper internationally than is light packet. There used to be one international rate for small packet but now it goes by zones so the small packet rate varies. The more advantageous small packet rate (with insurance) vs light packet has been that way since the last two annual increases. It doesn't make sense but just like you, I am not complaining.

It would be nice if Canada Post would break down the last 300 grams of letter-mail into smaller increments for us so that we could send say a 300 gram envelope at a cost that's more relative to the 250 gram rate. They did break it down for Canadian shipments this year but didn't give us any break, keeping the 200-500 gram rate for 200-300 gram envelopes and INCREASING the rate for 300-400 grams AND 400-500 grams. Likewise, it would be nice if they came out with a 750 gram rate that would cost less than the 501-1000 gram weight, but I think we'd all be dreaming in technicolor to expect Canada Post to make changes that would actually cost us less. It seems every year they are looking at ways of changing the postal system so that it costs more for us (like the proposed flexibility rule they did away with last year). My concern is when is enough going to be enough? The rates go up each and every year. Small increases don't hurt but added up over a 5-10 year span, they are enormous. One day it's going to cost as much to send a 500 gram envelope to the US as it does now to send a 1000 gram one.

As sellers it's important to be on top of the ins and outs of the postal rates. I had a lady in Alberta charging me $11 for an envelope that would at the time, have cost about $6 to send if broken up into two separate envelopes. I had another lady in N.S. that wasn't using the online labels with the 25% discount. There are a lots of little tricks and its in our best interest to know them and use them to our advantage. 😉

Cheers!
Message 4 of 11
latest reply

momoftwingles2
Community Member
Yes! I keep up with what Canada Post is doing. I was just trying to say that it's crazy how much cheaper it is to send with insurance than without via Small Packet to international destinations. I noticed this, just as you mentioned, over the past two increases...but it seems like there's a more significant difference now...which does help us!

I do agree...CP's rates continue to go up a little at a time...but every little bit hurts. The US Power Sellers have the same complaints regarding the USPS rates as well. They are going to be in for a real shocker when they go to only Monday - Friday deliveries! We're all getting hit hard all around the world!

Like you...if I can find a way to ship items in more than one parcel and save a customer money...I do. It's a bit more work, but in return that customer will come back because they know you've gone the distance!

Ah....Canada Post! Here's to their logic!

Susan
Message 5 of 11
latest reply

They are going to be in for a real shocker when they go to only Monday - Friday deliveries!

Hi Susan,

I had read that USPS was thinking about eliminating the Saturday delivery. Is that now definite and, if so, do you know when it will take effect?

Canada had Saturday delivery at one time and Canadians survived it so I am sure the Americans will get used to it too. At least it would make them more aware of the fact that not all countries have weekend mail service.

Judy
Message 6 of 11
latest reply

momoftwingles2
Community Member
Hi Judy,

Nice to see you!

I don't know if they have an *engraved in stone* date set yet for not delivering on Saturdays!

Like Health Care changes in the States....they will survive the post office not delivering mail on the weekends!

I remember when we had Saturday mail here in Fairy Glen...but not in Melfort. I always thought that was a really nice perk. However, not having it has not been a big deal!

We all just have to show a bit more patience!

I find it interesting on the US list that they complain about their US customers slamming them for shipping/handling costs AND shipping time!

Have a good one!
Susan
Message 7 of 11
latest reply

I don't know if they have an *engraved in stone* date set yet for not delivering on Saturdays!

The latest word was in Q1 2011

But they have only made the application to Congress for this in the past week. That process takes months and then they will have to provide a notice period before implementation.

I'll take a wild guess that it will be May 2011 (my backup guess is Jan 2011).

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 8 of 11
latest reply

ameroindustries
Community Member
How else are they gonna pay for the shiny new building they have at the Winnipeg airport .

Its a crime the rates canada post charges .
Message 9 of 11
latest reply

For those with short memories, Canadian Saturday postal delivery disappeared in the mid 60's except for delivery to Postal Boxes. The Saturday delivery to Postal Boxes did not last long. The dropping of Saturday pickup of mail is a more recent "postal improvement"
Message 10 of 11
latest reply

I remember those days. They said computers and modern technology would make life easier and people would have more leisure time.

And we used to have Saturday mail delivery as well as daily milk & bread delivery.....most mothers stayed home at least until their children were in school....stores were closed on Sundays so families could spend time together.

And you used to be able to buy quality merchandise. Our first toaster lasted for 15 years.

But then I ramble. Progress, eh?........?:|
Message 11 of 11
latest reply