unreasonable holds on payments

i will never sell on this site again punnished me for going over and above with shipping and fast shipping  buyer had it within 2 days and loved them gave me stellar review and i get my money held over a month...... what a joke this company just bullies you and tells you your screwed till the date over a mont total **bleep** i think i would choose better selling venues this is bad practice ebay not looking out for the seller hold your money as long as they can

Message 1 of 20
latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

Ok nice rant, but too bad you had not reaquainted yourself with this venue and/or checked for changes, policy updates and the like BEFORE listing and selling a very valuable item. Occasional/infrequent/sellers returning to selling after a lengthy absence/former sellers will find themselves in same category as new sellers with listing limits, payment holds,etc and THAT  policy has been in effect for some time now....This is not eBay's fault, this IS NOT eBay bullying> THIS IS eBay POLICY!  and  this is also YOUR lack of knowledge about changes that have taken place on eBay in recent years.....and BTW the policy of withholding payment for up to 30 days(and in some cases longer) IS NOT unique to eBay...Most selling sites have similar policies these days...

Message 2 of 20
latest reply

Until you've been selling for 90 days and sold 25 items your payments will be held until tracking shows delivered, or in 21 days if there's no tracking. They can hold the payment for the full 21 days if you're selling in a high risk category. 

Usually if we are nonUS sellers that period is extended to30 days.

It is, frankly, stupid to sell any high value/high fraud item online as the first item ever sold.

Or to sell internationally.

My rule of thumb is not until you have 10 DSRs, know what DSRs are, and understand their utter unimportance.

BTW have you set up a Managed Payments account? Without that eBay cannot transfer your money into your chequing account.

You need to supply your chequing account information and at least one form of government issued ID. If you don't want to use your SIN, then a passport or driving license.

Avoid the micro-deposits, currency fluctuations make them wonky and also Tangerine which does not cooperate with eBay.

Message 3 of 20
latest reply

my story exactly , i sold an item with local pickup and because i marked it shipped I can't enter the QR confirmation code and everything gets hold for 21 days . not to mention the 15% fee they charged me on my selling price. NEvER again with EBAY! 

Message 4 of 20
latest reply

and the outcome would have been the same had you actually shipped the item locally or otherwise, if you have returned to listing/selling on eBay after a lengthy absence(which seems to be the case according to your feedback on that user name) The payment holds are eBay policy just as payment holds/reserves are policy with most other selling sites these days....and as to the fees you should have already known about the fees BEFORE listing/selling...didn't you check?

https://www.ebay.ca/help/selling/fees-credits-invoices/selling-fees?id=4822

Message 5 of 20
latest reply

@flanderdank590 wrote:

i will never sell on this site again punnished me for going over and above with shipping and fast shipping  buyer had it within 2 days and loved them gave me stellar review and i get my money held over a month...... what a joke this company just bullies you and tells you your screwed till the date over a mont total **bleep** i think i would choose better selling venues this is bad practice ebay not looking out for the seller hold your money as long as they can

@ricci1220 wrote

my story exactly , i sold an item with local pickup and because i marked it shipped I can't enter the QR confirmation code and everything gets hold for 21 days . not to mention the 15% fee they charged me on my selling price. NEvER again with EBAY! 

eBay updates and posts the following general information for members to verify before listing items and selling on the platform, being a BUYER or a SELLER are two very different "kettle of fish" and if you are an occasional Seller, more so... 

https://www.ebay.ca/help/selling

Getting started

• All about selling

Whether you want to make some extra cash, clear out some unwanted items from around the house, or even start a business, it's easy to start selling on eBay.

4 min article
  • Start getting paid on eBay

Getting paid for items you’ve sold on eBay is simple. Your buyers can choose from a range of payment methods, eBay manages the end-to-end payments process, and you receive your funds directly in your chequing account.

2 min article
  • Registering as a seller

When you register as an eBay seller, we'll confirm your identity, chequing account details for payouts, and business details if applicable.

4 min article

As fellow members of the eBay community you should ALREADY be familiar with this section of the site, if you were you would have been aware of the TERMS and CONDITIONS you agreed too when you signed up years ago...

Message 6 of 20
latest reply

I would like to know the reasoning how eBay compares a new seller with 0 experience and absolutely no clue what they are doing or getting into, to a seller with previous experience who's done it all before.

