how long does a buyer haven to open a item not recieved case

Ok I need serious help/advice.

I am a Canadian Ebay user with 2008 with a one hundred percent feedback level which we work hard to maintain I sold a $5 item with free shipping to a Canadian Buyer on August 27,2013 i send the item the following day via Canadian Post Letter Mail August 28,2013 over a regular parcel mainly due to the fact i find that lettermail is faster than a parcel when sending within Canada and the ebay user resides within my same province bottomline the package should have been recieved within a couple days so i decided to take a chance without a tracking number as the item was sold for only $5.00.Here is What i find Suspect i send a email to the buyer reminding them to leave feedback on September 15,2013 which i will enclosed at the end of this message with no response and Today October 5,2013 over 20 days since i first send the message and 39 to 40 days since the buyer purshases the item he is claiming that he has not recieved the item.So the question i have is How long does a Buyer have to claim a Item Not Recieved Case?Any Help With this Matter Would Be Greatly Appeciated.

Best Regards,

Hope this message finds you doing well i just wanted to know if you were satisfied with the transaction we completed together recently,i was wondering if you would be able to please leave feedback for this transaction as i have already left feedback for you,once again thanking for choosing to do business with us and your welcome back anytime.

Best Regards,

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: how long does a buyer haven to open a item not recieved case

45 days with ebay and paypal

but if they paid with a credit card it could be quite a bit longer

as credit card companies have different policies

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

I do not have a tracking number for the package however i do have a picture of the package with the postage on it with the buyers address.
Message 2 of 5
latest reply

The Buyer Resuides in the same Province as me i could have literally have walked the item to his house!!!its that close would you risk negative feedback for $5.00?
Message 3 of 5
latest reply

45 days with ebay and paypal

but if they paid with a credit card it could be quite a bit longer

as credit card companies have different policies

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

If you sent that email asking about receipt of the item, you were foolish. If he were not unhappy before, he either is reminded that he didn't get the item (vanishingly rare but possible) or encouraged to get somethig free.

Just refund. You will be out the cost of shipping plus your eBay fees plus whatever you paid for the item -- the profit disappears.

At 17 cents a minute, Ontario minimum wage, how long do you want to spend thinking about a $5 sale?

I use Lettermail a lot. Instead of worrying about possible losses, even fraudulent ones, I add a few pennies to my asking price as a "self-insurance " premium. If I get a report of a problem, I cover my costs from that virtual fund. It doesn't happen often and half the time the buyer refunds my refund.

I sell books, dress patterns and discount mint postage, so my customers are a pretty honest bunch who actually read. Your mileage may differ. I would have a different opinion if I sold something volatile like sportscards, dolls or horse tack.

Message 5 of 5
latest reply