Buyer Initiated Item Not Received Request in Error

I sent an item via lettermail a few weeks ago, that apparently hasn't arrived. Buyer doesn't contact me, but instead initiates an item not received request. As per my regular response to these types of requests, I respond in the request with a message asking if it's possible it was delivered to a neighbor by mistake, or got mixed in with junk mail, etc. I also sent a PM with a photo of the mailed package. Miraculously, the buyer responds with an "Oops, I did receive that", but still hasn't closed the request yet - even though I explained they needed to if they received the item to avoid my seller account being affected.

Can I get ebay to close it, by looking at messages where she says she did get the package, or can only the buyer do that?

I REALLY wish ebay would enforce buyers to engage with the seller before being allowed to open a request. I think it would discourage scam claims, as well as prevent potential mistakes, just like this one!
Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

@teenytrinkets 

The "request" will close on it's own, it will happen 3 - 4 weeks after it was opened, you don't need to do anything.

I wouldn't bug the buyer about it, they might hit the wrong button and escalate rather than cancel.

You can contact eBay about it but personally I think it's unnessesary calls like this that clog up customer service and have led to it being harder to actually contact eBay for those that really need it.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 2 of 3
latest reply

When is the deadline to refund?  Since there is no tracking it is very likely that ebay will refund even if the buyer does not ask them to step in.   They started doing that sometime last year so I would probably try to contact ebay. I've had that happen and I know a few others have as well.

If the seller hasn't responded or if the buyer and seller can't reach a resolution, they can ask us to step in and help.

eBay may step in without the buyer asking if there is no valid tracking information available

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy...

Message 3 of 3
latest reply