Will this limit my sales to the US only?

I set fixed prices for the shipping cost of my items, and have a half dozen business policies that cover the different items that I sell.  I have never limited the countries that I sell to before, but until the postal strike situation is settled I would like to sell only to the United States.  I've gone into Site Preferences>Shpping Preferences>Exclude shipping locations from your listings and set this so that everywhere but the United States is blocked. Will this cover things, or is there somewhere else I should be putting the same information?  I'm just a bit worried that because the business policies include a price for Canadian and International sales there might be a misunderstanding somewhere.  But I'd rather not change all the business policies to only include the US, just for ease of changing things back - having only once place to change will be much easier.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

If you want to exclude Canada as well as the rest of the world you have to list on dot com only.

This is only going to help you if you are shipping from a USA located post office. If that is what you are doing then why not ship to the other usual or select countries as well? USPS has tracking on everything and is way cheaper than Canada post to the same destinations = more sales = more money for you and happier customers.

This will not work for us on over 90% of our items which are cassette tapes and cd's that need to go Canada post lettermail. By the time we would pay $2.61 US for USPS media mail plus $5 CDN per item for the courier to the nearest USPS location (75 miles away) it would not be worth listing the items.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

If you want to exclude Canada, you will have to close all your listings on dotCA and then open them on dotCOM.

If you list on eBay Canada you have to ship to Canada.

BUT unless you have a way of getting your shipments to the USA promptly for shipping from the nearest border town, you still have a problem .

You may want to get in touch with ChitChat's Express, who are relatively near you. They have a good reputation with posters here for carrying eBay parcels across the border.

They charge for the service, of course.

They may also ship from the USA overseas, you'll have to ask them.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

See, I knew I wasn't thinking this through properly.  I was going to list on .ca because that's where I've got the most free listings.

I do use Chit Chat's , but their international is through Canada Post (at least the service I've been using). I don't sell much at all outside of US/Canada so I think it's just easier to put International sales on hold instead of trying to work out pricing for services I probably wouldn't end up needing anyway, if they have them at all.

I guess I'm stuck with a small number listed on .com until the strike is settled.

Thanks!! You saved me from a big mistake!

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Just in case anyone else could use the information, Chit Chats does have international shipping through DHL to many countries, some major destinations with tracking.

Message 5 of 5
latest reply