Stamp question

How to tell a stamp is made by 'chalky' paper ?

Does it have powder dropping ?

Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Stamp question

Hi again, I figured I'd maybe better add to this.... actually usually when I encounter chalky paper stamps they have been soaked which is why the stuff I described is as it is (you aren't supposed to soak them).

Anyway I had a brainwave to look up the real definition in the Scott Catalogue for you (you really should think about getting at least an old set of these catalogues, or keep an eye when your library ditches an old set).

In fact when the stamp was new, it did have a chalky substance on the surface, which is meant to stop people from soaking the stamps and reusing them (these are old stamps back in the early 1900s). It also created a smoother more printable surface (that is why it is a bit glossy). I've seen both mint and used and I have to confess I wouldn't have said there was anything on the surface, however it must be a very small amount, and as I mentioned the stamps will be in the 60 - 100 years old timeframe.....

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Stamp question

This is hard to describe. Here is my best attempt: the paper will be a bit shiny on the design surface (not really shiny) and the images will be blurred a bit, they won't be crisp. There is no actual chalk, or anything like that. Hopefully that helps.

The easiest way to see the difference is keep a regular style issue and a chalky paper issue for reference.....they are old stamps so sometimes it is hard to tell depending on what has happened to them in the last 60 or so years.....

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

Stamp question

Hi again, I figured I'd maybe better add to this.... actually usually when I encounter chalky paper stamps they have been soaked which is why the stuff I described is as it is (you aren't supposed to soak them).

Anyway I had a brainwave to look up the real definition in the Scott Catalogue for you (you really should think about getting at least an old set of these catalogues, or keep an eye when your library ditches an old set).

In fact when the stamp was new, it did have a chalky substance on the surface, which is meant to stop people from soaking the stamps and reusing them (these are old stamps back in the early 1900s). It also created a smoother more printable surface (that is why it is a bit glossy). I've seen both mint and used and I have to confess I wouldn't have said there was anything on the surface, however it must be a very small amount, and as I mentioned the stamps will be in the 60 - 100 years old timeframe.....

Message 3 of 3
latest reply