High prices and postage from US

I purchased a few craft books today to sell on eBay. When I got home, I found a little black and white leaflet of 6 pages with 4 crochet patterns. I didn't think it would be worth listing, but I checked on eBay to see if there was one listed there. I found one, listing price $13, and $22 postage to Canada!!

I weighed it and it is 14 grams, I can mail it for $1.60 to the US.

I still don't really think it's worth listing, I wouldn't put more than $4 on it, and I don't list items that low.

Do sellers really think someone would pay $35 for this?

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Re: High prices and postage from US

It all depends how badly someone might want that particular book I guess. A lot of US sellers will put a coin in some sort of Priority Flat Rate box, just because they can, and the boxes are free. It really makes no sense to me at all.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

pomehead
Community Member

A lot of sellers are making out that they have to pay more than they actually do.  How could it cost me less to have things shipped from the UK than the US?  Because ebay sellers are overcharging.

I recently contacted a seller and told them that I went to the USPS site and calculated the shipping at $5.75, as opposed to the $20 she was asking for.

Needless to say, my bid was declined.

Isn't there some sort of rule about this on ebay?

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

If I see something I really want, I question the seller re: S&H charge to my location before buying.  If they do not reply, I don't buy.  If they lower the charge and still are $4-$6 over actual cost I reflect my disgust in leaving a low DSR.

Personnally I would like to see Ebay give an automatic 5 star rating after a buyer agrees to pay all listed charges.  It is a contractual agreement after all.   

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

If they lower the charge and still are $4-$6 over actual cost I reflect my disgust in leaving a low DSR.

Seriously? They have lowered the price, you have agreed to that price and then you leave a low DSR?

Personnally I would like to see Ebay give an automatic 5 star rating after a buyer agrees to pay all listed charges.  It is a contractual agreement after all. 

That contradicts what you said you do when you are a buyer.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Beware of kittens with red bows, bullies in bandannas, and whining broken records.

€ Lucifleur

~Lucifleur
Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Oh, i lost my post!!  All it posted was the quote. Hmmm

Beware of kittens with red bows, bullies in bandannas, and whining broken records.

€ Lucifleur

~Lucifleur
Message 7 of 7
latest reply