can i opt out of the global shipping program. the fees are outrageous and ridiculous! Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

can i opt out of the global shipping program. the fees are outrageous and ridiculous! Thanks

Buyers can not, sellers can.

I avoid buying from sellers that use the GSP.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Buyers can not, sellers can.

I avoid buying from sellers that use the GSP.

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

I don't have an answer but I totally agree.  I seldom have to pay extra customs and taxes, yet they want to collect $30 on the item I am currently looking at.

Sometimes you can't avoid a seller that has something you really want.

Why did eBay do this, especially since it is not optional if the seller offers it??

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

I will too! Thanks
Message 4 of 15
latest reply

As a Canadian seller, you cannot opt IN to the program, so the question is invalid.

As a Canadian buyer, you can ask the seller , before bidding, if he is willing to ship by USPS/CanadaPost. If he agrees, be aware that the GSP is sometimes cheaper than the postal system especially for high value goods. (Under $100, not so much.)

The big difference is that GSP/Pitney Bowes always charges the applicable duty and taxes plus their own processing fee, while Canada Post might or might not.

If Canada Post started to consistently charge the duty and tax they are supposed to, it might do wonders for the Canadian  treasury. The $10 service fee might help CP's bottom line too.

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

me too
Message 6 of 15
latest reply

I hate Global Shipping Program ... dont know who invented it but it is a nightmare for the BUYER.
Why : 1) because you cannot track it properly, why because even if you see the carrier the Global tracking number is not understandable by him. 2) if you had one chance of avoiding the tax at arrival (yes it happens), the GSP kills it.
Message 7 of 15
latest reply

I too avoid the global shipping program. I'll avoid buying from the USA now, often the GSP charges are 125% or more of the shipping charges, why? I don't remember ever paying that much duty...
Message 8 of 15
latest reply

I, too, will not buy from sellers who use the Global Shipping Program. The charges are outrageous--often they are placed on items that simply would no be charged duty at all in Canada. I think Ebay is doing doing a disservice to sellers by encouraging them to use the GSP.
Message 9 of 15
latest reply

i wont buy from them ither.
Message 10 of 15
latest reply

This is not only costly to buyers but also ridiculously slow. I ended up paying 50% to 100% more than what I used to pay for similar size/weight product from US and it takes much longer without proper tracking. I recently bought few items from sellers with gsp but never again.

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

Actually there is no charge on items under $50 by Canada Customs. The $10 fee goes to Canada customs as well as CanadaPost.
Remember, anything that starts on eBay US eventually is applied on eBay Canada as well. Let us stop it now!
I just received an item via GSP that took almost 4 weeks to get here as letter mail instead of the week to 10 days it would normally take.

What a useless and expensive experiment!!!!
Message 12 of 15
latest reply

I will no longer buy from sellers using the global shipping. The fees are outrageous and on items we Canadians would have never paid tax/ duty on before. It's ridiculously expensive and slow as well.
Message 13 of 15
latest reply

Well, I am not in favour of this new GSP scheme and I sure hope it dont come to Canada. I am sure Canada Post will like it, someone collecting cash for them at the buyers expense since Pitney Bowes gets a piece of the action. something like a brokerage fee of $4.99 per transaction. My other beef is it is paid in US $ so right now, the taxes and brokerage fee would be more than if you paid in Cdn $ at the door. Lastly, as mentioned , sometime Canada Post charges nothing and the package is in the mail box and the postie is gone...I cant worry about CP bottom line, if they get fat, the gov find a way to blow it anyway.
Message 14 of 15
latest reply

Please post all questions about the GSP here: Questions about the Global Shipping Program

Please post all comments about the GSP here: Comments about the Global Shipping Program

-----------------------------------------
Help us keep the community friendly and fun for everyone, check out the Guidelines
Message 15 of 15
latest reply