seller changed listing after I ordered what the listing originally was, sent the changed item

prime_8
Community Member

seller changed listing after I ordered what the listing originally was, sent the changed item 

simply put, they listed an item, sold it or better put I bought 1. while I was waiting for it to arrive they changed the listing completely only keeping the item number. and sent me what they changed it to. and its nothing close to what I wanted. 

now they say they will only do a 0.50cet  partial refund so that I don't have to send the wrong item back?  so, in essence, they get to force sell the wrong item, know ing the return postage for us is not subsidised like it is for them? 

This appears to be a scam to move dead inventory. 

What is eBay policy on changing a listing after purchase and shipping the new & wrong thing in place of what you actually originally ordered? 

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

In addition to eBay's Resolution Centre you are also covered by Paypal and by the chargeback policy of the card you back your PP account with.

BTW- the first suggestion from eBay and PP is to Contact the Seller, but you have already done that, so just ask eBay/PP to step in and escalate to a Claim.

And as mjwl says- you only want your money back and do NOT close the Claim until you have it.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Ebay holds a record of the item you actually purchased regardless of what the seller did with their listings afterwards. 

Open an Item Not as Described case using ebay's MoneyBack Guarantee.

The seller will be obligated to send you either a return postage label or the funds to purchase one. 

Follow ebay's instructions and DO NOT accept an offer of replacement. Unless it is a seller that you already know and trust and you will have that item with tracking within ten days or less, it's likely to end badly for you if you allow a replacement to be sent instead of a refund.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

In addition to eBay's Resolution Centre you are also covered by Paypal and by the chargeback policy of the card you back your PP account with.

BTW- the first suggestion from eBay and PP is to Contact the Seller, but you have already done that, so just ask eBay/PP to step in and escalate to a Claim.

And as mjwl says- you only want your money back and do NOT close the Claim until you have it.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Fifty cents?

Is that a planned insult or half the cost of the item?

If it is half your payment of a loonie, accept it and leave 'appropriate' Feedback

The most effective feedback is calm and factual.

"Sent wrong item offered 50cent refund for their error" for example.

If it is a planned insult (50 cents off a $10 item), go for the Money Back Guarantee and a Not As Described dispute.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

thanks, guys all suggestions make sense. given item cost is 2USD, and I can see the seller has about 100 negative feedbacks along the same lines or so this month I doubt they will do anything themselves. I sent the seller a new message telling them the full refund as it was their mistake, not mine, and if they must have the wrong item back, they can send paid label or correct cost of proper postage back. ( cost of postage back is about 5x the item was sold at . )

If they don't respond as they should I can then involve eBay knowing I gave the seller every opportunity.
I'm not gonna worry over 2USD, but it seems they have done exact same to other sellers.

I think it gets under my skin having worked retail for more than 12yrs, in a place where you ship something wrong it is totally your responsibility, not even a question.

again thanks guys
Message 5 of 5
latest reply