Light packet rates

Are the rates on the CP site actually correct:

USA  up to 150 - $3.79., up to 250 - $6.37, up to 500 - $10.66

International  up to 150 - $6.51, up to 250 - $10.46, up to 500 - $19.12

So for a 200 gram package to the US rate goes from $5.00 to $6.37 and International goes from $7.50 to $10.46

That is absolutely ridiculous and legal theft to keep jacking those rates up every year by such a huge amount. Almost 30% this year again!

How to kill small business.

Message 1 of 60
latest reply
59 REPLIES 59

Re: Light packet rates

@pierrelebel wrote:

According to a news story today in the Toronto Star (Business section) the federal government has rejected Canada Post request to increase domestic postal rate from $0.85 to $0.90

http://www.pressreader.com/canada/toronto-star/20151217/282449937975748/TextView

Although I couldn't read this particular link (I'm not on Facebook or Twitter and I can never remember my Google password), I did read other articles on the same subject.

But the postal manager was not referring to the single stamp price increase, but parcels as well.  

Message 22 of 60
latest reply

That is the problem.

When I spoke to the (real) Post Office manager here, they had not yet received any instructions other than the planned "lettermail" increase for next Monday would not take place.

Everything else was unknown.

Message 23 of 60
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

That is the problem.

When I spoke to the (real) Post Office manager here, they had not yet received any instructions other than the planned "lettermail" increase for next Monday would not take place.

Everything else was unknown.

I'm sure the postal outlet manager misunderstood.  I'm certainly not holding my breath, hoping that the parcel rates won't go up.  Just like my rent, they go up every year! 

Message 24 of 60
latest reply

Since Sonny Trudeau assumed power, the minister now responsible for Canada Post is  the Minister of Government Services and Procurement, the Hon. Judy Foote.

A press release by Canada Post on Dec 15 confirmed that regulated postage rates (i.e. for lettermail) for 2016 will remain at 2015 levels. (It doesn't take rocket science to imagine how this will impact CP's bottom line). CP claims that this decision is in line with what was outlined in Ms. Foote's mandate letter. How they reached this conclusion baffles me. All the mandate letter says in reference to CP is that a "review" of CP is to be undertaken. Of course, the suspension of CP's drive to switch everyone to community mailboxes is not mentioned in the letter either.

As far as I can tell, CP's press release was not given a wide airing in the media. IMHO this is symptomatic of the sad fact that Canada Post is of little interest to the average Canadian and excites mainly eBayers, who are stuck with this dinosaur, over whom the Government of Canada is rapidly losing all control.

Happy New Year to all!

Tom

Message 25 of 60
latest reply

There would be a publication lag, of course.

Canada Post printed and distributed the 'new ' rates, expecting a rubberstamp from Parliament,

Then the new government said it would not approve the rate increase.

This happened once before, in 1981, when CP wanted to increase the price of first class postage from 17 cents to 30 cents. The government of the day was reluctant to allow this, and CP was running out of stamps.

So they printed Canada's first non-denominated stamps to tide them over until the new rate was authorized and new denominated stamps could be printed.

They are valued at 30 cents.

I don't remember if they were ever sold for 17 cents for use as First Class, no matter what the rate and the current "P" stamps are. A 30.jpeg

Message 26 of 60
latest reply

(It doesn't take rocket science to imagine how this will impact CP's bottom line)

Not much, in the long view.

How many first class letters do you actually receive?

And many if not most businesses are getting discounts on postage for invoices and other regular mailings.

I'm probably unusual because I insist on getting most of my bills by mail. I don't trust computers and like to have paper that shows I paid at the bank counter. Even so, that's maybe six First Class items a month?

Parcels are much are important to Canada Post, along with admail. And Parliament has no say in those rates.

Message 27 of 60
latest reply

Sorry to interrupt... just wondering if anyone found out what the new rates for Light/Small Packets 2016 is yet?

Message 28 of 60
latest reply

https://www.canadapost.ca/tools/pg/prices/SBParcels-e.pdf

Zee-chan,

Poco kindly posted the above link to 2016 parcel prices on Jan 3 in this thread. It gives rates for Small Packets but, as per usual, Light Packet rates are missing. I today (Jan 6) sent a message to René Desmarais, the Parcels wallah at Canada Post, asking him for the LP rates.  As soon as I receive a reply, I'll pass it on.

