CP tracking website

On 8 August from Victoria I shipped a package to INUVIK, NT by expedited mail. I was curious as to how long delivery would be. Following the CP tracking, I saw that it was processed in Edmonton on 10 August and expected delivery was listed as 25 August.  Okay.  Then by 25 August no new update had appeared on the CP website. On 28 August, a bit concerned. I emailed the buyer to tell him of delay and ask if perhaps it had already arrived. Buyer did not respond and left no feedback.  Finally this morning on 1 September, the CP website showed delivery has been made on 22 August!!!

What I have learned is that the CP website cannot be used for accurate tracking, Also this experience reinforces my belief that buyer feedback is important.  I try to offer reliable service in product and shipping and I spent ten days concerned that the buyer would be upset.  Some kind of buyer feedback would have been very appreciated and of late it is happening less and less. Maybe I care too much.

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

CP tracking website

If you sent the parcel by Expedited Parcel, you have options once the delivery date has passed with no shown delivery on tracking. First, open a trace ticket and that will flush it out fast. Second, open a claim ticket for late delivery if the actual date of guaranteed delivery has passed and you will be refunded your postage cost on it.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

CP tracking website

Thanks for suggestions useful for future. The guaranteed delivery date was 25 August and the actual delivery was 22 August so in this case I do not expect refund. What annoys me is the initial  processing date of 10 August was left on CP website with no change until this morning of 1 Sep.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

CP tracking website

Canada Post has been playing with their website and internal intranet structure lately. There have been service outages on the outside and both slow-downs and changes to workflow on the inside where the postal counter dealers use the CPC computer network. I suspect there are changes of some kind coming down the pike but I wouldn't know what they might be. 

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

CP tracking website

For $1.50 you could have had signature confirmation upon delivery.  I always ship this way within Canada.   0 worries over delivery.  CP website shows the signature.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

CP tracking website

How does a signature make a difference in this situation? If there was no scan showing even though the item had been delivered I doubt that there would have been a signature either.

Unless Paypal or eBay requires a signature, I would rather keep the money for it in my pocket rather than give it to CP for a service that isn't needed. Plus, it is annoying for some people if they are not home and have to make a special trip to the post office because there is a signature needed. If the item is expensive, that may be a different situation as some may prefer that the item not be left in their mailbox.

Just my opinion of course.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

CP tracking website

Maybe this situation would not have happened, if a signature had been required.  Package would have been scanned when picked up, thereby putting it into the system.  Personally, I'd rather spend $1.50 for peace of mind, especially to a remote place like the package in question.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

CP tracking website

Maybe it wouldn't have happened but since the site did show a scan today showing that the item was delivered on Aug 22, I suspect that it was scanned that day but it was not acknowledged on the site until Sept 1. Every seller is entitled to do things their own way of course, I just wanted to point out that a signature doesn't always prevent problems.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

CP tracking website

On 28 August, a bit concerned. I emailed the buyer to tell him of delay and ask if perhaps it had already arrived

This worked out fine, but frankly, I would never ask a customer if he has received his purchase. While most people are honest, some may consider it an imposition to be bugged by a seller, and a few might see it as an opportunity to scam a freebie with a Not Delivered claim.

Unless Paypal or eBay requires a signature, I would rather keep the money for it in my pocket rather than give it to CP for a service that isn't needed.

I generally agree, and prefer Cookie Jar Insurance in any case, but for $1.50 Signature Confirmation is a polite way to reassure the honest customer that the seller is watching out for his security, and to remind the potential scammer that Big Brother is watching.

But only on items I would hate to lose. Over $100 and under the $650 requirement for SC.

Inuvik's not that remote.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inuvik

Message 9 of 9
latest reply