How can you know what taxes & duties are added to a purchase from US-Can before you make a purchase?

When I purchase an item from US to Canada can I assume the shipping covers taxes & duties? How can I know what charges are going to be added before I make a deal?

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

How can you know what taxes & duties are added to a purchase from US-Can before you make a purchase?

If the seller is using the Global Shipping Program (which buyers hate), all import and duties costs are shown right under the shipping cost and you will not pay anything more than that.

If the seller doesn't use the Global Shipping Program, you will be charged import fees that are not listed (because the seller doesn't know what they will be). You can go to the customs website for import fees for purchases over $20.

**********************************************************************************

Non payers should get unpaid item strikes and be added to block bidders lists. Period.
Message 2 of 3
latest reply

If the seller does not use the Global Shipping Program in addition to duty, which is not often applicable with NAFTA made goods, you will pay sales tax (5%to 15% depending on province) and a service/customs brokerage fee which varies from shipper to shipper.

Canada Post charges $9.95 while UPS is $25 up.

Message 3 of 3
latest reply