I won an auction for an IPhone 4s and paid right away, payment confirmed via PayPal. The seller cancelled our deal. What now ?

danspiper140
Community Member

I won an auction for an IPhone 4s and paid right away, payment confirmed via PayPal. The seller cancelled our deal citing his technical issues with PayPal which is false. My winning bid was at least $200 lower than other phones being sold. He was obviously hoping for more money so he cancelled our deal under false pretence and immediately re-listed the item with PayPal as a payment method. I see today that the winning bid was even lower than mine so someone else is going to be put through the same process. I even offered to pay by other means but he has ignored all of my messages so far. I have left negative feedback. He is going to keep fishing like this until he gets the price he wants. He should be using buy it now option. What other options do I have ? What can EBay do for me ? Thank you !

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

I won an auction for an IPhone 4s and paid right away, payment confirmed via PayPal. The seller cancelled our deal. What now ?

If he did not ask you for a Mutual Cancellation, the transaction is still active.

If you refused a Mutual Cancellation, the transaction is still active.

In both cases, he is paying fees for the incomplete sale.

However, the chances of him actually completing the transaction are pretty low.

At this point, you have left him negative feedback and possibly low DSRs. That is the correct thing to do.

With a 75% feedback rating, I don't think he will be around for long.

Don't stress about it.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

scifan57
Community Member
If your payment hasn't been refunded, go to the PayPal resolution center and open an item not received dispute. State that the seller refuses to ship the item and has relisted it.
Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Hi danspiper.. You received your refund and responded appropriately. If the same item and i believe it , seller is on their third relist in 4 days.

Really doesn't need any assistance with the hole they are digging for themselves.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

I say, it's enough to make you wish some school kid bids over a thousand and then doesn't pay up.  It would tie up his item for 8 days.  That is, if he only has the one.  Maybe he has a whole box of them.  Funny, though, how all his other auctions were 'private' but not this.  And he insists on payment in 24 hours, - and his shipping fee for Expedited (to my province, anyway) is $60.  What does he pack it in, lead?

Anyway, 'danspiper', there isn't much you can do, not really.  Report him as a non-performing seller?  How much time to you want to spend thinking about a person like that?  In my opinion, you are better off taking your money to someone honest and decent.  Sometimes it is worth spending a little more to deal with a superior seller.

Message 5 of 5
latest reply