What Was Your Favorite Toy as a Child (or a big Kid) ?

I am one of these folks that don't have memories of my childhood before 10 or 11 years old.   They just aren't there. Most of what I know I have been told

Still had lots of toys. watching old home movies of Christmas the Christmas Tree was surrounded by them   (wish I had them now)

I'm sure that's why I became a Old Toy Dealer to live my childhood and toys now

One of my all time favorite toys was a Battery Operated Robot (circa 1957) Called Mechanized Robot  or Robbie the Robot). Robby was introduced in the Movie Forbidden Planet.   The toy Robot came out at the same time.  It was not produced for the movie but the similarities were so similar it became associated with it

I have owned two of them and still kick myself for not keeping one

I was over the moon when I got my First One. Worked perfectly.  Got home and of course put the batteries in and watched it move across the living room floor

I had a big lovable Mutt named Shay. I was not the only one fascinated by it.   Shay came running grabbed the robot in her mouth and ran off with it!  The chase was on!  Finally she dropped it I examined it and no damage.  Course lost the dog for awhile she knew not to come near me for awhile.   Have no idea where she went we were indoors and she weighed about 80 lbs, Could not find her after until she reappeared

what was your favorite toy?

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

An HO gauge Hornby train set. 

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

mcrlmn
Community Member

Johnny Seven O.M.A. (One Man Army)

11.jpg

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

tyler@ebay
Community Member

This is such a fun question!

I think it would have to be a playmobil set I got that was just the coolest. Hours of fun. And wouldn't you know it when I googled it for the photo lo and behold a seller in the UK has the entire set!

Must resist the urge to relive my youth.. 😉

Playmobil.JPG

Tyler,
eBay
Message 4 of 13
latest reply

Johnny Seven is one of the most iconic plastic 60's toys. What boy (and some girls would not want to not have that) Hours of fun and at times some sore spots if the bullets hit one. They could cause some discomfort.

up until the mid 60's toy manufacturers really did not take safety into account

as an example I bought 2 children's chemistry sets once from the mid 1920's

First thing I had to do  was get rid of 2 viles included in the set. One was **bleep**nic, can't remember the other one  but it was highly restrictive.  Lots of fun for youngsters

Before putting it out for sale I checked with the police to see if I could sell them. They said I could as long as the were kept in a locked case and stating for display purposes only

A guy who who was a chemist came in the store and looked at them. Told me he could easily blow up half the block with the contents

I withdrew them for sale after that.  A friend purchased them So far so good he is still around 

I have had Johnny Seven once in the box with all the parts

When I had it I was at the store one day (we had 2 buildings a A Frame and a Warehouse) testing it out,  The Warden of our County was a customer. Talking to one of my partners I by mistake pressed the trigger and it shot by Gary's Head just brushing his ear.   Gary never figured out that happened he thought it was a fly or insect and waved his hand around his ear. My friend went white thinking if it had hit our property taxes would have raised incredibly 

I was banned from the warehouse with it Had to use it outside *blush

weavers/rcrawford34

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

hmm did not expect ebay's bots to block and change  ***bleep** nic.  I promise you it was not a dirty word

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

I still have my 60+ year old Hornby Dublo 3 track locomotives and tracks, but unfortunately all the Pullman cars, etc are long gone.

Not at the top of the list, but close.

I see listings of the missing items on eBay, and have thought to piece it all back together.

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

Rcrawford34  it took me a while to figure out what the "bleep nic" substance was.

I realize now it is the same substance that features in the title of this movie.

eBay doesn't like words that sound like a British expression for Donkeys 

For the same reason I am unable to use the name of a soccer team that is based at the Emirate Stadium in London. 

8vzxa.jpg

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

Unfortunately I have no train sets anymore. 

The Hornby was my one and only obtained for my 12th birthday.

We never had sufficient space for a big layout.

Before the train set when I was much younger my favorite toys would have been 

Disneykins disneykins.jpg

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

one of the few trains I remember having as a child was a Lionel Train set.  Used it til I was about 12 or 13 years old.   When I moved form home  I went back a few months later went to get the train set. It was gone!   My Mother had given it to a friend of hers family. :>0

Shaking head:  Mothers

Got a lot of mileage over that over the years.  My Mom has now passed but about 10 years ago asked my Mom if she still knew the people she had given the train to. She replied Yes. I told her to go get it back

My Mom actually gave me a swat!  then chuckled

A number of years ago I put on a Antique and Vintage Toy display at our Museum . Used their collection some of my Toys and borrowed other Collections.   I had a extensive train display with it mostly Lionel but also had American Flyer  Marx Bing Hornby etc  

We contacted Neil Young to see if he could attend it  but was not able to.  He is in and out of this area from time to to time having lived in Omemee ("there's a town in North Ontario) as a young child . His Dad lived there til he passed. Young along with a few others owned Lionel at that point. He and his sons were  collectors of Lionel Trains

How great is that ?   Not only have the collection of a major toy company but own it too

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

@mcrlmn wrote:

Johnny Seven O.M.A. (One Man Army)

11.jpg

I believe Jeff Dunham was showing off one of these in his videos.

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

The G.I. Joe Command Center. 

I was a serious G.I. Joe figure collector at the time and my parents got this for me for Christmas.

It wasn't until my adult years that I truly appreciated what they went through to get it. We were a lower income family that sometimes needed the help of food banks.

As a kid I displayed the tendancies of an adult toy collector and used the Command Center more for displaying my collection than playing. I set them up in poses or performing different tasks and let them be.

I eventually amassed over 100 figures but they disappeared after the 3 kids my mom babysat got into  them and flushed them one by one down the toilet. I arrived home to see the last one disappear down the pipe.

Perhaps one day I'll get myself a cabinet and collect the figures again.

gi-joe-headquarters-command-center_1_1f6cf9fb184298a98cdeab7660236c70.jpg

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

-----------------------------------------
Help us keep the community friendly and fun for everyone, check out the Guidelines
Message 13 of 13
latest reply