Words to add to the main forum spellcheck dictionary

It would save forum users the time to add then to their own dictionary using the Spell Check Learn option. eBay added some to the old forums when they were introduced. Maybe they will do again.

eBay

PayPal

eCommerce

SNAD (Significantly Not As Described)

INR (Item Not Received)

NWT (New With Tags)

NWOT (New Without Tags)

SYI (Sell Your Item)

FB (Feedback)

CP (Canada Post)

Lettermail

Letterpost

Xpresspost

Post any others you think of to add to the Spellcheck dictionary.

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Your list is a great start. I checked it, and the spell checker suggested EBay and Papal ....

I'd add relist (relisted, relisting).

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

@pocomocomputing wrote:

It would save forum users the time to add then to their own dictionary using the Spell Check Learn option. eBay added some to the old forums when they were introduced. Maybe they will do again.

eBay

PayPal

eCommerce

SNAD (Significantly Not As Described)

INR (Item Not Received)

NWT (New With Tags)

NWOT (New Without Tags)

SYI (Sell Your Item)

FB (Feedback)

CP (Canada Post)

Lettermail

Letterpost

Xpresspost

Post any others you think of to add to the Spellcheck dictionary.

Hi pocomocomputing,

Great suggestion - let me see if this is possible.

Thanks,

~Kalvin
eBay.ca Community Manager

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

A couple more words...

Firefox

MasterCard

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

I would suggest also that eBay at least make spell-checking semi-automatic like it currently is on US site (depensing on browser and OS)

It took nearly forever but at least for now on the US site I get misspelled words highlighted by a red underline (and it does "correctly" fix eBay as I type - W7, IE10)  There should be no need whatsoever to have to manually run spellcheck while posting.  (maybe you never had that feature here)

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

@fruitacres wrote:

I would suggest also that eBay at least make spell-checking semi-automatic like it currently is on US site (depensing on browser and OS)

It took nearly forever but at least for now on the US site I get misspelled words highlighted by a red underline (and it does "correctly" fix eBay as I type - W7, IE10)  There should be no need whatsoever to have to manually run spellcheck while posting.  (maybe you never had that feature here)

Spellcheck is a feature on FireFox and Internet Explorer browsers. Having the forums spellchack automatically would conflict with the browser feature. Probably would cause issues.

My suggestion was for those with older browsers

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

But my point being that spell check on the old LiveWorld (soon to be retired) works semi-automatically on IE10 running on Win7 but not on the .ca site.

Turning compatibility mode on or off makes no difference - at least on Lithium turning c.m. on does not prevent posting.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

@fruitacres wrote:

But my point being that spell check on the old LiveWorld (soon to be retired) works semi-automatically on IE10 running on Win7 but not on the .ca site.

I agree that allowing the browser spell check to underline spelling errors while typing is preferable... much better than having to click on the spell check button and then manually clicking through each word on list.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

In some replies, I can use the FireFox browser spellcheck. Sometimes I have to right click in the reply box and there is an option to turn on FireFox spellcheck. I use the FireFox spellcheck more often because it is easier to use.

I have been running the eBay one to learn how it works and build up the dictionary with my words.

Is there any option to edit my eBay custom dictionary? I have learned some misspelled words by mistake.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply