Unable to give buyer a discount!

NOTE TO EBAY MODS: This was originally posted in the wrong location [Answer Center, where nobody actually answers any questions]. There is no option for me to delete that post, so I am posting it here. Since you are obviously able to delete posts, please delete the one posted earlier, as it is more likely to be ignored. Thank you.

I have an issue. I'd like to subtract a shipping discount on items that were listed with Free Shipping.

When I enter the negative amount in the Discount box on the invoice ("Seller discounts (-) or charges (+)"), this message appears: "Invalid discount amount. You may only provide a discount on shipping, insurance, and/or tax." Okay, well I can't enter a negative number in the shipping box, so... what can I do?

Something tells me ebay support will tell me to go outside of ebay to solve this. That's their go-to solution - ask the buyer to pay / pay the buyer through paypal. Yet, according to ebay's own rules, that would disqualify either party from protection. And it just seems shady to ask a buyer to pay full price while I promise to send the discount afterwards. Is there any in-ebay solution here? Thanks for any ideas.

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

There is only one solution: have the buyer pay the amount of the invoice - you cannot have a negative value in shipping charge nor can you reduce the value of the item at time of invoicing - and send a refund for the amount you wish to refund through PayPal, using the refund function.  This way your PayPal fees on the refund portion are refunded to your account.

There is no way to get a refund from eBay FVF for the refunded overcharge.

Why oh why would you want to refund portion of the shipping when you offer "free shipping"?  It does not make sense.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

There is only one solution: have the buyer pay the amount of the invoice - you cannot have a negative value in shipping charge nor can you reduce the value of the item at time of invoicing - and send a refund for the amount you wish to refund through PayPal, using the refund function.  This way your PayPal fees on the refund portion are refunded to your account.

There is no way to get a refund from eBay FVF for the refunded overcharge.

Why oh why would you want to refund portion of the shipping when you offer "free shipping"?  It does not make sense.

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

Your listings state: "I offer combined shipping discounts! Take $4.00 off for each additional item purchased within 7 days. "

Unfortunately, that concept does not work with eBay when you offer free shipping".

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

There are no eBay mods. This board is managed by Lithium, an outside company that is paid to suspend us.

I gotta agree with Pierre, why offer a discount on free? How does one discount free?
Photobucket
Message 4 of 16
latest reply

Thank you for replying before the zealous mods delete it again.

I understand. I hadn't thought about how the FVF would be affected if the final price were changed.

Unfortunately, ebay has yet another nonsense rule - I can ONLY create a shipping discount rule for EITHER sales in US or CDN $. I expected there'd be some way to apply the discount for sales in the other currency, but apparently there isn't.

As for why I subtract - it's a combined shipping discount which I can offer because I pay a registration fee of about $4 per shipment, not per item.

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

I'm a free shipping guy too, and I do not give shipping discounts for multiple free shipping purchases. Oftentimes, the combined shipping is not much different from the built in shippings for the combined items. I wouldn't expect people to argue about it when it is free shipping anyway, if you do happen to make an extra $4 on each item, put that in the "self insurance cookie jar" that femme speaks a lot about.
Message 6 of 16
latest reply

Who or what is Lithium? In any case, my post was deleted, so there is some form of moderation happening here.
Message 7 of 16
latest reply

The only other way, is to refund everything the buyer has paid, make an entirely new listing with a BIN price with the discount figured in. It just isn't worth it as you are forcing the customer to jump through hoops.

I had a situation, today, where a customer over paid. I use BIN, IPR, flat rate shipping. Well, in province is a lot cheaper for shipping. Buyer has already obviously agreed that the total price is agreeable, so, I simply refund the excess.

It happens very rarely, so, the possible, not probable, side consequences are meaningless.
Photobucket
Message 8 of 16
latest reply

hmmm.....I'm sure that I already answered this somewhere else although it wasn't in the answer center but I don't see the question anywhere else....*twilight zone music*

You could do as Pierre said or make up an invoice through Paypal. You can put the ebay item number in the paypal invoice so that it doesn't look "shady"  The purchase was made through ebay and would still be an ebay transaction which would be covered by ebay and/or paypal.  I have no idea which rule you are referring to about this not being allowed.

I believe that you would still end up paying fvf on the full amount though.

There is a new promotions program that ebay has set up to do things such as discounts after so many items have been purchased. I haven't done any reading up about it so I'm not sure if it is available on .ca and if it is available to all sellers yet but here is the info.

http://ebaybusinessbuilder.com/promotions

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

@atxpoint1 wrote:
Who or what is Lithium? In any case, my post was deleted, so there is some form of moderation happening here.

Lithium is a company, paid by eBay, to moderate all of their boards. eBay washes their hands of everything here.

Photobucket
Message 10 of 16
latest reply

It's kind of telling that ebay uses "Lithium" to moderate its users - something named after a drug that treats mental illness. Hmmm.. what does that say about ebay's attitude towards us?

And PJ - sorry I didn't get to see your earlier response. Thanks for taking the time (again).

I don't really understand why there's this "Seller discounts (-) or charges (+):" section on the invoice if we can't actually put a (-) number in there... But it's not a big deal. I accept the invoice>refund method as the easiest solution for this case.

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

@atxpoint1 wrote:

It's kind of telling that ebay uses "Lithium" to moderate its users - something named after a drug that treats mental illness. Hmmm.. what does that say about ebay's attitude towards us?

And PJ - sorry I didn't get to see your earlier response. Thanks for taking the time (again).

I don't really understand why there's this "Seller discounts (-) or charges (+):" section on the invoice if we can't actually put a (-) number in there... But it's not a big deal. I accept the invoice>refund method as the easiest solution for this case.

That is what mind control is all about. Lithium, mind control, acceptance, you could be a Stepford wife.

Photobucket
Message 12 of 16
latest reply

Lithium is mostly used to power batteries. The medical uses are a happy accident.

Buyer has already obviously agreed that the total price is agreeable, so, I simply refund the excess.

Remember that the 'excess' does not include the fee you will still be paying to eBay for the shipping cost included in your selling price.

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

I charged $20 US, It came to $13 Cdn. I refunded $5 US. FVF is 8%. Factor in PP fees and reimbursement.

Feel free to get back to me.
Photobucket
Message 14 of 16
latest reply

I don't really understand why there's this "Seller discounts (-) or charges (+):" section on the invoice if we can't actually put a (-) number in there...

You can put a -$ in there as long as it is not more than the amount you charge for shipping.

Message 15 of 16
latest reply

He was charging ZERO, that is the problem.
Photobucket
Message 16 of 16
latest reply