Vintage Patterns - Knitting - Crocheting - Sewing - What to Buy OR Sell

Okay - I see eBay/Liveworld has been cutting the valuable threads here - ones that have helped us as buyers and sellers. That information is long gone but hopefully we can re-create some of those threads for the benefit of everyone interested.

I'm not an expert in this subject but I have specialized in selling vintage needlework patterns and items since I began on eBay 4 years ago. So here are just a few tips that may be helpful to some.

SEWING
Collectible and saleable sewing patterns need not be very old to be sought after by the collector and profitable to the seller. But the condition is important and if you feel you don't have the time to check over each pattern envelope, don't expect to reap the rewards of high bids as some have.

When looking - check garage sales, thrift stores and flea markets - I usually prefer to pay 10 to 25 cents per pattern or maybe a dollar or two for a box of them, which usually yields one or more good finds, but leaf through them first....nothing but current patterns that have been used are generally a waste of time and money.

Envelopes needn't be in great condition BUT if mousey chewed or piddled on, avoid...ripped and/or taped is fine as long as all the pieces are inside, but if it's old (1940's or earlier) it's worth the risk and I'll buy it. I've sold many patterns which were missing a piece or two because the experienced seamstress can usually duplicate the pieces if the pattern is one she wants.

Factory folded is great - meaning the pattern is still folded neatly inside the envelope, flat and untrimmed and all there. If the pieces have been trimmed you can tell if they are all there by looking at the paper instruction sheet inside and matching the pattern pieces to the letters or numbers (12 pieces 1-12 or A-L etc.)

Some of the best sellers are for doll clothes especially from the 1960's and earlier. Doll collectors want clothes from the era their dolls were made and collect these patterns even if a few pieces are missing as most patterns offer several outfits per envelope.

Look for a date either on the instruction sheet at the bottom, front or back...or on the envelope, usually at the top of the back or along the side. The price can be an indication too as most of these will be 25 cents to 50 cents originally whereas today's patterns are several dollars each.

Barbie doll fashions are very saleable as are women's fashions from the 40's (halter tops, swing coats, purses and hats etc.), some children's fashions are but mainly those for babies. I've rarely found men's fashions to be worth the effort to sell. Costume patterns are iffy as profit makers unless sold in lots of several to make the shipping worthwhile to the buyer.

Transfer patterns (those with tissue sheets inside with patterns you iron onto fabric or linens and then embroider) are very collectible especially if they are ones for days of the week (7 patterns one for each day and usually of an animal or child doing a daily chore), Mexican scenes, Dutch scenes, animorphic (sp? -fruits/vegetables with faces)etc.....never found much enthusiastic interest in the alphabets/monograms ones so I usually avoid them unless very old.

Handle any tissue pattern very carefully as they may be fragile if stored in hot or damp areas in the past.

When listing give a good close scan of the envelope and if possible the inside pieces (stacked together, not individually) - mention the date and any information from the back of the envelope about contents (name of the doll the pattern is for, date if available, if counted to make sure all pieces are there etc.) - do a search for similar patterns on eBay and see if others are having any success listing the same or similar ones and whether they are getting counter hits and/or bids.

Be realistic in your starting price - I've seen so many sellers starting a single pattern at $4.95US and higher "because it's old" - lots of things are "old" but that doesn't make them worth anything if the buyers are looking for a more reasonable starting bid, especially if condition isn't factory folded and extremely good. And if you can sell 2 or more patterns in one lot it will be more attractive to bidders than just one.

Okay these are just a few things to look for in the sewing area. Next time I'll try and cover the Knitting/Crocheting area of pattern collecting. Any questions or personal observations of your own?? Add them here.

