February 2 2022 Weekly Session

tyler@ebay
Community Member

Hi everyone - 

Opening the chat for your questions. I'll begin working on replies tomorrow afternoon. 

See you then!

Tyler

Tyler,
eBay
Message 1 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

wakeel
Community Member

Hello tyler@ebay 

I am hoping you can help me with my seller account issue because I have tried everything and have had no luck.  my seller account was restricted on November 29th without any warning emails or explanation other than that it was linked to another account. I called in to customer service and they couldn't tell me anything and offered no help and how to fix the issue. I was told a supervisor would call me but nobody did.  I have been on ebay for 20 years without any bad feedback or any issues and a perfect record. The other account that mine is somehow linked to  belongs to my brother but  he and I don't share anything other than that we are related.  He has contacted ebay as well to resolve the issue but he hasn't had any luck either.  No reason was provided as to why the account was restricted or how to resolve the issue.  I have been trying for 2 months now to speak to someone who can help me get my seller account reactivated but have had no success.  I have contacted customer service and they tell me they can't do anything or provide any info until the issue with the other account is resolved and when he calls they tell him the same thing that they can't do anything and say that a ticket has been opened but then no reply.  I would appreciate any help you can provide.  

thank you so  much.  

ebay member wakeel

Message 2 of 18
latest reply

Hi Tyler, i am still stuck on the "Update your account details" SIN number page. Tried several MP experts with the same result. No SIN---No play on Ebay.  Some help would be appreciated.   Cheers...

Message 3 of 18
latest reply

Hi Tyler,

Thanks for taking my question. 

eBay recommends sellers sell internationally. Since 2013  ITWM has done that even though our competitors are in the USA and Asia and they benefit from low cost shipping. Here at ITWM we have to suck it  up in lost profits.

My question is Canadian. We sell on eBay Canada not eBay USA.  We are Canadian all the way. Representing the Canadian music industry since 1969 we feel it would be hypocritical to bypass eBay Canada to list elsewhere.

That said we exceed the numbers eBay requires but eBay's fine print in the TRS policy states those numbers must be domestic sales.  eBay denies us Top Rated Seller Status merely because we ship internationally. This puts us at a huge disadvantage to our competitors who benefit from a local market and cheap freight.   In fact eBay denies us Top Rated Seller status simply because we sell outside of Canada.

My question is " Is that hypocritical, discriminatory or both?"

ITWM

Message 4 of 18
latest reply

I list mainly sports cards, and have over 3000 active listings for individual cards as of right now. I have other stuff around the house I would like to sell as well in order to make space, but I've heard that if I start listing in other categories suddenly, my account will get flagged as suspicious and I'll have to go through that whole verification process, funds will get put on hold, etc...

My question is, if I list one or two items of clothing for example, that I no longer wear and would like to sell, will that get my account flagged for suspicious activity as it is a change in normal selling categories? If so, would it be better to instead create a seperate account for selling items in completely different and unrelated categories?

Thanks for your time.

Message 5 of 18
latest reply

Hi, I have been selling on eBay for a few years and just wondering if eBay has any tools available that helps small business with book keeping?

Thanks for any assistance you can provide

Cherry Gabriel 

Message 6 of 18
latest reply

Hi Tyler,

I read on the .com boards a couple of months ago that some buyers making offers were required to provide a payment source which would be billed right away if their offer was accepted. We were told by the board reps that this was a test and that it  was buyer generated and applied to just some buyers.

Since then ebay has put a new addition to the Buyer Requirement page so that sellers could:

'Require buyers to provide a payment method before they make an offer.'

1. Does that mean that now all buyers will be required to do that IF the seller checks off that option?

2.  If that is the case, perhaps ebay could make an announcement so that sellers are aware that it is available to all sellers.  Someone said that it was mentioned in a recent seller update but even if it was, I don't think that most sellers are aware of it or that it is now live.

3.  Is ebay considering that to be a requirement on auctions in the future?  (not suggesting whether or not that is a good idea, just curious if it is being thought about)

Thanks in advance.

Message 7 of 18
latest reply

Hello Tyler,

For the packing slip Is there anything in place to permanently add your own custom notes to buyer and removing current suggestions? Thanks.

-Lotz

Message 8 of 18
latest reply

@muchbeat wrote:

Hi Tyler, i am still stuck on the "Update your account details" SIN number page. Tried several MP experts with the same result. No SIN---No play on Ebay.  Some help would be appreciated.   Cheers...

Hi @muchbeat - Providing a SIN is optional, with a possible exception if a gibberish SIN was originally provided (instead of the field being skipped). 

I asked some of the folks I know in payments about this kind of a general error (I can't see your personal details) and they recommend going in and clearing all of the fields and re-entering your info (skipping the SIN field) then saving once more.