Tom

Message 29 of 60
latest reply

Thanks. I was hoping to see if Light Packet would go back to the 150g weight break but I guess I'll have to be patient and wait till next week Smiley Happy

Message 30 of 60
latest reply

Femme,

Despite the steadily declining volume of "Transaction Mail" (letters, bills, admail, etc.), this category still accounts for the bulk of Canada Post's revenue.

For example, in 2015 Q3, Transaction Mail revenue was $742 million; Parcels revenue was half that, $380m.

Tom

Message 31 of 60
latest reply

In the third quarter of 2014, Transaction Mail revenue increased by $90 million or 13.7%, while volumes decreased by 58 million pieces or 6.1% compared to the same period in 2013. Volumes continued to decline in the third quarter of 2014 due to the impact of volume erosion from the adoption of other alternatives. For Domestic Lettermail, the largest product category, revenue increased by $67 million or 11.1%, and volumes decreased by 71 million pieces or 7.9% in the third quarter of 2014 compared to the same period in 2013. Demand for mail services from our customers, both households and businesses, continued to decline in the third quarter of 2014 given the many credible alternatives to paper-based communication, the implementation of pay-for-paper initiatives by some of our largest customers, especially in the banking and telecommunications segments, and the highly competitive environment.

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpo/mc/assets/pdf/aboutus/annualreport/2014_Q3_report_en.pdf

Message 32 of 60
latest reply

Keep our fingers crossed lol

Message 33 of 60
latest reply

This just in from the Office of the Vice President, Canada Post:

Light Packet rates for 2016:

Up to                   200 g      300 g       500 g

USA                     5.70         8.23        11.75

Other Interntl      8.78         13.46      24.57

The usual pig's breakfast of rate increases, ranging from 14% to 17.6% (ouch!). The 300-500 g rate to USA remains unchanged - huh?? I don't believe it. Will check on that.

Tom

Message 34 of 60
latest reply

Not unchanged. If I remember correctly for USA 300g was $7.00 during 2015.
Message 35 of 60
latest reply

Yup, CP gives it to us again and they could care less. Makes it really tougher and tougher every year for Canadian small businesses.

Message 36 of 60
latest reply

@zee-chan wrote:
Not unchanged. If I remember correctly for USA 300g was $7.00 during 2015.

up to 300 gr was $7. The 300 - 500 gr rate was $11.75

If the rates toff has are correct, the 300+ rate did stay the same but it's basically useless anyway as the small packet USA rate for 250 - 500gr is less than that - $11.07.

Message 37 of 60
latest reply

@toff3 wrote:

This just in from the Office of the Vice President, Canada Post:

Light Packet rates for 2016:

Up to                   200 g      300 g       500 g

USA                     5.70         8.23        11.75

Other Interntl      8.78         13.46      24.57

The usual pig's breakfast of rate increases, ranging from 14% to 17.6% (ouch!). The 300-500 g rate to USA remains unchanged - huh?? I don't believe it. Will check on that.

Tom

I wish that we could send non-documents as lettermail to the U.S. as we can in Canada.  It's hard to be competitive by charging $5.70 to send a DVD to the U.S. I don't even charge the current $5.00 but, instead, I usually charge $2.95 U.S. which still leaves me kicking in about $1.00 CAD plus the cost of the bubble envelope.  It's pretty hard to incorporate packaging costs and the extra shipping into an item which is under $10.00 and when there's 200 of them for sale.  There's a lot more flexibility for higher priced items, of course, and that's when I revert to free shipping.

I have been very successful, however, with my media sales, so I'll adapt somehow.

Message 38 of 60
latest reply

I queried the $11.75 rate for a 301-500 g Lt Pkt to USA but had not received a reply by the close of business on Friday afternoon.

Tom

Message 39 of 60
latest reply

So it looks as if mailing a document up to 200g to the US will be cheaper at lettermail $5.15, rather than light packet now $5.70?

Message 40 of 60
latest reply