March 3 2021 Weekly Session

tyler@ebay
Community Member

Hi everyone - 

Opening the chat up for your questions a bit early this week. 

I will be quite busy tomorrow so will be closing the chat from further questions tomorrow morning and will work throughout the day to get responses as I am able. 

Thanks for your understanding!

Tyler

Tyler,
eBay
Message 1 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Hi Tyler,

Since last week nothing has changed. Since I began with Managed Payments last January all of the payouts to my bank have failed "Payment declined. Waiting for retry". Last week I reported the Managed Payments team could see the problem was at their end.  They guaranteed me they fixed they problem but their fix would take 4 days. Well it's been 6 or 7 days and your payments are not being recieved. In the meantime I sold a $280 item that cost $110 to ship. It arrived in Ohio freight damaged.

Since January eBay has taken all eBay fees from my account and from the proceeds of sales with no problem. Today I've put call requests into the MP team 3 times this morning. They sent me emails saying their calls failed. Same phone number, same phone,  tested the phone, battery fully charged. 

In summary, my Managed Payment eBay payouts have ALL failed. Attempts to communicate with eBay has also  failed. I have a customer in Ohio who may need a refund or partial refund. My dog needs expensive medication which I pay for by selling on eBay.   eBay regularly refers to Sellers as "Partners".   I think I'm speaking for others when I ask...

Not when, but how quickly will this be resolved? and

when eBay says, "We can see the problem, it's at our end." Why on earth wouldn't you send our proceeds of sales BACK TO PAYPAL  in the interim so we could at least access our own funds? and

Is eBay going to compensate us for banking costs and lost access to the money and help me deal with my Ohio customer?

Thank you!

Message 2 of 18
latest reply

Good Morning Tyler,

The record is stuck, skipping and spinning continually 🙂 ...

1. Has there been any progress on the fix for the shipping calculation for Small Packet USA Air? Since ebay already has services which use a fuel surcharge I do not understand the delay. and it has now been a very long time for a fix?

2. The eBay label system displays the wrong cost for the label to the seller, This is very misleading to a  seller who thinks they will be charged $7.49 for a label, only to find out at invoice time they will pay $7.92. It is espessially painful when the buyer is only charged $7.74!

I am waiting patiently for news but all I hear are crickets, and the endless skipping record...

Message 3 of 18
latest reply

Hi Tyler,

Re the new forum set up..

There were a couple of things that are missing that I think are fairly important.

1. The posts no longer say who the post is replying to which can be really confusing. If we can't see which post the person is replying to the post can be taken out of context.

2.  When someone replies to a thread, that thread no longer goes to the top like it used to.  So if you reply to a thread that was done a few days ago,  that reply is buried and below any new threads that started. Before the change any new posts brought the thread to the top of the forum.

Message 4 of 18
latest reply

Hello Tyler,

Not sure if you saw the previous tag for this but it needs to be addressed.

With the release of MP the Seller Payment Instruction field was removed from the listing page. I and others relied on it heavily. The information included varied per listing but was the easist way to pass on information to buyers considering most do not read listings in their entirety. Example below.

Seller's payment instructions: 

Please note: I do combine on shipping. Message me prior to payment.

(This applies because there are occasions where buyers purchase multiple units of the same item and pay immediately. eBay's calculator is USUALLY not accurate and if the buyer pays immediately often they DEMAND a refund. Something a seller cannot control and should not result in losing funds because of it.) Because eBay no longer refunds any fees for partial refunds this is the ONLY way to get the message across to buyers about messaging prior to payment. Sadly removing this field  was just another change eBay made without first announcing/advising sellers. Is there any way this field can be returned to listing process?

Thanks,

-Lotz

PS. Is anything being done to fix the "Your post has been changed because invalid HTML was found in the message body" error message? Cutting and pasting directly from eBay is a required evil when responding to anything eBay

Message 5 of 18
latest reply

Why is it necessary for us to provide our Social Insurance Number to receive payments? Also why cant we delete our banking information from the account, if we do not feel comfortable with our banking account number and transit number being on the ebay servers?

Message 6 of 18
latest reply

Re: the new format. Tyler, I very much agree with pj.
When users reply to a thread that thread should be bumped to the top of the list. The current setup discourages conversation. I for one don't fancy having to constantly backtrack to find the thread I'm interested in following and then not know if there's anything new to read.
Bumping threads to the top of the list informs readers that there's new content added to that thread, also the user id of the last reply needs to be displayed.
Message 7 of 18
latest reply

I’m replying to your post. You should be able to see by my username that it’s a reply to your post.

