How would you respond to this? Need your advice.

I got this email this morning and I am unsure of what to do.  I do not ship to Thailand because mail is unreliable.  I will ship to the USA and it will be with tracking but it is a different address than what would be on file at ebay and paypal.   I would like some advice of what to respond to this person and what to do.   It is for a CD that is worth about $25.

Message 1 of 31
latest reply
30 REPLIES 30

Re: How would you respond to this? Need your advice.

Interesting. That makes sense. 

Message 21 of 31
latest reply

Since op would be shipping with no tracking to anywhere, I woudln't see any point in refusing to ship direct but agreeing to ship to a reshipper.  No proof of if or when it ever got to the reshipper is the same thing as no proof it got to Thailand.  

I would have just sent it to Thailand, never had a problem. No reason to expect greater chance of a problem then within Canada

Message 22 of 31
latest reply

The first post mentioned that if shipped to the US they would use tracking.  For a $25 item though I would ship without tracking in which case it wouldn't matter if it was a PayPal address or not.  Or, I would just ship to Thailand.

As far as adding a US address to PayPal, that hasn't been possible for us to do as long as I can remember but it could be added in eBay.

Message 23 of 31
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:

You get to the second screen capture by clicking the plus sign.

It look like you can add a Canadian address but there's no country drop down.

Message 24 of 31
latest reply

I agree, I don't see any risk in sending something directly to Thailand especially a cheap item that it's unlikely anyone along the way would have any interest in. The Thai postal system is as good as any so unless you are shipping something that could involve a customs issue there shouldn't be any problem at all.

As far as adding addresses in a different country to a PayPal account.....you don't, you add the non-domestic address to your eBay profile then when you go through checkout it will be an option to use for PayPal. Now maybe things have changed since the eBay/PayPal split but that's the way it has always needed to be done for Canadian users and for users in other countries outside the US. (no idea how it works for US users).

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 25 of 31
latest reply

@recped wrote:

As far as adding addresses in a different country to a PayPal account.....you don't, you add the non-domestic address to your eBay profile then when you go through checkout it will be an option to use for PayPal. Now maybe things have changed since the eBay/PayPal split but that's the way it has always needed to be done for Canadian users and for users in other countries outside the US. (no idea how it works for US users).

Yup, that's the way it works and my initial post was incorrect when I suggested adding the new address to both eBay and paypal.    I forgot how that works.

Message 26 of 31
latest reply

I emailed the seller and he changed his address on ebay and paypal to his friends in the USA and bought the item.  I sent it off today, USPS first class this morning with tracking.   Now how did he change his paypal address from Thailand to the USA and I have been with paypal for over 15 years and I can't add a US address when I have a bank account in the US tied to my paypal account and tax number for the US.  

Some of you have been able to do that.  I would like to know how.  There must be some thing I am missing.  How someone from Thailand can do it and I can't just baffles me.  

Message 27 of 31
latest reply

musicyouneed wrote:

I emailed the seller and he changed his address on ebay and paypal to his friends in the USA and bought the item.  I sent it off today, USPS first class this morning with tracking.   Now how did he change his paypal address from Thailand to the USA and I have been with paypal for over 15 years and I can't add a US address when I have a bank account in the US tied to my paypal account and tax number for the US.  

Some of you have been able to do that.  I would like to know how.  There must be some thing I am missing.  How someone from Thailand can do it and I can't just baffles me.  

As mentioned earlier in this topic, any ebayer can have multiple shipping addresses with no restriction on country. The buyer added their USA shipping address to their list of shipping addresses and made it their Primary Shipping Address and bought the item. The sale information is sent to PayPal with the addresses used to purchase the item.

This is how an ebayer in Canada can have a USA address in eBay to ship to a border USA location and pick it up. Same for snowbirds who live in Canada in the summer and the USA in winter.

The buyer does not have the out of country address in PayPal.

Message 28 of 31
latest reply

Hey Poco, I think you are a genius.  I just checked my pay pal account of my last purchase I had sent to the USA and I checked the invoice (transaction details) and it showed my US address.  So by changing it on ebay, it changes it in paypal to my US address.  You have solved my issue,   Thanks so much. 

Message 29 of 31
latest reply

I recently had a buyer contact me via my website asking me to ship to Thailand (I don't) because she really wanted those books. Because insurepost doesn't cover it I was quite reluctant to ship to Thailand given it's a big order, CP does not offer tracked packet and not even xpresspost to t hailand, only surface parcel or small packet air / surface. At the end the buyer gave me her USA friend's address and told me to send them to her USA friend, who'll forward it to her, so I mailed them with expedited parcel and told the buyer that once the parcel reaches her friend, tracking and insurance would end there and I cannot be responsible to what happens to the parcel after that. 

Thailand isn't covered by insurepost so I'm just wondering for sellers who mailed there with oversized letter post / light packet / small packet, have you had any issues?

Message 30 of 31
latest reply

@zee-chan wrote:

I recently had a buyer contact me via my website asking me to ship to Thailand (I don't) because she really wanted those books. Because insurepost doesn't cover it I was quite reluctant to ship to Thailand given it's a big order, CP does not offer tracked packet and not even xpresspost to t hailand, only surface parcel or small packet air / surface. At the end the buyer gave me her USA friend's address and told me to send them to her USA friend, who'll forward it to her, so I mailed them with expedited parcel and told the buyer that once the parcel reaches her friend, tracking and insurance would end there and I cannot be responsible to what happens to the parcel after that. 

Thailand isn't covered by insurepost so I'm just wondering for sellers who mailed there with oversized letter post / light packet / small packet, have you had any issues?

I've shipped to Thailand a few times without any issues.

That said I might not be your best source because I've shipped to lots of the countries commonly thought to be a problem but they have all been fine.

On the other hand the slow or non-delivery issues I've had have all been to countries normally considered to be ok.

It also depends on your expectations, I ship to places like South America where "fine" equals 3 - 6 weeks, if they arrive within a month I consider it went as expected.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 31 of 31
latest reply