Will you let me know if that clears things up? I'll be closing this thread shortly but please start a new one if necessary and at-mention me (type '@' then my handle - tyler@ebay - and choose my photo from the dropdown and it will make sure that I get the notification). 

Tyler,
eBay
Message 9 of 18
latest reply

@wakeel wrote:

Hello tyler@ebay 

I am hoping you can help me with my seller account issue because I have tried everything and have had no luck.  my seller account was restricted on November 29th without any warning emails or explanation other than that it was linked to another account. I called in to customer service and they couldn't tell me anything and offered no help and how to fix the issue. I was told a supervisor would call me but nobody did.  I have been on ebay for 20 years without any bad feedback or any issues and a perfect record. The other account that mine is somehow linked to  belongs to my brother but  he and I don't share anything other than that we are related.  He has contacted ebay as well to resolve the issue but he hasn't had any luck either.  No reason was provided as to why the account was restricted or how to resolve the issue.  I have been trying for 2 months now to speak to someone who can help me get my seller account reactivated but have had no success.  I have contacted customer service and they tell me they can't do anything or provide any info until the issue with the other account is resolved and when he calls they tell him the same thing that they can't do anything and say that a ticket has been opened but then no reply.  I would appreciate any help you can provide.  

thank you so  much.  

ebay member wakeel

Hi @wakeel - I'm really sorry to hear about your account. I cannot assist with an account specific request of this nature, but my preferred go-to folks to work with are the social media team. I come from that department and trust the training and tenure of the teammates there. If you send them a private message via Facebook or Twitter with the details they will work with you to see if there are any options to salvage your account. 

Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 10 of 18
latest reply

Hello tyler@ebay
Is anyone on the board aware that the tracking on eBay a lot of times gives delivery update with a different postal code than the one that is on the buyer address?

I was made aware of this by a costumer who is claiming item not received by saying that the item was delivered to a different postal code. I know I sent this item through shippo, so everything was pre-filled. Anyways when  I went to check the delivery, it confirmed the discrepancy. The last three digits were different. 
Anyways I have checked more of the shipped items and some of them have a "delivered" update displaying a postal code that is different from the one on the shipping label.

I have contacted Canada Post and they are investigating what happened with this particular shipment. They don't know what is going on.

Is anybody here aware of what is going on or have a clue what this is all about?

Could it be a glitch?or something else?

Probably  I will get an update from Canada Post by Friday.

Please let me know. Thanks.

I have been on the phone for hours with Canada Post and they told me that the last scan, delivery, is at last postal office/outlet where is received before delivery and in their opinion the package was delivered at the buyer address. 
How would you guys take care of this with eBay.....

PS: hope I was clear in my explanation

Message 11 of 18
latest reply

@intimewithmusic wrote:

Hi Tyler,

Thanks for taking my question. 

eBay recommends sellers sell internationally. Since 2013  ITWM has done that even though our competitors are in the USA and Asia and they benefit from low cost shipping. Here at ITWM we have to suck it  up in lost profits.

My question is Canadian. We sell on eBay Canada not eBay USA.  We are Canadian all the way. Representing the Canadian music industry since 1969 we feel it would be hypocritical to bypass eBay Canada to list elsewhere.

That said we exceed the numbers eBay requires but eBay's fine print in the TRS policy states those numbers must be domestic sales.  eBay denies us Top Rated Seller Status merely because we ship internationally. This puts us at a huge disadvantage to our competitors who benefit from a local market and cheap freight.   In fact eBay denies us Top Rated Seller status simply because we sell outside of Canada.

My question is " Is that hypocritical, discriminatory or both?"

ITWM

Hi @intimewithmusic - as a Canadian member you are able to qualify for Top Rated status and benefits in two programs: the Global program, or the US program. Both require you to have at least 100 transactions within that program within the last 12 months, in addition to $1000 of merchandise sold within that same time period. You can read more about the requirements here

As far as I'm aware your domestic transaction count for items sold to Canadian members are counted within the Global program, so you should be getting credit for those transactions. Once you hit 100 transactions and $1000 sold within either of those programs you'd be eligible for Top Rated status. 

You can check your progress in the 'Seller Level' section of the Performance tab in Seller Hub (link here). 

Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 12 of 18
latest reply

@canada_goose_whisperer wrote:

I list mainly sports cards, and have over 3000 active listings for individual cards as of right now. I have other stuff around the house I would like to sell as well in order to make space, but I've heard that if I start listing in other categories suddenly, my account will get flagged as suspicious and I'll have to go through that whole verification process, funds will get put on hold, etc...

