'Delivered by Christmas' promise on listings. Er.....

So this is interesting. I saw this for the first time this afternoon. On my own listings but only when viewed on ebay.ca and ebay.co.uk and NOT ebay.com or ebay.com.au.

Here's the thing, though:

Canada Post says the deadline for Tracked Packet International service and 2016 Holiday Delivery passed on Friday, Dec. 2. It's Dec. 6 now. Will those items arrive to the UK within eight business days? Probably, but Tracked Packet is NOT a guaranteed service. 

My concern is that this is setting dangerous expectations for certain buyers overseas whose CPC-assigned deadline has passed while ignoring completely for some reason our USA buyers who are actually still within the CPC comfort zone.

So, er, what the heck?

This one from ebay.ca as shown to a Canadian address for delivery.

Screen Shot 2016-12-06 at 5.16.59 PM.png

This one from ebay.co.uk as shown to a buyer with a London address:

Screen Shot 2016-12-06 at 5.19.01 PM.png

For the record, these are the actual Canada Post deadlines and I put them in the Payment Instructions on all my listings mid-November:

Seller's payment instructions

CANADA POST DEADLINE FOR 2016 HOLIDAY DELIVERY: WITHIN CANADA EXPEDITED PARCEL is DEC 12  and XPRESSPOST is DEC 21 /// USA TRACKED PACKET is DEC 12 and XPRESSPOST is DEC 16 /// OVERSEAS (EUROPE ASIA AUSTRALIA) TRACKED PACKET is DEC 2 and XPRESSPOST is DEC 9. PLEASE SELECT YOUR SERVICE WISELY
Message 1 of 72
latest reply
71 REPLIES 71

Re: 'Delivered by Christmas' promise on listings. Er.....

Hi Mj, did it get delivered today?  Can you post a picture of the tracking info as I want to see where the hold up is in Australia as I have had to block them?

Message 61 of 72
latest reply

According to tracking, it did not get delivered yesterday. In fact, the parcel shows no movement since last week. 

Message 62 of 72
latest reply

Canada Post data:

Screen Shot 2016-12-28 at 12.42.55 PM.png

Australia Post: 

Screen Shot 2016-12-28 at 12.44.31 PM.png

Message 63 of 72
latest reply

I kinda suspected that as they are having some serious problems with mail. 

Message 64 of 72
latest reply

Jus like here, there was no mail delivery yesterday in Australia so I'm sure that they will be even further behind in deliveries

Message 65 of 72
latest reply

Hi Pj, they (Australia) are a day ahead.  Right now it is Thursday morning at 9:20 AM.

Message 66 of 72
latest reply

On the other hand, I just had something delivered in Brazil two weeks sooner than expected. 

Screen Shot 2016-12-28 at 6.54.53 PM.png

Message 67 of 72
latest reply

PACKAGE DELIVERED NOTICE RECEIVED TONIGHT. For the original subject of this post. Delivered Dec. 29 11:29 am their local time while the latest EDD by eBay on Order Details was given as Dec 22. CPC delivery standard was Dec 28.
Message 68 of 72
latest reply

No feedback received from buyer. Yet.
Message 69 of 72
latest reply

And in other (more of the same) news....

http://www.ecommercebytes.com/C/blog/blog.pl?/pl/2016/12/1482977313.html

Wed Dec 28 2016 21:08:33
eBay Shipping Slip Stresses SellersBy: Ina Steiner

eBay stressed sellers over the holidays by failing to account for this week's Federal holiday, as we reported in yesterday's 411 newsletter. Despite the fact there was no mail on Monday and Post Offices were closed, eBay's shipping label software failed to take that into account.

Some sellers worried the perceived "late" acceptance scans might impact their performance standards (Top Rated Sellers who fail to meet shipping deadlines can lose their TRS discounts for those transactions and can potentially lose TRS status). 

"This problem with Monday holidays has been going on for years," an eBay seller wrote....

Message 70 of 72
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:

"This problem with Monday holidays has been going on for years," an eBay seller wrote....

Quite true, in fact as long as I can remember.  And we can add to that statement that the problem with ignoring Canadian holidays has been going on for just as long. 

Message 71 of 72
latest reply

No feedback received from buyer. Yet.

Don't poke the bear.

Message 72 of 72
latest reply