Available Funds.

007v1.1
Community Member
So I don’t want to give eBay all my information (bank, DL, SIN) because it’s a safety privacy issue for me. I’ve had identity theft in my past (a complete and total nightmare.) I want to just close my account as eBay is just give us the info or get off eBay. Problem is, is I have $76 available funds they won’t give me unless, guess what?, I give them the info they want. How do I get the thieves to give me my money? They won’t PayPal or cheque me. Any ideas?
Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Available Funds.

The problem is, for you to have received available funds in the first place, you would have had to agree to their terms of service, which you obviously did or you wouldn't have been able to sell/buy anything. When you agreed to the terms of service, you agreed to supply them with this information (see section 16). Since you are now refusing to supply it, in eBay's view, you are breaking your agreement and therefore eBay no longer has an obligation to you.

Even if you have an old account that was created long before managed payments were added to the agreement, you still agreed for them to make future amendments (see section 22). The only way that I can see you getting around this is if you cancelled your account prior to the managed payment amendment taking effect. Using eBay after the effective date constitutes your acceptance of the agreement. 

Unfortunately, I see no way  to get your money other than providing the information that you agreed to supply them. They do have an article about closing your account and deleting your data which might be of use to you if you do decide to provide the info to get your money before closing your account. 

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Available Funds.

I opened a bank account to keep information at a minimal amount and provided minimum information. eBay accepted that because I was paid when someone purchased an item and the payment was listed as available funds. It completely accepts my “daily payout schedule” however, eBay reviewed the limited information I provided and deemed it not good enough. After 24 years I’m happy to close my account as I cannot risk a security breach, I just want my money.
Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Available Funds.

Hmmm, very odd in that case if you already have a bank account that they have been paying out to for daily sales payments. I've read this a lot on other posts - that meeting these "compliance requirements" are at eBay's discretion and that they can vary considerably. There is no defined explanation from eBay on what the requirements are, only that sellers:

• provide the payments entity with such information about you and/or your business to meet its compliance requirements, including those involving identity verification, anti-money laundering controls, and sanctions screening as we may require; and
  • pass such verification and screening and otherwise meet the compliance requirements of the payments entity, as determined by the payments entity; and

So who knows exactly what those controls, screening and compliance requirements actually entail. It's unfortunate that they want the extra information from you now to close out your account.

I assume you've tried to talk to other reps? Are you calling in or using the chat function to contact them? Phones are the worst, chat/social media DM's are much more effective. 

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Available Funds.

I have contacted eBay reps twice and one , in particular, mentioned that this may be a contamination issue between eBay.com (pre eBay.ca) and eBay.ca.
I want to stress that my identity theft became a serious issue involving Homeland Security/Department of Treasury. I do not give out my personal information anymore. It has been a serious nightmare and yet I am being driven to leave eBay to protect my privacy. I don’t even own a company. I just want my money so that I can leave eBay.
Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Available Funds.

You list on .ca so if your payout currency and bank account are in $C so it shouldn't be a .com problem.  They are in $C correct?  Since you registered in 97 you would have originally registered on .com but as long as you signed up for MP on .ca, I don't think that would be an issue.

Have you double checked that your name when you registered for MP is identical to the name on the bank account?  If one has a middle initial and the other doesnt that could cause a problem.  Your account is a chequing account?

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Available Funds.

What information did you give Paypal to open your account with them?

It's been over 20 years, but I think I gave them my bank account number(numbers actually because PP allows us to attach several bank accounts).

Since PP allowed us to hold a balance until we personally transferred it to our banks (or used it to pay bills) they had less need for the account number verification.

I have vague hope that this extreme vetting will also make it harder to hijack accounts, since the hijacker would not be able to open a Managed Payments account.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Available Funds.

Refer to @t_bjarnason 

I'm sorry to say based on what you have explained, I don't see any form of valid argument. I'm assuming you chose to sell something therefore eBay is not a thief your money is there for you if you comply with their terms and conditions. If you didn't read them or don't agree then it's your fault for selling the item.

The only thing they should not require is your SIN number. For some reason eBay has mine, I likely gave it to them when I originally opened my account.

My only suggestion is if you can show eBay proof you were victim to identity theft, maybe they will be more flexible on the information they require.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Available Funds.

The only thing they should not require is your SIN number.

Yes.

You can voluntarily give your SIN, but eBay/MP cannot require it.

I gave my passport number instead but driver's licenses are also accepted.

It was stupid of eBay not to remove this from the form. It's a cultural thing, I suppose, but Canadians are no more willing to give out that number than to pick a trillium.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply