Item from China going to Canada Stuck with tracking showing going to next Airport for 3 weeks

feer56
Community Member

I ordered an item from China and upon tracking, the last thing I see is from Jan. 27, 2016 stating: Sent to airline, flight number plan CA991, planned departure time 15:50. Should I be worried?

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Item from China going to Canada Stuck with tracking showing going to next Airport for 3 weeks

To be as fair as possible to the seller, the Lunar New Year messes up trade in Asia for a couple of weeks.

However, the festival lasted from Feb 8 to Feb 15 this year, and your item is supposed to have left, by Air Mail, a week before that.

Because so many Asian sellers use Surface shipping, it is polite to allow 30 days for arrival. For North American sellers, with our pretty well integrated postal services, 20 days is plenty.

BUT

That's a pretty weird message. Most people don't know which flight their shipment will leave on, only the shipping company and the barcoded number on the package.

I'm calling shenanigans.

Go to the bottom of this page,  click on the Resolution Centre and open a Dispute for Item Not Received.

The first step is to contact the seller, but I think you have already done that? So go on to the next step and escalate to a Claim.

If the seller cannot prove delivery (delivery, not shipping) then he will be forced to refund you.

If by some chance the purchase arrives after you are refunded, you can return the refund using Paypal's Send Money service.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Hello 'feer56',
<<I ordered an item from China and upon tracking, the last thing I see is from Jan. 27, 2016 stating: Sent to airline, flight number plan CA991, planned departure time 15:50. Should I be worried?>>

Not yet.  When did you pay for it?  Did you pay a shipping fee?  Where is this tracking number coming from, -- for what service?

If you bought a cheap item with "free shipping", that means it will take a long time.  Those items often come by boat (which is what Surface is) and that can take closer to 2 months.  Anyone who does much buying online knows that ebay's "30 days" is fine for the US state-to-state shipping but Surface mail needs closer to 2 months.  UK mail is usually very fast but the last Surface parcel I got from England took 63 days to arrive.

If, however, you bought something expensive and paid a sizeable shipping fee, that should have a real tracking number.  Yours does not seem to work.  So if it was a cheap item that would suggest the tracking number could be fake.  Have you tried entering the number here:

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/apps/track/personal/findByTrackNumber?execution=e1s1

In the rare event that an item actually does not arrive, the following link explains what to do:

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/buy/item-not-received.html#notreceived

Ebay claims can be made within 30 days, but paypal provides 180 days (nearly 6 months) from when you paid to file a claim.  If you ordered a Surface parcel from a place like Malaysia which takes about 3 months to arrive, -- you are still protected by paypal:

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/ua/useragreement-full#13

Without more information there is no way to know if your item is on its way or the seller made all this up just to fool you.  Items from Asia take a long time so if you are not a patient person you might do better to buy closer to home (although I have often waited over 5 weeks for a book or dvd from the US.  Again, -- Surface mail).

More importantly is that if you file too many 'not received' claims you will find your paypal account suspended and that will permanently damage your credit rating.  Non-arrivals are rare but slow arrivals are common.  Use good sense and judgement.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

I was surprised to receive a airline number as well. Tracking it in multiple places give the same response. Also, the seller marked the carrier as "other" the tracking number. Wednesday is the last date of the estimated delivery window. Item was purchased Jan 17.
Message 4 of 8
latest reply

This item was $3 +. The provided a tracking # but also put carrier as 'other'. Purchased Jan. 17. I don't want to file a claim on them too soon since I don't want to have my account suspended but then again I've had another item ordered a little while before show up within the estimated delivery range.
Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Hi again, 'feer56',
A $3 item will definitely NOT have a real tracking number. I was thinking if you bought, say, a camera for $100 or so, and paid $30 for shipping.
If you paid for it Jan 17 and factor in the Chinese New Year delays, since you are covered up to 6 months (180 days) with paypal you may as well wait to see if it shows up.
The last item I bought from China took 51 days to arrive. (From the postmark, the seller mailed it the day after I paid.)
On a cheap 3 dollar item it is wise to wait as long as possible before filing a claim. Too many claims will label you a scammer and that is absolutely not worth it for 3 bucks.
Give your items time to arrive and you will always appear to be fair and honest.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

1July2016 Canada Postal Services general strike starts....Annual Canada Post deficit is 300 million
Orders from China are bankrupting Canada Postal Services , they do not see a dime from shipping included
items shipped from China but they need to pay mail man 24$ an hour to deliver package to your door.
Canada Post to face $1Billion loss by 2020 at current deficit rate.....another words No Parcel from China !
Message 7 of 8
latest reply

1July2016 Canada Postal Services starts general strike ....Annual Canada Post deficit is 300 million
Orders from China are bankrupting Canada Postal Services , they do not see a dime from shipping included
items shipped from China but they need to pay mail man 24$ an hour to deliver package to your door.
Canada Post to face $1Billion loss by 2020 at current deficit rate.....another words No Parcel from China !
Message 8 of 8
latest reply