Has Anyone received the communication for GST/HST and QST-registered sellers?

As per below, the message I received from ebay. Its almost the end of june and i have not received any forms to fill out, as i am registered to collect taxes.....anyone else in the same boat?

Effective July 1, 2022, for all sales of tangible goods sold within Canada, eBay will be collecting the Canadian sales taxes (GST/HST/QST/ PST) from Canada-based buyers on behalf of Canada-based sellers (irrespective of registration status) and remitting the tax to the appropriate tax authorities.

For GST/HST and/or QST registered sellers, eBay will be appointed as a billing agent for collection and remittance of Canadian sales taxes where the sales tax laws do not automatically require it. As such, eBay will require completion of billing agent authorization forms. A separate communication for GST/HST and QST-registered sellers will be forthcoming.

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

marnotom!
Community Member

You may find this thread helpful.  Message 3 has a link to the form:

https://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Central/eBay-will-start-collecting-taxes-on-our-behalf-effective...

The hypothesis that has been brought to this discussion board is that sellers who have been using tax tables to charge and collect taxes from their buyers are more likely to get an email with the form than those who have been simply deducting them from their sales income.  I suggest you also have a look through some of the other threads on this discussion board as you may find some questions answered that you didn't realize that you had.

Good luck!

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

@clarksportscards_on_ig wrote:

As per below, the message I received from ebay. Its almost the end of june and i have not received any forms to fill out, as i am registered to collect taxes.....anyone else in the same boat?

Effective July 1, 2022, for all sales of tangible goods sold within Canada, eBay will be collecting the Canadian sales taxes (GST/HST/QST/ PST) from Canada-based buyers on behalf of Canada-based sellers (irrespective of registration status) and remitting the tax to the appropriate tax authorities.

For GST/HST and/or QST registered sellers, eBay will be appointed as a billing agent for collection and remittance of Canadian sales taxes where the sales tax laws do not automatically require it. As such, eBay will require completion of billing agent authorization forms. A separate communication for GST/HST and QST-registered sellers will be forthcoming.

Hey @clarksportscards_on_ig! I can take a look and see if I can reach out to the correct team to have something sent out to you!

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Thanks Sir. That would be very helpful!

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

Is the link that @regs43 provided in the thread I referenced not working for you?

https://ir.ebaystatic.com/cr/v/c1/ca/pdf/Billing_Agent_Election_-_GST_HST_&_QST.pdf

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

Thank you! Just spent 45 minutes in a support chat with 4 agents that had no clue what I was referring to. 

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Hello! You can visit this post we've created with links to access the forms. It includes the email address to submit them to as well. We hope this helps! 

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

velvet@ebay wrote:

Hello! You can visit this post we've created with links to access the forms. It includes the email address to submit them to as well. We hope this helps! 

Hello Velvet,

The running question that has been unanswered is will there be an acknowledgement from eBay once the form has been received and all is in order? Standard practice when submitting personal information of this nature.

-Lotzofuniquegoodies

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

This new policy change came as a shock to me. As far as I know, used goods do not get taxed. So why then is Ebay collecting tax for used goods?

There was no indication of this during the auction process. They update the actual auction cost for import charges. Why not for taxes?

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

@zippyfanny wrote:

This new policy change came as a shock to me. As far as I know, used goods do not get taxed. So why then is Ebay collecting tax for used goods?

Because the federal and provincial governments have told eBay and other online marketplace facilitators that it must do so.

https://community.ebay.ca/t5/Announcements/Update-from-eBay-Canada-and-collecting-Canadian-sales-tax...

I'm assuming you're wrtiing from a buyer's perspective rather than a seller's perspective.

Sales of used items are just as subject to taxes as sales of the same item in "new" condition.  Automobiles are a good example of this.  There aren't too many items out there that are considered "zero-rated" for taxes.  It's more the venue that determines whether or not a used item is taxed or not.  In my province (British Columbia), used items sold at thrift stores operated by charities are not subject to GST but they're still subject to PST.  You generally don't pay taxes on sales made at a garage sale because whoever's in charge of the sale isn't usually registered to collect and remit GST/HST or PST.

@zippyfanny wrote

There was no indication of this during the auction process. They update the actual auction cost for import charges. Why not for taxes?

"Import charges" are more than just taxes and they tend to trip up a lot of buyers unaccustomed to purchasing from out of the country, I suppose.  When it comes to domestic sales, most retailers--be they brick and mortar or online--don't display taxes along with the selling price.  Consumers are expected to have some knowledge on how taxes get applied to the items they purchase.

Message 10 of 10
latest reply