Canadian calculated Shipping on large heavy boxes - is there a way?

Good morning and happy Canada day everyone,

I've sold on a few other platforms and I am now just getting started with ebay.

I am having a hard time with the shipping system to figure out estimated shipping costs. Most of my packages are 45"x25"x25" and weight 40-50 lbs. The calculated shipping doesn't allow for these larger boxes.

For provincial and one to the east and west I am okay with a rough values as I have a small profit buffer that I don't mind getting eaten. However, some more rural or off the path areas shipping costs are almost the same or more as my products.

Is there a way for the system to calculate correct shipping for these, or is there a system I just don't know about yet?

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

@mannequincity wrote:
... Most of my packages are 45"x25"x25" and weight 40-50 lbs.
Is there a way for the system to calculate correct shipping for these, or is there a system I just don't know about yet?

45"x25"x25"  == 115cm x 64cm x 64cm

40 to 50 lbs == 19kg to 23kg

Your package is over Canada Post normal size limits which is why the calculator does not work. https://www.canadapost.ca/tools/pg/manual/PGpscanada-e.asp

Canada Post has an out-of-spec surcharge for big boxes of $125

There is also an oversize surcharge of $12 if longest side exceeds 1 metre (39 inches).

I assume you have no way to reduce the box size?

You might want to check shipping rates with CanPar, FedEx and UPS and get some estimates.

eBay does allow you to set up a flat rate shipping cost table(s) for different sections of Canada if calculated is not an option for you.

-..-

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Canada Post went metric in 1974.

Any other measurements are guesswork.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Is there an easy way to set up a flat shipping template that I can apply it to various standard sizes I deal with?
For my business we use a freight/shipping company that does the calculations but we can generate estimate quotes with that. If I managed to find 5-10 averages to apply for my products is there a template like process so I do not need to go into each item?

Thank you!
Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Ah, well in North America (that is where Canada and The United States resides) there is unfortunately still a 10:1 ratio of those using Imperial. I also had the basic math and excel skills to, when putting into ebay, know how to multiply x * 2.54. The boxes are too big for the system generated outputs. Which is why I am asking for assistance.
Message 5 of 7
latest reply

@mannequincity 

Sounds like dimensional weight rates will apply to your items and why they would be considered oversized with Canadapost.  Specifications attached for Canadapost. Calculator attached for UPS/Fedex. Note: Density factor varies ground vs air.

Canadapost:

The formula we use to calculate the volumetric equivalent of the item's actual weight is:

Cubic volume ÷ density factor = volumetric equivalent actual weight.

The density factor is a number that reflects the fact that items weighing a certain amount are generally of a certain size or volume:

• We apply a density factor of 5,000 (when measuring in cubic centimetres) or 139 (when measuring in cubic inches) to Priority, Xpresspost and Expedited services, as well as all U.S. and international services (excluding Tracked Packet and Small Packet)
  • We apply a density factor of 6,000 (when measuring in cubic centimetres) or 166 (when measuring in cubic inches) for the Regular Parcel service

UPS/Fedex:

Multiply the package length by the width by the height. The result is the cubic size in inches or centimetres. Divide the cubic size by 139 if measured in inches, or by 5,000 if measured in centimetres, to determine dimensional weight.

Calculator:

https://shippingeasy.com/dimensional-weight-shipping-calculator/

-Lotz

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

You set up your shipping rate table(s).

For each listing you select flat rate shipping and then choose which table to apply. The help file indicates you can also do a bulk edit on your listings (I've never tried that option).

https://pages.ebay.ca/seller-centre/shipping-returns/shipping-rate-tables.html

Good luck and happy sales.

-..-

Message 7 of 7
latest reply