Been a registered member for 24 years with over 1000 transactions including over 200 selling transactions.

Started to sell again after 23 years and have continued the same level of service.

eBay has had my SIN number, credit card number, bank account number, paypal account number, phone numbers, employer details and home address for the last 24 years, so I don't see why the sudden trust issues and having to hold some funds for ridiculously absurd amounts of time.

I can always send them DNA sample, would that help in clearing payments faster?

Also the reason for holding various funds is very inconsistant and random.

Some payments get released as soon as the buyer gets the item, not when they leave feedback to say if they are happy with the item or not. Other payments stay on hold that have been received and are for lesser amounts than items that get cleared upon receipt. One item funds got released after being passed by an authenticator, maybe the item gets lost or damaged before getting to the buyer and yet I already have the funds. Another item funds have been on hold since Feb. 14 when the item was actually received, now it says funds on hold until Mar. 10, if the buyer has issues. I messaged him the day he received it and he is happy with purchase. Still has left no feedback still have not seen a dime.

Don't really want to list any more items until I get fully paid for the stuff that is already out of my hands and will never see again, and don't like the idea of having to wait a month before I get my money. So basically losing potential sales for no reason that makes much sense.

Message 7 of 20
latest reply

In a nutshell, there’s no way for eBay to know for sure that a dormant account is being revived by the same person with the same set of intentions.

It’s a risk management strategy on eBay’s part, not a personal affront.
Message 8 of 20
latest reply

I have been buying stuff for 24 years, with eBay gladly taking a cut of every purchase.

I sold 200+ items many years ago, and have recently sold 12 items and 9 of them have been received by the winning bidders, basically continuing the same level of service where I left off

23 years ago, so I guess I am the "same person with the same intentions".

eBay AI bot management are the problem, and need to be patched, updated, deleted whatever. 

Is it a "risk management strategy" or treat long time customers like fools strategy.

Has any employee worked at eBay for 24 years? probably not. What is the so called risk?

Sending something out the door and not getting the money for a month is a risk.

Not knowing if you can count on those funds 30 days later if the buyer decides they really shouldn't have bought the item because they couldn't really afford it. Not my problem.

I've collected for years and always regret spending the money buying something that I didn't really need but lived with the purchase and moved on after a day, not waiting a whole month to wimp out on a legit purchase because I shouldn't have spent the money.

Besides if a buyer has a problem don't you think you would here about it the second the item was received?

Message 9 of 20
latest reply

The TERMS, Conditions, and Rules we ALL agree to every year, apply to you also,  even if you do not agree with them.

eBay is a Buyer-centric site and why would it not be, that's its purpose to "facilitate" the sales of TAT between humans, so if a member is only an occasional Seller, you should expect restrictions on your account.

And, if you do not agree with those Terms and Conditions and the RULES that apply to every SELLER, then maybe it would be wise to sell from your self-built website where you can do as you wish.

https://www.ebay.ca/help/selling

9 min article

Seller standards policy

https://www.ebay.ca/help/policies/selling-policies/seller-standards-policy?id=4347

https://www.ebay.ca/help/selling/getting-paid/handling-payment-disputes-managed-payments-seller?id=4...

3 min article

Payments on hold

We know it's important that you receive your money as quickly as possible. However, we may sometimes need to put a hold on your funds due to your selling history or performance, or to address disputes. This helps us keep eBay a safe marketplace for buyers and sellers.

In most cases, holds are lifted when a buyer confirms they’ve received their item or when a case is resolved.

To check the date when a payment is expected to be available, select the button below:

Check payment holds

To help ensure eBay remains a safe place to buy and sell, and to meet our legal and compliance obligations, we sometimes place a hold on funds, for example, if there's an open case or dispute on a transaction, if your buyer reports a problem with the order, if your account is restricted or suspended, if you owe eBay money, or if you're a new or infrequent seller. If we placed a hold on your funds, we'll notify you by email and, depending on the reason, may request additional information from you to help resolve the issue.

Types of holds

There are various reasons why we may place a hold on your funds.

Transaction holds

Transaction holds are when we place a hold on funds related to a particular buyer transaction. The funds on hold may be used to refund the buyer for the same transaction.

