PB Uses the USPS to get Items to the Canadian Border. This is (Possibly) the Problem!

I just discovered that Pitney Bowes is using the USPS to get my item to the border. This must be the weak link we are all looking for. It makes total sense now.

Message 1 of 20
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

PB Uses the USPS to get Items to the Canadian Border. This is (Possibly) the Problem!

For 💩 and giggles, I just plugged into the USPS tracker, a couple of fabricated (bogus) UPA numbers, It generated a false positive. I'm now pretty now that this can't be tracking these numbers (as was suggested) legitimately. So much for narrowing down where the holdups at the USA GSC are occurring. Sorry, I thought I was onto something.

ie, try this bogus number UPADD000000999909999

View solution in original post

Message 12 of 20
latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

"It will be available when the shipper provides an update or the package is delivered to USPS."

Then again, maybe it's not the USPS's fault. But it could also be due to customs clearance issues also. They're probably super backlogged
Message 2 of 20
latest reply

they have been using USPS since the beginning of the program, and it has always been a mess, so No, nothing has changed other, than the usps is in worse shape than it was a year ago..  The problem (s) right now, are more people are buying things online, and items have to go to Pitney B owes for processing, so that alone can add an extra 10 days to your shipping, then with the poor condition usps is in, it can add another XX number of days to your delivery..

Message 3 of 20
latest reply

Well, that's kind of what I figured also. But someone doubted that they used it, and to tell you the truth, I never actually investigated it until I just plugged the UPAAD0000000 number into the USPS tracking and it came back as positive. But it still looks like there is a gap between PB and the USPS for where the item is (all my items) at the moment.....ie stuck in customs? Probably.

Message 4 of 20
latest reply

i believe the gap in time, is just the poor job they are doing in scanning labels.. and that is happening in all of North America.. I had one item about  week ago, scanned at postal office in Usa, then a week later it was being delivered to me, with no updates in between..

Message 5 of 20
latest reply

I don't think that PB has ever used USPS for the gsp.  The seller would be sending it to Erlanger using USPS and from there the gsp generally uses a different carrier to the gsp center in Canada.

Message 6 of 20
latest reply

Obviously you didn't see my posted file showing that they actually do use the USPS, from the US GSP to the border, from which, the CP would do the rest.
Message 7 of 20
latest reply

But you have to realize that people are complaining, myself included, that there are items, like the attached file of the USPS tracking, that are still waiting for the shipper (PB) to hand the item over to the USPS, for the second leg of the journey, from the US GSP to the border, and are still listed as last scanned up to 20+ days ago. What has been bad, is right now, exponentially worse.

Message 8 of 20
latest reply

A UPAA number is not a USPS tracking number.

You’re best using a UPAA tracking code on PitneyBowes’ tracking page. If the item has been handed off to USPS or another carrier, there should be a link by the item’s “progress meter” to click that will take you to that carrier’s website and the carrier’s tracking code.

Just for 💩 and giggles, what happens when you plug that code into the Canada Post website’s tracking tool?
Message 9 of 20
latest reply

I just plugger the UPAAD000000 number into the USPS tracking and it comes up as ligit.

It does not work for the CP, YET! maybe it will once the USPS actually get it, or that it crosses over into CP hands.

Message 10 of 20
latest reply

https://tools.usps.com/go

"Tracking Number: UPAAD000000XXX....
Status
Label Created, not yet in system
A status update is not yet available on your package. It will be available when the shipper provides an update or the package is delivered to USPS. Check back soon.

Sign up for Informed Delivery® to receive notifications for packages addressed to you.

Label Created, not yet in system"

Message 11 of 20
latest reply

For 💩 and giggles, I just plugged into the USPS tracker, a couple of fabricated (bogus) UPA numbers, It generated a false positive. I'm now pretty now that this can't be tracking these numbers (as was suggested) legitimately. So much for narrowing down where the holdups at the USA GSC are occurring. Sorry, I thought I was onto something.

ie, try this bogus number UPADD000000999909999

Message 12 of 20
latest reply

I think the delays are simply the result of the Global Shipping Center having to deal with an unexpected surge in volume of packages destined for about 100 different countries.

Items are waiting longer to be processed after having been received by the GSC, and then they may have to wait longer for space on the freight truck to Canada. Then they may have to wait longer to be scanned into Canada Post’s database and . . . you, get the idea.
Message 13 of 20
latest reply

I'm not sure eBay would ever consider creating a few more GSP centers across the U.S. but it probably sure would help. West, central, east, and south.... etc, to reduce the congestion. OR depending on where the greatest volume leaves the NA region. I'm sure it's a bottleneck having one GSC.
Message 14 of 20
latest reply

Since the GSP plant is Pitney Bowes, and they are a mega-corporation, you'd think they are doing well enough out of eBay to make your dreams come true.

Pick a town with decent transportation infrastructure and high unemployment and tell the city fathers to build it for you with taxpayer dollars.

That's the AZ system right?

Actually that seems to be how most companies work and have for 50 years. I recall the shock when the Township of Etobicoke (now amalgamated into Toronto) came to the end of 25 year tax holiday for some industrial plants and they all up and left town.

Message 15 of 20
latest reply

The Global Shipping Center—surprise, surprise—is yet another component of the Global Shipping Program that is contracted out.

https://www.areadevelopment.com/newsitems/7-3-2012/elovations-services-group-erlanger-ky-255226.shtm...

Remember that old comic strip (I think it ran in the Vancouver Sun) “Kerry Drake”? The GSP makes me think of that. Alfred Andriola got credit for the strip for decades despite it being the work of his assistants.
Message 16 of 20
latest reply

Don't forget that  GSP items stil  go through Canada customs when  they reach Canada.   That adds a little  (lot)  more time.

Message 17 of 20
latest reply

In fairness, @nuvisitors, while GSP-forwarded items still have to be checked through customs, the pre-clearance process in Erlanger theoretically reduces the time CBSA needs to spend on the shipment.
Message 18 of 20
latest reply

Shipments from some US companies are delivered directly to the buyer without going through customs. The company  collects the   GST and duty (if any)  and  the item  bypasses customs.

Digikey . Newark  and Mcmaster-Carr  are three     well known companies that do this.

Since PB also collects GST and duty  one would assume  they could do the same thing.

Message 19 of 20
latest reply

Pitney Bowes (or a contracted agent) actually pays the taxes and duty owing on a GSP shipment. The “import charges” are a repayment to Pitney Bowes, and then some.

Most GSP forwarded items travel as freight from Kentucky to Mississauga. I suspect the wait at customs is minimal and dependent more on traffic volumes than anything to do with the rubber-stamping process.
Message 20 of 20
latest reply