Lyd
Message 1 of 219
latest reply
218 REPLIES 218

Hi all, imagine my delight to find such a fabulous thread!!! Lyd you are a gem!! I have sold in the past a box of vintage crochet/knitting patterns and was well rewarded for my efforts so I have since collected huge pile (working diligently with my turbo lister to finish) but I had bought a box of sewing patterns at an auction for $1(just to help move the auction along). It was full of 50's - 80's patterns, almost all still factory folded in the original envelopes along with an 8" stack of new transfers for embroidary, I think, I didn't realise what kind of a gold mine I had been sitting on!!! I did want to ask what is the $1000 pattern mentioned in this thread?? That just might be asking to much to think I might have one!!
Message 41 of 219
latest reply

Hi - nice to find someone else having a fun and profitable time with "needlework patterns from yesterday" - I love them.

The $1,000.00 tea cozy pattern was a tongue-in-cheek by the poster - not something real....however...who knows what treasures lay buried in an attic or the bottom of a box lot at an auction.

There is some serious money to be made from Mary Card's Giant Crochet Charts from the early 1900's - with envelope if possible but the charts alone can bring in anywhere from $40.00 US to over $200.00 depending on the rarity and the competitive bidding by the die-hard Mary Card enthusiasts. They are usually filet crochet patterns from Needlecraft Magazine of Augusta Maine.

Take a close look at the "new" stack of embroidery transfers because many woman kept their patterns in such good condition, collected but seldom used, that they may appear new but could easily be from the 50's or earlier. If any come with an envelope from a mail order service keep the envelope with the pattern for dating purposes and collectibility.

Sewing atterns from the 50's for aprons, hats, gloves and accessories are very collectible and could stand alone in an auction...others you might want to sort into lots of related categories (baby, child, little girl dresses etc.) and list for $3.95 to $7.95 US depending on the patterns and condition...or whatever you feel is a good starting price based on doing a little research for similar items on eBay....check current and completed auctions to get an idea of where best to start yours.

When I mail them out I always put them in a plastic bag before mailing because if an envelope gets damp, it could ruin the pattern and/or any transfers.

Lyd

Message 42 of 219
latest reply

loonette01
Community Member
Hi Lydia 🙂

I keep forgetting to pop in here, but not anymore, I've added it to my favorites list. This is such a great thread to learn from. Thanks, Lydia!

:-)
Message 43 of 219
latest reply

Aw *sanks Sherri (it is Sherri right - if it isn't would you consider changing your name so I don't look stooooopid and fergetfulllll???)

I try and check in here at least once a day but you can always email me if you have any questions you know?? I think with the way postage is increasing, selling patterns, pattern books etc. is way easier on the shipping cost and so much easier to figure out than parcels....unless of course someone wants to win several auctions and in that case - I don't mind the mental work out figuring it out...after more than 4 years I can calculate shipping, weight, destinations, Canada or the US - in my sleep.

Message 44 of 219
latest reply

loonette01
Community Member
You are correct, Lydia 🙂
Message 45 of 219
latest reply

liancoru
Community Member
Hello Everyone,I just stumbled onto this board - what a treasure trove of information. I recently started selling knit and crochet patterns (the ones I haven't hoarded) and think I could do better with some of the great suggestions I've read. I do have a question, how can you tell the age of a knit pattern? Does anyone have any links to determine this? Sometimes I can't even figure out what decade they came from. Thanks for the fabulous posts.
Message 46 of 219
latest reply

Most times the year is printed on the inside of the front cover especially if they are Canadian or American editions but unfortunately Great Britain seems to rarely print a year on magazines or books that I've come across...though some do have a year.

The fashions and the hairstyles will indicate 1930's - 1940's on many women's and children's knitting pattern books but if you have any doubts you can always add a scan here and I'll give you my opinion based on what I have sold or still have in my inventory.

Sometimes there is a clue on the inside of the cover when it talks about the war years and the need to conserve paper etc. for the war or if there are patterns meant for "our men and boys overseas"...then you can date it to early 1940's.

Lydia
Message 47 of 219
latest reply

loonette01
Community Member
Message 48 of 219
latest reply

ddsk1
Community Member
Happy Thanksgiving and pass the turkey! 🙂
Great info!! Thanks!!
Message 49 of 219
latest reply

lothlorien_myst
Community Member
Hi Lydia,

I thought that you and the other posters who visit this thread might enjoy this site for when you set up your auctions. There are web sets, some with LACE! Purdy stuff 🙂

http://www.classicthemes.co.uk/layering/layerindex.html
Message 50 of 219
latest reply

Oooooo - Jackie - they're pretty, the ones I've looked at so far. Thanks for finding and sharing.

