Listing as pre-owned gives the right to not mention stains?

As I posted a few days back I had several sellers back out of sales because they noticed the items were stained. Fair enough. Now I've had three other items show up to my home that were stained all over. I contacted the sellers and they said that they said the items were previously used so I should have assumed they were not like new. But not like new is different from stained. What should I do in this situation?

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Any flaws in the material should be noted in the description including stains.Pre-owned is not an excuse. I mention any flaws in my descriptions.

Keep in mind a stain could be missed but you have mentioned there were stains all over.

Definitely the Item is Not As Described. Unfortunately for you to receive a refund you would have to return the item with Tracking.

See if you can work it out with the buyer, if not you can still leave honest Feedback & DSRs.

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

Pre-owned is a term used by thieves and scammers'

The correct description is used !

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

This is what one seller said back, there was no mention about it being a charity in the ad so now I feel bad. 

So sorry about this. This is a charity for women and children in transition. A lot of the young women work here while staying.The turnover is huge,and mistakes are made.

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

Pre-owned is a term used by thieves and scammers'

The correct description is used !

Then you are calling ebay staff thieves and scammers.

"Pre-Owned" is an ebay sub-category under another ebay category called "Condtion".

Pre-owned is a more 'politically correct' term commonly used by most retailers of used clothing, online and offline.  The term did not originate with ebay or its sellers.

I recommend to the OP that you take the advice offered by bb_cool_stuff.

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

This is what one seller said back, there was no mention about it being a charity in the ad so now I feel bad. 

So sorry about this. This is a charity for women and children in transition. A lot of the young women work here while staying.The turnover is huge,and mistakes are made.

I would not accept that as an excuse.  If there is no mention in the listing that it involves a charity then it probably is not affilated with one.  The seller could be playing on your sympathy. 

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

All problems with an item, especially clothes, should be stated in the auction. Listing something, and picturing it so that stains do not show in the picture is dishonest. Before you buy something like this again, make sure that you ask questions through eBay so that if you are lied too , you will have some evidence when you file a case. You will still have to return the item with tracking, so it might be better to buy used clothing at your local thrift shop where you can examine the items before you buy.

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

pre-ownedbrands
Community Member

I guess I have stole and scammed for over 500 positive feedbacks.]:)

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

I opened a dispute on paypal for one of the items that was not as described and the seller sent me an angry message saying that she would have refunded me once I sent the item back and said I had no right to open a case with paypal. I thought opening a case with paypal was a way to make sure that I would get my refund.. not to just send the item back and hope I see my money. Was I in the wrong?

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

hotpink........

Have you ever gone to the US discussion boards and followed a thread where sellers discuss how to sell vintage and/or used clothing?

There are ongoing debates about how to deal with cleaning or washing these items.

IMO used clothing must be one of the most difficult items to list.

For example.............. one person's little dit on the fabric is another person's intolerable stain.

Would washing these items get the stains out?

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

A lot of sellers state "ask questions before bidding".  I have a similar first line on all my listing along with "Paypal Only" 

If the seller does not describe defects such as creases, stains, fading colours, reproductions then I feel the seller is hoping the buyer doesn't want to complain.

If someone lists an item with "as is" a buyer needs to ask questions.  

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

I opened a dispute on paypal for one of the items that was not as described and the seller sent me an angry message saying that she would have refunded me once I sent the item back and said I had no right to open a case with paypal. I thought opening a case with paypal was a way to make sure that I would get my refund.. not to just send the item back and hope I see my money. Was I in the wrong?

Did you contact the seller before you opened a dispute to see if you could work things out?  That is the proper thing to do on ebay.  If you are NOT able to resolve the issue that way then you have every right to open a dispute.  That is why they have a dispute process.

Sometimes sellers will require that you return the item before they will issue a refund.  The return postage is usually your reponsibility although most sellers, not all, will refund the return postage if they deem it to be their fault.  You do run the risk that the seller will claim they did not receive it back.  They may also ask you to send pictures of the item instead of returning it and base their decision on the photos.

If you go through the dispute process, ebay will require you to return the item with tracking (which is more expensive) and you will have to pay the return postage.  It does guarantee that you will win the dispute if you have delivery confirmation.  Depending on what you paid for the item, it may be cheaper to work it out with the seller and ship it with no tracking.

For future purchases of this kind, keep these things in mind before you buy.  Will it be worth it to you to return it if is not as described? 

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

With Tracking, by the way, would mean Expedited Parcel. Try buying the shipping label through Paypal, eBay sellers get a substantial discount from PO counter prices for this service.

It is Delivery Confirmed, which is all that Paypal wants for purchases under $250.

Cross check the cost for using the new Tracked Parcel service. It is probably more expensive depending on destination and measurements.

Message 13 of 13
latest reply