question regarding buyer

Buyer bid and won two items they decided they dont want the item(s) because they didnt realise I was from Canada?

I dont want to lose seller fees so I opened unpaid item hoping to get seller fees back is this the right process?

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

question regarding buyer

It will work but your "buyer" may not be very happy with your approach, although it was his mistake not to read the listings properly. 

A better solution would have been to offer the buyer to cancel the transactions.

Either way you get your FVF refunded.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/buy/questions/unwanted-item.html 

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

question regarding buyer

I have to disagree.

If the buyer declines the utual cancellation, you're out of luck.

This way, they pay or they get the strike.

I always block the buyer as well, since they're not going to be dealing with me again.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. Carl Sagan
Message 3 of 13
latest reply

question regarding buyer

I find the majority of times, I'm in a lose lose situation. When a buyer decide not to pay, most time they refuse to agree to the cancellation then I lose my FVF. When I open a dispute, some of them wont pay, a lot of them do pay only to retaliate with item not received when shipping letter mail or not as described with a tracking # then issue a neg.

Buyers have found a new way to prevent sellers from appealing a buyers successful claim. I had one instance where my honesty cost me an appeal.

EBay as not caugh on with it, they are capable to study the pattern and make the correction to the loophole. They need to find a way to protect sellers.

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

question regarding buyer

@surplusdealdude wrote:

I have to disagree.

If the buyer declines the utual cancellation, you're out of luck.

This way, they pay or they get the strike.

I always block the buyer as well, since they're not going to be dealing with me again.

If the buyer is the one who iniated the cancellation which is what happened in this case, it's very unlikely that they are going to decline the cancellation request. In a situation like that I do make sure that they know agreeing to the mutual will not affect their account.

If you file for an unpaid item the buyer may feel forced to pay and I would rather they don't pay if they don't want the item.

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

question regarding buyer

Buyers cannot initiate cancellations.

And a buyer asking you to cancel, then refusing to "sign the form", so to speak, is commonplace.  It's a guaranteed out for the buyer, since the seller is then prevented from filing a UID.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. Carl Sagan
Message 6 of 13
latest reply

question regarding buyer

Most time, best practice is to open a UID. You have a better chance of success.

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

question regarding buyer

And a buyer asking you to cancel, then refusing to "sign the form", so to speak, is commonplace.  It's a guaranteed out for the buyer, since the seller is then prevented from filing a UID.

If the buyer does not "sign the form" the transaction is cancelled after a few days of sitting. Both can leave feedback. The seller's fees are refunded.

The problem arises when the buyer refuses the Mutual Cancellation. Which is why, if the seller has any inkling that the buyer might be difficult, she should go for the UID.

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

question regarding buyer

Previous post is threading, all that he posted has already been mentioned.

Please bring something new to the table.

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

question regarding buyer

@surplusdealdude wrote:

Buyers cannot initiate cancellations.

Initiate is to cause or to facilite the beginning of....so yes, a buyer can initiate a cancellation.

In the last 6 years I have had one person decline a cancellation so I don't see it as being commonplace. As far as a buyer neither agreeing or disagreeing to the cancellation, that does happen but as Femme pointed out, the cancellation can be closed in 7 days and the seller still gets their fees back.

Once a mutual cancellation has been started the seller can not file a UID anyway so the buyer has nothing to lose by agreeing to the mutual. Obviously there are cases when the buyer is po'd at the seller and declines the cancellation but I don't see that as being the norm.

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

question regarding buyer

@angus_coin_shop wrote:

Previous post is threading, all that he posted has already been mentioned.

Please bring something new to the table.

Everyone is entitled to state their opinion even if similar opinions have been posted. That's what discussion boards are for.

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

question regarding buyer

tobyshitzu
Community Member

If the buyer is asking to cancel I'd rather risk the mutual cancel being declined (which is really just a risk of having to endure a phone call to ebays call center to get the fees back anyway) then risk the buyer not understanding the strike is meaningless and paying, only to cause problems after

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

question regarding buyer

This is what happened once: buyer made a purchase and sits there all quiet and unresponsive, with some purchase activity history. I sent mutual cancelation request, no response. After 7 days I closed cancelation case myself, got ebay fee back, and after just a few days received Neutral Feedback stating "great value".

If there is no response or I have a bad feeling about a certain buyer, I would always file Unpaid Item Dispute, not to cause trouble but to avoid the above, and looks like it works.

Message 13 of 13
latest reply