UPS.ca vs. eBay UPS Online

kewl-dealz
Community Member
Hello everyone.

As all PowerSellers, I'm always looking for ways to provide the best service at the most economical cost, without creating a lot of work for myself in the meantime.

While shipping an item to California, we noticed that using eBays online shipping tool for UPS was more expensive than going through the UPS.ca website. I thought that as eBayers we would get a better rate than the street rate. Obviously that isn't the case.

Does anyone bypass the eBay UPS system and use their own UPS.ca account to handle shipments? I'd like to know what the best practice is out there.

Thanks!!
Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

UPS is expensive whether through eBay or your own account unless you are shipping 1000 plus. Their brokerage fees as astronomical and will cause alot of headachees with your USA Buyers when they get a bill from UPS ontop of what they paid for the item.

Fedex is no better unfortunately.

Nevermind both FEDEX and UPS have special surcharges that apply to shipments like:

1. If you ship outside of their commerical zone chart you will incur an additional US$2.50 surcharge

2. If you ship to a RURAL address you will incur an additional US$5.00 surcharge

In addition, we found that both companies have very questionable practices when it comes to Weight and Dimension measurements....example if your item weights 1.4kgs they will actually charge you for 2kgs -- when we dealt with either one we found this to be a general practice -- we noticed on our bills anywhere from 4kg's to 10kg's of extra weight added to our invoice.

Needless to say we dropped both UPS and FEDEX real fast.
Message 2 of 4
latest reply

itrecovery
Community Member
UPS works fime for us. You can contact their sales and ask to put you on incentive program, so you will get discount based on weekly volume.

if you ship items over $200, you better warn customer about brokerage fees.
Message 3 of 4
latest reply

I used to ship with Canada Post, what a nightmare. The package doesn't show-up for 15 days, you call them and they tell you you have to wait 30 days to put in a claim. What a joke, in this day and age they do not have a tracking system. I switched to UPS 1.5 years ago. You can make deals with UPS depending on your volume, they are very flexible. Their tracking system is amazing, they give you an account manager you can talk to. Imagine that, an actual person that you can tell your problems to. 99% of my packages are under $200.00 going to the US so it works out perfect.
Message 4 of 4
latest reply