While proceeds from your sales typically become available within 1 day of confirming the buyer’s payment, we may place a transaction hold on funds while we ensure a successful transaction. To reduce the likelihood of a transaction hold, we recommend posting an item the same day your buyer pays for it and following good postage practices, such as adding tracking information to your order.

Tip
If we place a hold on your funds, it will usually be resolved within 30 days, but in rare circumstances it may take longer. For most orders, adding tracking information can help you receive your funds faster.

Additionally, we may place a transaction hold on funds depending on your seller status, changes to your account status, or other factors we use to help ensure a safe marketplace in all categories, regardless of whether the transaction is covered by our eBay Money Back Guarantee or not:

• New or infrequent sellers will experience transaction holds while learning best selling practices. This helps sellers become established and build a strong selling history on eBay. New sellers typically experience holds for up to 14 days, although sometimes it may be longer
  • Previously restricted or suspended sellers will experience transaction holds for 30 days after the restriction or suspension is lifted, while we confirm that the items have been successfully delivered
  • High priced items or unusual selling patterns may lead to transaction holds for up to 30 days to help us ensure that buyers don't have any issues with the order
  • The authentication process may lead to transaction holds for up to 30 days until the authenticity of items sold with eBay’s Authenticity Guarantee can be confirmed

Payment dispute holds

Payment dispute holds are when we place a hold on funds related to a problem reported by a buyer, regardless of whether the transaction is covered by our eBay Money Back Guarantee or not.

For example, if a buyer reports that an item hasn't arrived, or the item they received is significantly different from the listing description, we hold funds until the case is resolved and closed. For more information see our article on best practices for avoiding and handling issues with buyers.

The funds on hold may be used to refund the buyer for the same transaction.

Payout holds

Payout holds are when we hold funds payable to a particular seller, and usually require further seller action on the account.

• Registration holds: We may hold payouts if we identify a discrepancy with the information you provided at registration. If your account is restricted, we'll notify you by email with a request for additional information. For more information on how to verify your identity, see our article on registering as a seller
  • Compliance holds: eBay maintains policies and procedures to protect buyers and sellers while complying with applicable laws. If your account has a payout hold or restriction for compliance reasons, we'll notify you by email and may request additional information from you
  • Performance holds: We hold your payouts if we identify unusual activity associated with your account, such as increased customer claims, a sudden change in your selling activity, late deliveries, or negative buyer feedback
  • Invalid payment method: We may put your payouts on hold if we can't deduct your selling fees and other costs from any of your on-file payment methods. In this case, you’ll need to add another payment method

Message 10 of 20
latest reply

@armworth wrote:

Has any employee worked at eBay for 24 years? probably not. What is the so called risk?

In a nutshell, there’s no way for eBay to know for sure that a dormant account is being revived by the same person with the same set of intentions.

You're not the same person you were twenty-four years ago, even a year ago.  eBay has no way knowing what version of you they're getting or even if its getting you.  If you've been on eBay for twenty-four years, surely you're aware that hijacked accounts were a problem before it started cracking down on security.

For what it's worth, there was a post on these discussion boards a year or so ago from another seller upset with the payment holds and at some point in the discussion, they suddenly lost their registration on eBay.  Looking at what they had "for sale," there were lots of hints that they didn't have the high-priced merchandise they were selling and that they were hoping to get a quick payout and run with it.

You can blame your fellow sellers for this policy.

Message 11 of 20
latest reply

Frankly,  while I didn't appreciate the process when I returned to selling after a 6+month absence, I worked through it and since then have adopted the policy as a "good thing" and with other selling sites doing likewise,  I believe this is all going to become the norm for all the major selling venues...

Message 12 of 20
latest reply

I get all the rules, before selling again I re-read every article under the selling help section and other sections to see what was changed from when I last sold items problem free and was a new seller that should have been restricted but even back then I wasn't .

I just figured these were rules for fools,

that have no clue

and have zero experience

on what to do

how to sell, describe, communicate

pack items well and don't ship late

feedback, follow up, now payments on hold

Unlisted items are not getting sold

Just lift the embargo and everythings good

and things will be just like they should

Ive had over 1200 transactions in 24 years and have not ran ito one "dormant account" in all that time.