I do agree that there needs to be some way to identify discussions or questions that have been added to since our last visit to the community forums.
Message 8 of 18
latest reply

Discovered this from dot com and their ongoing modifications for the discussion forum. You can get to it from personal icon at top of page.  It will help you customize your discussion preferences. As per dot com, discussions  and more tinkering are an ongoing work in progress.

https://community.ebay.ca/t5/user/myprofilepage/tab/user-preferences

-Lotz

Message 9 of 18
latest reply

Hi I just an email from a friend in the US, this is part of it

"I just got off the phone with Ebay. Their contract with PayPal ran out and they're not renewing it. You have to give them a bank account number in which to put your money from sales in

I'm still not getting emails from this site so I keep forgetting to check it out, so if this has been discussed I haven't seen it. 

So I have 2 questions. The 1st, is ebay dropping paypal in Canada as well?  and if so I have a US account in a US bank where I transfer my payments from my .com sales and a CDN bank where I transfer my .ca sales to a bank here.  How will it affect me?

Message 10 of 18
latest reply

tyler@ebay
Community Member

Hi everyone! I've closed the chat from further replies, but will work on getting answers on these throughout the day as I work with helping .com's Seller Update team. 

Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 11 of 18
latest reply

@intimewithmusic wrote:

Hi Tyler,

Since last week nothing has changed. Since I began with Managed Payments last January all of the payouts to my bank have failed "Payment declined. Waiting for retry". Last week I reported the Managed Payments team could see the problem was at their end.  They guaranteed me they fixed they problem but their fix would take 4 days. Well it's been 6 or 7 days and your payments are not being recieved. In the meantime I sold a $280 item that cost $110 to ship. It arrived in Ohio freight damaged.

Since January eBay has taken all eBay fees from my account and from the proceeds of sales with no problem. Today I've put call requests into the MP team 3 times this morning. They sent me emails saying their calls failed. Same phone number, same phone,  tested the phone, battery fully charged. 

In summary, my Managed Payment eBay payouts have ALL failed. Attempts to communicate with eBay has also  failed. I have a customer in Ohio who may need a refund or partial refund. My dog needs expensive medication which I pay for by selling on eBay.   eBay regularly refers to Sellers as "Partners".   I think I'm speaking for others when I ask...

Not when, but how quickly will this be resolved? and

when eBay says, "We can see the problem, it's at our end." Why on earth wouldn't you send our proceeds of sales BACK TO PAYPAL  in the interim so we could at least access our own funds? and

Is eBay going to compensate us for banking costs and lost access to the money and help me deal with my Ohio customer?

Thank you!

Hi @intimewithmusic - I'm sorry this remains such an ongoing and consistent issue for you and others. As I've mentioned in the past I am not able to assist with these types of managed payments situations. Continuing to work with a payments-trained teammate is the best way forward. 

Tyler,
eBay
Message 12 of 18
latest reply

@flyhooks4less wrote:

Good Morning Tyler,

The record is stuck, skipping and spinning continually 🙂 ...

1. Has there been any progress on the fix for the shipping calculation for Small Packet USA Air? Since ebay already has services which use a fuel surcharge I do not understand the delay. and it has now been a very long time for a fix?

2. The eBay label system displays the wrong cost for the label to the seller, This is very misleading to a  seller who thinks they will be charged $7.49 for a label, only to find out at invoice time they will pay $7.92. It is espessially painful when the buyer is only charged $7.74!

I am waiting patiently for news but all I hear are crickets, and the endless skipping record...

@flyhooks4less - I'm sorry the skipping continues. I don't have an update on this but I continue to escalate it and am consistently told it's being 'worked on'. 

Tyler,
eBay
Message 13 of 18
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

Hi Tyler,

Re the new forum set up..

There were a couple of things that are missing that I think are fairly important.

1. The posts no longer say who the post is replying to which can be really confusing. If we can't see which post the person is replying to the post can be taken out of context.

2.  When someone replies to a thread, that thread no longer goes to the top like it used to.  So if you reply to a thread that was done a few days ago,  that reply is buried and below any new threads that started. Before the change any new posts brought the thread to the top of the forum.

Hi @pjcdn2005 - thank you for these!!

Re 1: we had Khoros add this and you should see the 'last replied' now.

