How do I find suppliers for brand name electronic products?

I would like to start a business selling brand name electronics on the ebay.ca website. However, I am having issues finding a legitimate supplier that can provide me with the products for a decent wholesale price and that ships to Canada. Does anyone have any suggestions as to where I can find these products? I've searched the internet for hours and have used websites such as wholesale central, doba, worldwidebrands, alibaba, aliexpress, tradekey and good ol google. I can only seem to find goods that are fake or low quality. I really need some help because I would like to get this business up and running in the near future.

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Re: How do I find suppliers for brand name electronic products?

Please allow me a few minutes to explain.

Five years ago, at the corner of Main St and Centre St there was a gas station doing tremendous business.  We would often see line-ups for a few minutes.

Some smart businessman, with retail experience,  decided that there was enough business at the corner to open a second gas station.  Within a year the two gas stations survived and did fine.

A third businessman, not experienced in gas or any type or retailing, figured he could do the same and share in their success.  Now they were three gas stations at the corner, barely surviving through price wars, cutting hours, staff, etc...

Finally a fourth person (no experience in business nor retail) comes along and figures he is smarter and can do better.  A fourth gas station is opened at the corner.

A year later all four went out of business.

"...selling brand name electronics on the ebay..."

Frankly the category is crowded with established businesses with established source of supply and the chances of success by a newcomer are slim to none.  If selling online is what you really want to do, stick to what you know - meaning products you know with reliable established sources of supply.

Do not expect your competitors to help you find competitive sources of supply so you can compete with them.

Good Luck

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

@allelectronicgadgets wrote:

I would like to start a business selling brand name electronics on the ebay.ca website. However, I am having issues finding a legitimate supplier that can provide me with the products for a decent wholesale price and that ships to Canada. Does anyone have any suggestions as to where I can find these products? I've searched the internet for hours and have used websites such as wholesale central, doba, worldwidebrands, alibaba, aliexpress, tradekey and good ol google. I can only seem to find goods that are fake or low quality. I really need some help because I would like to get this business up and running in the near future.

Hi there,

With all due respect, even if you could find a supplier willing to sell to you there would be no way for you to purchase in quantities large enough for you to get the price breaks and "co-op" required to compete with established companies whether they are here on Ebay or anywhere else. My apologies if you are extremely wealthy or have a huge investment wad ready to go and my assumption to the contrary is incorrect.

Eevn if you are significantly funded, the process required to get most legit suppliers to sell to you requires business references, bank references etc that most small business, just opening up, simply do not have. When I started my last business, even with a sparkling credit rating, I was on COD with all of my suppliers for close to a year before I could establish a line of credit and even begin to negotiate any kind of volume discounts. No way i could have competed on Ebay in that business.

I wish you the best of luck but honestly don't believe that what you are looking to do is something that anyone would be successful at on Ebay today.

Cheers,

thD

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

@allelectronicgadgets wrote:

This exact topic came up a few months back at an e-commerce meeting. Quite interestingly, the true wholesalers, entry level suppliers, do not do internet. They are very much a phone them or go and see them type of business. They are certainly not going to extend you credit.

Trade shows are an excellent place to make contact. Some shows travel and others have permanent, full time, locations.

You will need to buy in their minimum quantities, cash up front. Do you have a secure facility preferably with a loading dock? I personally know some "small fish" and they have warehouses.

I dunno, everyone starts somewhere. Buddy of wine has a piece of property that would be excellent for a winery, so, I asked him: "How do you make a million dollars in the wine business?".  He says: "Start with two million?".

Photobucket
Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Get out the phone book and call local wholesalers.

Expect to pay upfront for all your stock.

Send your spouse out to work.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

A winery you say...

I thought that referred to books!

----------------------------------

I would suggest that OP  go to the Discussion boards on eBay.com...

and read about the problems associated with the selling of electronics  on the Selling Board...

Link to 

http://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/bd-p/selling-db

Search through the many old topics ... for electronics...

Electronics is one of the most difficult categories for a seller.

and... I do not see wholesaler giving one a break in the price of inventory...

and in turn   a seller's profit is based on what one pays for inventory  and not  the final sale price.

Many sellers look on the sale price relative to inventory price.... 

starting with a sale to inventory ratio of 5 to 1, or 7 to 1, and sometimes as high as 10 to 1

A ratio of 5:1 means you buy it for $10 and sell it for $50 .... to cover the costs of selling....  and then make a profit....

Large corporations  make a profit based on the sale of  a very, very high number of sales....

A bit like that seller of farm machinery... grain combines... that I saw yesterday....He had about 40 combines in inventory at his location in western Manitoba....  and he looked to be very, very successful... also tractors and other farm equipment....His facility looked very new....  John Deere Farm equipment.....  the name of the manufacturer speaks for itself..

Then there was the New Holland dealer......  new very bright colors ... spectacular view... of his equipment... much,  much less in number than the John Deere dealer.... but  with great, and well known quality...

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

@mr.elmwood wrote:

"How do you make a million dollars in the wine business?".  He says: "Start with two million?".

I've got a cleared half-acre in the winery area of the southern Annapolis Valley, perfect soil and exposure for a little terroir perdu.  Anybody want it for $20K?  Woman LOL

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Wayne Gretzky is now in the wine business.

He may be interested

http://www.gretzkyestateswines.com/cms-wge/wines/new-wayne-gretzky-okanagan.html

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

@rose-dee wrote:

@mr.elmwood wrote:

"How do you make a million dollars in the wine business?".  He says: "Start with two million?".

I've got a cleared half-acre in the winery area of the southern Annapolis Valley, perfect soil and exposure for a little terroir perdu.  Anybody want it for $20K?  Woman LOL

Gonna do half bottles?

Photobucket
Message 9 of 9
latest reply