re shipping and handling fees

anbrag1
Community Member

Im a first time buyer at ebay. As i was placing my 5 items into my cart,I noticed,that shipping and handling fees,of approx,$11.?? per item, was being charged to my bill. So far, $55.00 aprox,just in S+H costs. The part that im having difficulty understanding, is that i bought ALL 5 ITEMS from the SAME seller and SAME STORE. Its like i bought all 5 items from the SAME Eatons store and Same Eatons branch ,to use as an example,so to speak.Is this normal practice at ebay?.All items are the same but different sizes. Presently,i am having second thoughts as to following thru with this order. and,wondering, if i should should pull out and go with amazon instead. As of yet, i have had no negative issues,but positive ones from amazon. Just needed to vent and wonder if this is normal practice that each item in cart be billed individually S+H costs,specially when all items were bought at the same store and at same occasion. Really would like to have some feedback on this. Is this normal? Will ebay make price adjustments on this? What should i expect? Would love to hear what others have to say.

Ana B.

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Contact the seller and ask if they will combine the shipping for multiple items, and indicate what you are interested in. Some will, some won't.

On eBay automatic combined shipping is only easy for a seller to set up if it is for the same item.

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

As has been answered by the previous poster, you really must contact the seller in question and ask them to provide you with a combined postage quote. Depending on the exact items and your location, the actual shipping cost may be $11 or it really could cost $55 depending on weight, size, and distance of journey. Only the seller can tell you; ebay allows sellers to set their shipping and handling costs, and usually does not get involved in disputes over handling fees added to shipping costs. Combined postage rules can be complicated to set up for the casual seller; does the listing say to contact for a combined postage quote? Some do it like that. 

You will find Contact seller buttons at the bottom of each listing. 

Tell them where you live and provide the item numbers or titles of what you have in your cart and ask them to confirm the shipping cost for you. 

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

Ahh, Eaton's. I still have a favourite coat I bought at the Eaton Centre during the Final Bankruptcy sale.

Just needed to vent and wonder if this is normal practice that each item in cart be billed individually S+H costs,specially when all items were bought at the same store and at same occasion.

Did the items have this note on the listings?

Customs services and international tracking provided

If so, your seller is using the Global Shipping Program (from the USA or UK) and she CANNOT combine shipping. This is yet another bad design in a badly designed program, which is meant only to benefit Sellers.

Is your seller in Asia?

He may be making his money on the shipping rather than the selling price.

This is sneaky, but is allowed. The seller pays fees on both the selling and asking price so this is a merchandising plan rather than technically a scam.

While most sellers will combine shipping on multiple orders, this is not a requirement.

Actually my first thought on reading that this was the same item in different sizes, I was wondering if you were just not sure what size you needed and the seller is expecting complicated returns and is charging for that 'handling'.

My second was bridesmaid dresses.

Contact the seller and ask her for a reduction. She is not required to agree. (She may not be able to agree.) This really should be done BEFORE bidding, but you are new to online shopping.

If you have to do returns, you must use (expensive) tracked shipping, so it is best to ask questions before bidding.

And you have two points at which you are given costs. At each you have to click to agree. If you don't click, the transaction ends.

Message 4 of 4
latest reply