Re 2: I will need to look into this further, I was under the impression that should not have changed when we moved to the new skin. It may be a simple checkbox I missed when installing it, or it may be a thing I need to go to Khoros and have them work on a solution for us. That is super important. 

Tyler,
eBay
Message 14 of 18
latest reply

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

Hello Tyler,

Not sure if you saw the previous tag for this but it needs to be addressed.

With the release of MP the Seller Payment Instruction field was removed from the listing page. I and others relied on it heavily. The information included varied per listing but was the easist way to pass on information to buyers considering most do not read listings in their entirety. Example below.

Seller's payment instructions: 

Please note: I do combine on shipping. Message me prior to payment.

(This applies because there are occasions where buyers purchase multiple units of the same item and pay immediately. eBay's calculator is USUALLY not accurate and if the buyer pays immediately often they DEMAND a refund. Something a seller cannot control and should not result in losing funds because of it.) Because eBay no longer refunds any fees for partial refunds this is the ONLY way to get the message across to buyers about messaging prior to payment. Sadly removing this field  was just another change eBay made without first announcing/advising sellers. Is there any way this field can be returned to listing process?

Thanks,

-Lotz

PS. Is anything being done to fix the "Your post has been changed because invalid HTML was found in the message body" error message? Cutting and pasting directly from eBay is a required evil when responding to anything eBay

Hi @lotzofuniquegoodies - thanks for this input! There are currently no plans to reinstate payment instructions, but I will share how you and others have used that section as a suggestion for a future enhancement. 

Regarding that error message - yes, it's something we're working with Khoros to correct (it's impacting all community sites). You should be able to automatically strip any HTML prior to posting with the Tx option from the additional options in the typing window (screenshot below). If it still gives you headaches will you tag me to a thread and let me know? 

Options.JPG

Tyler,
eBay
Message 15 of 18
latest reply

@ahmad180887 wrote:

Why is it necessary for us to provide our Social Insurance Number to receive payments? Also why cant we delete our banking information from the account, if we do not feel comfortable with our banking account number and transit number being on the ebay servers?

Hi @ahmad180887 - it is not necessary for you to provide your Social Insurance number to receive payments. 

If you are registering and do not wish to provide it please skip the field. Do not input a gibberish SIN - that will cause problems.

Deleting your payout bank information will result in us not being able to push the payments to your account any longer. If you need help changing or adjusting it you should be able to manage that information directly from the 'Payments' tab of your Seller Hub. If you are still unable to get that changed to your preferred bank account consider requesting a call back from a payments trained teammate so they can assist you. 

Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 16 of 18
latest reply

@kawartha-ephemera wrote:
Re: the new format. Tyler, I very much agree with pj.
When users reply to a thread that thread should be bumped to the top of the list. The current setup discourages conversation. I for one don't fancy having to constantly backtrack to find the thread I'm interested in following and then not know if there's anything new to read.
Bumping threads to the top of the list informs readers that there's new content added to that thread, also the user id of the last reply needs to be displayed.

@kawartha-ephemera - I completely agree, and I have to confess that I have been so busy in the past few weeks that I hadn't actually noticed this yet. I checked with the other communities and they're seeing the same thing - we're filing a ticket with Khoros to get this functionality back because it's definitely important. 

Tyler,
eBay
Message 17 of 18
latest reply

@bunbar wrote:

Hi I just an email from a friend in the US, this is part of it

"I just got off the phone with Ebay. Their contract with PayPal ran out and they're not renewing it. You have to give them a bank account number in which to put your money from sales in

I'm still not getting emails from this site so I keep forgetting to check it out, so if this has been discussed I haven't seen it. 

So I have 2 questions. The 1st, is ebay dropping paypal in Canada as well?  and if so I have a US account in a US bank where I transfer my payments from my .com sales and a CDN bank where I transfer my .ca sales to a bank here.  How will it affect me?

Hi @bunbar - it sounds like your friend may be talking about managed payments. To clarify - there are no plans to remove PayPal as a payment method for buyers, but as a seller activated in managed payments you would need to specify a bank account for your funds to be sent to (you will not be able to have money sent to a PayPal account). 

Managed payments is something that is in Canada as well (more information here). Currently when you are asked to register for payments you will need to provide a CDN bank account. Initially you will only be able to receive funds in CAD - but that is changing later this spring (link here). 

If you have more questions about what payments will look like I'd really recommend looking into attending our Seller Meet Up coming up next week (details here). We'll have experts there who will present on topics as well as provide time for Q&A!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 18 of 18
latest reply