My question is, if I list one or two items of clothing for example, that I no longer wear and would like to sell, will that get my account flagged for suspicious activity as it is a change in normal selling categories? If so, would it be better to instead create a seperate account for selling items in completely different and unrelated categories?

Thanks for your time.

Hi @canada_goose_whisperer  (great user id by the way, I laughed) - what you describe wouldn't, at face value, subject your account to new holds or limits. 

We could place a hold if we saw you accelerating very rapidly into a new line of business you hadn't delved into before. For example: if you normally sold electronics for years but then overnight listed a massive amount of shoes and they started selling like gangbusters. We could place a temporary hold to make sure that you have your ducks in a row (we'd ask for things like your business plan to grow into the new category, or ask you for proof of merchandise to make sure you actually had the shoes, etc).

One or two items as a stress test to see if they do well on the platform is just fine. There also isn't a problem with selling across categories within the same account - but some members choose to keep things separate for their own record keeping or marketing purposes. 

Tyler,
eBay
Message 13 of 18
latest reply

@gabricherr wrote:

Hi, I have been selling on eBay for a few years and just wondering if eBay has any tools available that helps small business with book keeping?

Thanks for any assistance you can provide

Cherry Gabriel 

Hi @gabricherr  - nice to meet you!

We don't have a specific bookkeeping tool that would be ideal for accounting that I can think of off the top of my head, but if you haven't explored Seller Hub yet I really like that (and I keep hearing rumors that they will be expanding tools in the future). 

Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 14 of 18
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

Hi Tyler,

I read on the .com boards a couple of months ago that some buyers making offers were required to provide a payment source which would be billed right away if their offer was accepted. We were told by the board reps that this was a test and that it  was buyer generated and applied to just some buyers.

Since then ebay has put a new addition to the Buyer Requirement page so that sellers could:

'Require buyers to provide a payment method before they make an offer.'

1. Does that mean that now all buyers will be required to do that IF the seller checks off that option?

2.  If that is the case, perhaps ebay could make an announcement so that sellers are aware that it is available to all sellers.  Someone said that it was mentioned in a recent seller update but even if it was, I don't think that most sellers are aware of it or that it is now live.

3.  Is ebay considering that to be a requirement on auctions in the future?  (not suggesting whether or not that is a good idea, just curious if it is being thought about)

Thanks in advance.

Hi @pjcdn2005 - yes, I was told that this was a feature being tested for wider distribution at a future date. 

With regards to your specific questions:

1. If that option is checked it would apply to all buyers unless they were a part of their exemption list.

2. I would imagine if this feature is made available to everyone that there would be a communication plan put into place to make sure that folks were aware it's an option!

3. I've pressed the team on this in the past (they can be very coy) and it sounds like if it goes well that is exactly their thinking. Unclear on how this test is proceeding, but if more poeple are seeing it on their Buyer Requirements page I think that bodes well!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 15 of 18
latest reply

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

Hello Tyler,

For the packing slip Is there anything in place to permanently add your own custom notes to buyer and removing current suggestions? Thanks.

-Lotz

Hi @lotzofuniquegoodies - not that I'm aware of (other than the customization options when the PDF preview page is available). I had been told that those settings should be 'sticky' meaning once you edit them the page should save those for the next time you go to print a label. If that's not the case would you let me know so I can report it onward?

Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 16 of 18
latest reply

@rio1953 wrote:

Hello tyler@ebay
Is anyone on the board aware that the tracking on eBay a lot of times gives delivery update with a different postal code than the one that is on the buyer address?

I was made aware of this by a costumer who is claiming item not received by saying that the item was delivered to a different postal code. I know I sent this item through shippo, so everything was pre-filled. Anyways when  I went to check the delivery, it confirmed the discrepancy. The last three digits were different. 
Anyways I have checked more of the shipped items and some of them have a "delivered" update displaying a postal code that is different from the one on the shipping label.

I have contacted Canada Post and they are investigating what happened with this particular shipment. They don't know what is going on.

Is anybody here aware of what is going on or have a clue what this is all about?

Could it be a glitch?or something else?

Probably  I will get an update from Canada Post by Friday.

Please let me know. Thanks.

I have been on the phone for hours with Canada Post and they told me that the last scan, delivery, is at last postal office/outlet where is received before delivery and in their opinion the package was delivered at the buyer address. 
How would you guys take care of this with eBay.....

PS: hope I was clear in my explanation

Hi @rio1953 - that sounds unusual for sure. I've seen it happen occasionally in the past but not consistently. I'll need some more examples in order to be able to assist and get this reported. Please keep an eye on your registered email address' inbox and get me a few item numbers I can use with the tech and shipping teams. 

Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 17 of 18
latest reply

tyler@ebay
Community Member

Thanks for joining the chat this week! It's now closed but will return on the 16th!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 18 of 18
latest reply