Is that just that I got incredibly lucky and managed to find a good seller 1200 times in a row among the millions upon millions of scammers everyone seems to think are out there or is it more like something

that is being made a bigger deal than it should be.

The number of good accounts to "dormant account" is probably 99.999999% to 000001 %, so EVERYBODY PANIC and everyone is a SCAMMER until proven otherwise. Well maybe proven TWICE for some of our more untrustworthy users.

Message 13 of 20
latest reply

The total of the whole no longer matters>>the total number of transactions doesn't matter, the number of years you have been an eBay member doesn't matter...it's all about the here and now... It is any and all recent selling transactions that matters to eBay...

If you aren't a consistent/regular seller without any lengthy absences, eBay can and does treat sellers as per eBay policy...no ifs,ands or buts...

Message 14 of 20
latest reply

Well, hopefully the 3 weeks I am waiting for payment to clear and not selling anything else until it does clear, won't start/prolong this infrequent seller garbage again.

Message 15 of 20
latest reply

@armworth wrote:

Well, hopefully the 3 weeks I am waiting for payment to clear and not selling anything else until it does clear, won't start/prolong this infrequent seller garbage again.

The good news is that the hold times tend to reduce pretty quickly after you've made a few sales again.

Message 16 of 20
latest reply

I think this 30 day hold on payments for users who have used your platform for almost a quarter century is complete horse rubbish. I would rather go through what the people went through below than put up with this 30 day mindless, classless, clueless, ignorant hold nonsense.

FROM NEWSPAPER

eBay will pay a $3 million criminal penalty for a harassment campaign, including sending live cockroaches, of a Massachusetts-based couple who ran a newsletter that was sometimes critical of the company.

eBay was charged with six criminal offenses, including stalking, witness tampering and obstruction of justice, after several of the company’s employees sent disturbing packages to the home of Ina and David Steiner in 2019, including a bloody pig mask, a fetal pig, live insects and a funeral wreath.

The $3 million settlement, announced Thursday, is the statutory maximum fine for eBay’s charges.

The state’s acting US attorney, Joshua Levy, called eBay’s conduct “absolutely horrific” in the statement.

“The company’s employees and contractors involved in this campaign put the victims through pure hell, in a petrifying campaign aimed at silencing their reporting and protecting the eBay brand,” Levy said.

As part of its settlement, eBay will be required to retain an independent corporate compliance monitor for three years and enhance its compliance program.

In a Thursday statement on the company website, eBay CEO Jamie Iannone called the company’s conduct in 2019 “wrong and reprehensible.”

“We continue to extend our deepest apologies to the Steiners for what they endured. Since these events occurred, new leaders have joined the company and eBay has strengthened its policies, procedures, controls and training,” Iannone said.

According to the US attorney’s statement, eBay employees, including Jim Baugh, eBay’s senior director of safety and security at the time, were frustrated with the tone of the Steiners’ newsletter, which aimed to provide information to eBay sellers. The intimidation campaign, which took place in August 2019, sought to push the couple to change the content of their newsletter.

The disturbing packages included “a box of live cockroaches,” “a book on surviving the loss of a spouse, and pornography.”

The harassment of the couple by eBay employees didn’t stop at gruesome packages, though. The employees traveled to the Steiners’ home in Massachusetts to surveil them and install a GPS tracking device on their car. The employees also posted the couple’s address on Craigslist, inviting the public for sexual encounters at their home.

“We left no stone unturned in our mission to hold accountable every individual who turned the victims’ world upside-down through a never-ending nightmare of menacing and criminal acts,” Levy said.

Baugh, whom Levy called “the ringleader,” was sentenced to 57 months in prison in September 2022. Six other employees also face felony convictions for their involvement in the crimes.

eBay said it terminated all involved employees in 2020, including the company’s former chief communications officer. The former chief communications officer has not been accused of any criminal wrongdoing.

Message 17 of 20
latest reply

Your preference? well I am sure someone somewhere in this big wide world would gladly oblige...

However since this is eBay's sandbox guess you best play by eBay's rules.

Don't like? bye bye...

Message 18 of 20
latest reply

Ahh!!!

Let the weekend rants begin...

Message 19 of 20
latest reply

Hey rants are great, people telling it like it is, don't like it don't read it.

A couple Shills on the other hand.... are sickening to say the least.

Message 20 of 20
latest reply