new vintage store recieveing no interest

ellebellavintage
Community Member

Hey all,

I just opened my ebay shop on friday and listed what I thought were some nice items.  The process has been completely confusing because I was supposed to be allowed 50 free listings but have actually only been allotted 10. I'm worried my page looks unprofessional as I don't yet qualify for a basic shop.   I'm worried because no one is showing interest in my items, someone is watching one item and that is it. 

Are there any vintage sellers out there who could take a look at my shop and tell my as a vintage seller starting out, what I can do to improve?

I have been selling on etsy for two years and have 100% positive feedback on over 400 transactions so its weird to be starting again from the ground up.

Thanks in advance 

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

If your dresses have known labels indicating they should be int the title.

You seem to have a couple of Rockabilly dresses and Hippie pieces listed.

By all means put those words prominently in the titles.

Your stuff is displayed well, and if you get the right person it could sell......... but selling used no-name dresses for $60 could prove to be a challenge.

Good Luck.

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

P.S.:  Is it easier selling your items on Etsy?

Just Curious.

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

You do have to have patience when starting out on eBay.  Don't expect that first sale in your first couple of weeks.  It can take several months to get firmly established. 

For vintage clothing, you'll find that the majority of your buyers will be Americans.  As a Canadian seller, you already have some disadvantages vis-a-vis U.S. sellers -- higher shipping costs, customs/border delays, and the fact that there is already such a huge availability of vintage garments from U.S. sellers at frankly really good prices.  Also, all things being equal, I think a U.S. buyer would rather buy from a U.S. seller, or at least from a seller who has accumulated a considerable number of feedback points.  Many people are reluctant to make a purchase from a seller with 0 or very little feedback.

That being said, there are things you can do to move the process along:

a)  Buy a few inexpensive items off eBay to build up your FB score quickly;  

b)  Have a larger selection of items to offer, in various prices, preferably the lower range to start out, and preferably items that don't require expensive shipping options;

c)  Try offering free shipping on some of the lighter, less pricey items;

d)  Consider making your listing descriptions a bit more expansive and enticing.  Although point-form bits of basic detail is fine for some types of items, with vintage clothing, it's all about excitement and attractiveness.    

I don't know why you're not getting the 50 free listings.  Some other seller may be able to answer that.  Since I have a store, I have a different listing platform.

Good luck!

P.S.  How did you like selling on Etsy?  It sounds as if it worked well for you.  EBay can be a challenge in some categories.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

eBay has always had some limits for new sellers:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/sellinglimits.html 

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

Once you've been a seller for more than 90 days, confirmed your personal information, have sold multiple items in the category you want to list in, and have a proven track record of providing excellent customer service and following our rules and policies, these specific category limits will be removed. Other limits may still apply. Si... 

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

You have some lovely things (and a pretty model) and I wish you well.  I know it's disappointing but really not unusual to have a limited number of viewers for the 10 items you've listed, especially in only 3 or 4 days time.  On eBay.ca alone, there are over a million listings for vintage items and 200,000 for women's vintage clothing.  Just be patient and keep re-listing.

I would recommend that you try to make your titles stand out more.  First of all, I would make the word Vintage the first word of the title.  When people are searching, they're more likely to look for Vintage than they are for terms like 80's or 70's, etc.  And with mobile devices and their limited viewing capacity, the word Vintage at the end of your title won't even show up.  Also use more capital letters.  You've described the items well but perhaps you could use a colored font -- maybe center the description -- just to make it a little more attractive.

Good luck to you!  I'll be watching your listings.  I wish now that I had hung on to a lot of the clothes I gave away since retro is so fashionable now 🙂

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Where can I find your listings?

I don't think ebay is a fast way to make money...  It's also difficult to sell in the beginning period.  Calm down, search more suitable items for sale.  I'm doing that now.

Good luck!

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

Don't see any listings under this ID

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Maybe she got discouraged and went back to Etsy.  She really did have some nice things.

Message 10 of 10
latest reply