Must have a longer look-see after I get some sleep.

Nite
Message 51 of 219
latest reply

Some beautiful sets. Thanks Jackie!
Message 52 of 219
latest reply

loonette01
Community Member
Hello Lydia!
I'm not sure if you will know the answer to my query, but I figure if you don't know then no one will!

My sister in law gave me a stack of Mon Tricot Magazines that were left over from her garage sale season, knowing that I like to knit and crochet in the winter time. The problem is, they really smell like the basement. She also gave me a big bag of yarn and wool with the same problem. Is there a way to get the musty smell out of the Magazines? Its not fun looking through them for a pattern to make when they smell, I'm constantly washing my hands for fear that they will start to smell musty!
*sigh, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
-Sherri:-)
Message 53 of 219
latest reply

Hi Sherry - there are a few things you can do to see if the smell goes away with the magazines (Mon Tricot are wonderful issues BTW and if they have shawls and/or poncho patterns are also good for bids 🐵 ) ..

1. If you have a microwave put one flat on the floor of the microwave and give it 10-15 seconds on high - let it rest a few seconds then sniff...zap it another 10-15 seconds - rest a few and sniff again. a book seller in a flea market gave me that tip because many of the books she was selling came from an elderly man who stored his in a basement - it worked for me.

2. If you have a large box - sprinkle some baking soda on the bottom and layer a magazine opened on top...sprinkle with more baking soda...add another magazine....just 2 or 3 layered for a start to see if it eliminates the odor....cover the box and let sit for a few days. Remove a magazine shaking out the baking soda and then let it sit for a few minutes...then sniff...see if the odor is gone and then continue with the other magazines - or if it's still there but less than when you started then put it back with more soda sprinkled on top and wait another 2 or 3 days...repeat sniffing examination 🐵HINT: you can buy a huge box in the bulk section of stores like Loblaw's or Bulk Barn.

Try these 2 - I had more success with the microwave on many knitting pattern books from the 40's - but have also used the baking soda too.

As for the yarn that all depends. If it's an acrylic and you can stand to make whatever you want to make from it - you can then launder gently and the odor should be gone after a wash and a tumble dry with a fabric softener sheet.

If it's a natural fibre like cotton or wool that may be a more difficult. I did win several balls of crochet cotton that came from a heavy smoker and they nearly gagged me when I opened the package. I had to leave them on the window ledge in front of an open window for several days and then place them in a bix with a few containers of baking soda next to them...and then repeat with the window airing and then back in the box BUT all 4 large balls are completely odor free.

Hope some of this helps. Maybe others have a different method that's worked for them and wouldn't mind posting their results.

Nite
Message 54 of 219
latest reply

http://www.altered-book.com/odors.html

And - I just located a website with a number of different easy, inexpensive ways to remove odors from musty smelling books...if one doesn't work - try another.

Lyd
Message 55 of 219
latest reply

loonette01
Community Member
Aw thanks Lydia, I knew you would know! I would never have thought to put them in the microwave, I wonder about the staples though? I suppose I could pull them.
About ponchos, shawls and crocheted two piece swimsuits. You have got me well trained! I noticed those right away when I was quickly skimming through the stack! I'm going the make my daughter a poncho, I just need to find the perfect one for someone who is only three. Lately I've been pre-occupied with knitting mittens and hats for winter, I've almost got a good supply!
How is everything with you? I hope that life is treating you good. Take Care, Sherri
:-)
Message 56 of 219
latest reply

Hi Sherri (with an i )

No need to remove the staples - on basic mags like Mon Tricot the staples aren't close enough to the top to cause arcing...if you're worried it might (maybe it depends on the size of your microwave cuz mine is an 1100 watt one) give it only 2 seconds and if you don't hear or see anything then do the full 10-15 seconds.

This is an old pattern book BUT I think it's still available in yarn shops and next to it is the best baby poncho and lacey baby dress that, believe it or not, I use for teens and adults too just by using thicker yarn and a larger book, usually a 4.50mm...I also have just made it for a newborn using a 3.00mm hook and baby fingering yarn...so sweet. Made it in Patons Canadiana Colours using the 4.5mm for a 16 year old and she loved it.

I also have a list of websites with free poncho and shawl patterns but I won't post it here in case whomever has that itchy REPORT trigger finger decides they would like me to be slapped and reports it.

Send me an email and I'll send you the websites...lots of free crochet poncho and shawl patterns...many retro and would look great in updated yarns and colors and many for young ones.

I think I want honey garlic chicken wings...must kiss up to the man in my life and see if he'll take me out.

Later
Message 57 of 219
latest reply

Oh this is a fun thread! I have been faithfully tracking the crochet and knit listings for months now and here Lydia is giving away all her secrets! (VBG). Funny thing is too that I was watching one of her auctions last week with the intent to buy but missed the close. So then it was relisted and again I was watching but it got away from me as there were more bidders this time. It's funny how it all pans out in the end isn't it?

Anyhow, I have been selling for about 4 weeks now and I have some questions and suggestions:

Jumping right to the suggestion part:

#1. As for removing musty order..never use a dryer sheet! These sheets have an oily residue and they will end up blotching and yellowing your pattern books. I like to throw one of those pot-pourri sachets into my storage boxes and I tend to hold onto the musty smelling books longer to allow them to air out in my well ventilated smoke free home.

#2. Page protector sheets...6 for a dollar? Try Costco. You will be pleasantly surprised by the value you get when buying 200 sheets for only $10. While you are there, check out the savings on envelopes too.

Now for my question:

I must admit I am petrified of having my items wind up damaged in the mail. I package super well...takes a lot of my time but am wondering if I am overdoing it. I always cut up a piece of cardboard the exact size of the book or pattern to put into the envelope, tape very well and write do not bend in big bold marker. The problem though is that the weight of the cardboard usually boosts my shipping up to the next weight level. I would appreciate some thoughts on this. I am one of those people that is going to have a serious meltdown the day I get my first neg feedback so where do I draw the line?
Message 58 of 219
latest reply

Hi - someone who loves cats and crafts 🐵

Thanks for the input about the oil residue on dryer sheets...I've had some sellers include a one inch strip in the envelope with a pattern book they've sent but the book was usually wrapped in tissue or plastic so no harm done there. I've never included the dryer sheet or used it because they are scented and sometimes the scent can be more of a problem with a buyer than the slight musty or smoky odor.

The page protectors with the 3 holes are something different from the rigid plastic folders I use for my pattern mags. The folders have no holes and are a heavier construction but I will check out my Costco to see if they have something similar for less.

I have a small diet scale (found for a dollar at a yard sale years ago) and it weighs pretty accurately. Before I list the shipping on an item I always put the item, with packaging, on a scale and if it's cutting it close to the max weight allowed I use the next rate in my description. If for some reason after packaging tape labels etc. it's still under I slip the overcharge inside before sealing but rarely does that happen.

The cardboard is a good idea and you can always use boxes from the grocery store - trim away all the sides and stack them for trimming to the package size later. That's not overpackaging - and I always write the Patterns - Please Do Not Bend - Thanks!! - on an envelope too as well as cover the addresses (mine and theirs) and the Do Not Bend part - with a piece of clear tape to prevent smudging.

I honestly think we should all start as sellers by having eBay give us a "complimentary negative" to just get that first fear over with so we can settle down to the 99.9% fun of selling on eBay.

Have a great weekend. Must have my morning coffee before I meltdown.

Lyd
Message 59 of 219
latest reply

I honestly think we should all start as sellers by having eBay give us a "complimentary negative" to just get that first fear over with so we can settle down to the 99.9% fun of selling on eBay.
Lydia
I know you were probably kidding but I think there is a lot of wisdom in that remark.
Message 60 of 219
latest reply